Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 8:03:33 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a small revolver for a back-up gun but I have had zero experience with revolvers so can anyone suggest a good one? It needs to be at least a .38 special and light and probably hammerless. Quality.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.smith-wesson.com/products/firearms/airlitesc/images/360PD_163064.jpg[/img]
Model 360 PD
.357 Magnum®
.38 S&W Special +P
AirLite Sc™
"Personal Defense"
Specifications
Action: Single Action, Double Action
Frame: J-Small
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1-7/8"
Hammer: .240" Semi-Target
Trigger: .312" Smooth Target
Front Sight: Light Gathering HIVIZ® Orange Dot
Rear Sight: Fixed Notch
Grips: Hogue Bantam  
Weight: Approx. 12.0 oz.
Other Features: Lanyard Pin
Overall Length: 6-5/16"
Material: Scandium Alloy Frame, Barrel Shroud and Yoke; Titanium Cylinder; Stainless Steel Barrel Liner
Finish: Black/Grey
Suggested Retail: $805.00
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Revolver?  Arent those the doors at the malls that go round and round?

You'll be happier with a small Sig like a P239.  Its not much bigger and its actually thinner.  10+1 versus 5 or 6.  It is a bit heavier though.  But if you are more familiar with autos.  I would go this route instead of getting a weapon you will not be comfortable with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
For a pocket gun, I have a little Tarus 85CH, .38special with a Crimson Trace grip and a tuned trigger.  It has a bobbed hammer for shooting from the pocket,,lol.  It is handy for bike riding or walking the 'hood. I live in a nice area of town, but some white trash with a loose pitbull or beer bottle throwing redneck seems to be lurking around.  It has gotten worse since they built a Wal-Mart a mile or so away.
I bought it nearly 10 years ago, I figured it was going to get worn to shiny metal in my pocket so I bought a Tarus instead of a S&W that was three times the money. It fits in your backpocket just fine or a coat pocket.  Autos are ok, but I KNOW this one will fire and never stovepipe or hang up on loose clothing.  Never had a problem or regreted not having an auto.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Taurus 85 ultralight.  Mostly titanium and a lot less expensive than the smith.  However, watch the recoil.  Even with 38spec, being an ultralight, it kicks like a big bore.  However, it is an extremely reliable, very accurate and well made little revolver.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Even though I personally don't carry concealed, I have a
[url=http://www.smith-wesson.com/products/firearms/images/small/sw163816.jpg]38SPL titanium cylinder/aluminum framed concealed hammer S&W 342PD[/url]. The concealed hammer/hammerless revolvers in the S&W line are called the Centennial®.

S&W also has their
[url=http://www.smith-wesson.com/products/firearms/airlitesc/m340pd_163062.htm]357Rem Mag titanium cylinder/scandium-aluminum framed concealed hammer S&W 340PD[/url], at 12ozs but I find the 38SPL version to be a handful already, let alone a 357 version.

S&W also has their
[url=http://www.smith-wesson.com/products/firearms/images/small/sw162810.jpg]38SPLsteel cylinder/aluminum framed concealed hammer S&W 442[/url] that weighs in at 15ozs and costs around $400.

If the money factor is a factor, I can also recommend a lot less expensive but equal to the S&Ws are the Taraus revolvers. The Taraus' weight a bit more, but it costs a whole lot less.
[url=http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=850SHC&category=Revolver]CIA MODEL 850 .38 Spl. REVOLVER IN TOTAL TITANIUM[/url]

Personally for me, if I were in backup-mode, firing a revolver is a cinch even with a limp wrist weak-handed. I believe there was a report of shooting involving a Houston PD guy was killed because he was injured and his pistol mal-functioned.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Ruger SP101
comes in hammerless versions, functions well, handles well, shoots well--its hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
S&W 642 Airweight.  Light enough without being painful to shoot like the ultralites.

Ive used mine for 7 years problem free.

[img]http://www.smith-wesson.com/products/firearms/images/standard/sw163810.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know how to hot link a site, but go to www.charterfirearms.com...its a little place in CT that make inexpensive revolvers.  They have the hammerless models, and I've never had nor heard of any problems with them.  They come in all sorts of calibers, including .38
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ruger SP101
comes in hammerless versions, functions well, handles well, shoots well--its hard to beat.
View Quote

Yup and get it in .357 mag. If you are ever down to your backup you WANT .357 mag.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum.

Its heavier than the rest, but will take .357 magnum rounds forever.

I can shoot 125 grain magnum rounds all day out of it. 158 grain loads will give me blisters.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Hands down, the SP101.
Backup? I use this as my primary.
After you get a hogue grip and shoot it a few times it will be your primary as well.

Seriously, I can't think of a real world situation that as a civilian where I would need 17 rounds to protect me in public.

[img]http://208.161.103.89/images/revolverfinal.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#13]
The reason I'm considering a revolver is because I recently took a class where the instructor advocated revolvers as back-up weapons opposed to semi-autos because of the "theory" that if you are using a back-up weapon you will probably be in a grappling stiuation and with a semi-auto it is possible to "short stroke the slide (physical contact with gun) or limp wrist the gun" causing a malfuntion. I already have a AMT .45 Back-up that hit hard and is reliable but I'm wanting to check out revolvers. I am more than likely wrong about what I'm about to say but as a back-up you can get away with a cheaper gun. I will not be target shooting with it so trigger pull wouldn't be a big factor. I need it to shoot everytime and shoot striaght and not be to heavy.

Thanks for the suggestiona guys!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a S&W 642 for quite a while, no real complaints, other then I do not shoot J frames as well as I would like (Very large hand). I switched to something a little different, a Colt Cobra, with a slightly bobbed hammer, and factory hammer shroud. I like it, and more importantly shoot it much better then the J frame. YMMV.
S/F
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seriously, I can't think of a real world situation that as a civilian where I would need 17 rounds to protect me in public.

View Quote

Shit I can.

I have a volume of fire doctrine. I think the SP101 is a great backup, and even a decent primary for most people.

That said I usually carry a large capacity atuo with 3 spare mags. Car jack me and I'll probably dump a entire mag as my first response.

The object is for me to be "allowed to leave." Massive, overwhelming volume of fire usually convinces even the most aggressive attackers to allow you to leave.

In South Florida car jackings and muggings usually involve multiple participants.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a S&W 637.  I carry it in my front pocket, less noticeable than a cell phone.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#17]
S$W 442. Its all black, light weight, and has a shrouded hammer for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
In my neck of the woods there was around 1200 violent felonies commited last year by 3 or more individuals. I just don't wanna get killed for lack of shooting back!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#19]
You can not go wrong with any of the S&W Airweights. I have carried one like Lump's (except black) on my ankle on the job for over 5 years. No failures (obviously) and low maintainance.

The SP-101 is a GREAT weapon but too heavy IMO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top