Posted: 9/24/2004 10:19:14 PM EDT
What does that do?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Messes it up.

Want hardcore automotive revenge?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Mythbusters busted this myth a few months ago.

Sugar had no effect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposed to, except it didn't work on mythbusters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah they tried a bunch of stuff and if I remember correctly the only thing that went into the gas tank that changed anything was mothballs. And actually I think it made it run better! They put suger and bleach and something else . Then they put bleach in the engine oil and THAT screwed it up pretty good. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A tube of valve grinding compund in the oil messes it up bad.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard about stuffing plastic bags in the tanks. Anyone know about that or if it does damage?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I know for a fact liquid plumber works wonders.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The powder from one 06 round in a cylinder does a job too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive heard of sticking a gas soaked rag in the tank and then lighting it on fire can do some damage to your car.  But I might be wrong
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ive heard of sticking a gas soaked rag in the tank and then lighting it on fire can do some damage to your car.  But I might be wrong

_Ugly_ if you see this..... FLAMING SUZUKI!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No posting of illegal activities, please.

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government

its not illegal if you do it to your own vehicle
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No posting of illegal activities, please.

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government

None of the guys were advocating ever USING these techniques.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I heard about stuffing plastic bags in the tanks. Anyone know about that or if it does damage?

Styrofoam beads ...................
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What does that do?

the problem with using sugar is that sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. The most it would do is clog the filters. Probably only clog the sock on the fuel pump.

Easy fix. no permanent damage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#17]
For info purposes only, anyone know what works in a diesel tank?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Av Gas
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Styrofoam beads ...................

Smells like.. victory!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

_Ugly_ if you see this..... FLAMING SUZUKI!!!!!

Fourth of July.....
Midnight.....
Cursed Suzuki Quad with a cracked swingarm...
Huge gravel lot filled with campers...
A few beers.
Some gas, rags and road flares...

FLAMING SUZUKI!!!!!  

But other than that, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Bull shit sugar is bad shit,in your body,gas tank,or sink drain!!!

Sugar is a solid that is grainulated from cane and when turned into a liquid turns back into a solid when cooled or evaporated out!  Same as pasta as long as its wet its cool,put pasta into a sink drain line then let it dehydrate whamo back to rock hard pasta again!!

If you can get sugar to mix in the tank ,then get it to flow through the carb jets then into the cylinders it under heat will turn into candy apple material!

You shut the engine off then the hot flowing maple surip mixture will harden!

And it will harden in the cylinder walls,carberator ,intake manifolds and compression rings!

The engine may well be toast(as the starter moter wont overcome the tourqe against it(complete upper rebuild reqired)!

I you could get water&sugar mix in the oil pan there is no telling the ammount of dammage that could concur!

Sugar not to be played with!!!

Bob

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

the problem with using sugar is that sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. The most it would do is clog the filters. Probably only clog the sock on the fuel pump.

True . Unless you add a few ounces of water along with it .......
Then it really screws up a fuel injected vehicle
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Mythbusters busted this myth a few months ago.

Sugar had no effect.

+1

One engine actually ran better (!)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine that they would disolve quickly, maybe leave a little goo, that might plug a fuel filter.

I know for a fact liquid plumber works wonders.

Never tried Liquid Plumber, but it does about the same as Drain-o, and I found out that when you mix it with Gasoline it really does make for an exciting time.

Depending on the plastic, probably WON'T melt.... Most are made of polyethylene, same stuff gas tanks are made of nowadays.  

Of course, there's plenty of different kinds of plastic, but not very many melt when in contact with gas.  Styrofoam WILL though, and leaves a nasty gloppy mess in the tank.  

The thought behind stuffing bags in a tank is that they'll get sucked up around the fuel pump/pickup tube, and choke off the engine.  This DOES work, but really with no reliability as you cant guarantee that the bag will not be blocked by the in-tank baffles that are inside of most tanks, designed to prevent stalling caused by fuel slosh .

Easiest way to kill a car is to just  top off the tank with plain water, as gas will float on it, leaving the pump to suck up the water, push it all the way to the engine, and stop the sucker right on the spot.

A major pain to fix, since you need to drain and flush the tank, AND all the fuel lines, along with the injectors rails, cylinders and the rest.   Will certainly put it in the shop for a couple days without doing any real damage.  

And plain old candle shavings (wax) will glop up a diesel pretty well, as it causes the fuel to gel up, but you'd have to use a lot of it to get it to work

Of course, I'd never advise doing such, purely for informational purposes !....  
po-po toss ya in the clink right quick !

ETA, also, gasoline added to the oil will do a real number on any engine...  Causes the main bearings to seize usually.  Not a pretty sight.... highly unrecommended !
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bull shit sugar is bad shit,in your body,gas tank,or sink drain!!!

Sugar is a solid that is grainulated from cane and when turned into a liquid turns back into a solid when cooled or evaporated out!  Same as pasta as long as its wet its cool,put pasta into a sink drain line then let it dehydrate whamo back to rock hard pasta again!!

If you can get sugar to mix in the tank ,then get it to flow through the carb jets then into the cylinders it under heat will turn into candy apple material!

You shut the engine off then the hot flowing maple surip mixture will harden!

And it will harden in the cylinder walls,carberator ,intake manifolds and compression rings!

The engine may well be toast(as the starter moter wont overcome the tourqe against it(complete upper rebuild reqired)!

I you could get water&sugar mix in the oil pan there is no telling the ammount of dammage that could concur!

Sugar not to be played with!!!

Bob

brown sugar is worse
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#27]
as I understand it there are at least 3 filters on a FI system. One on the fuel pump, at least 1 inline and 1 at each injector. So I still think you would be safe. The sugar would dissolve a little with the water but not enough to cause a problem.

There are much better ways to screw with a car.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I heard about a guy that dropped the oil pan and put a large amount of sugar, then put the oil pan back up on the car.  Seized up everything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True . Unless you add a few ounces of water along with it .......
Then it really screws up a fuel injected vehicle

Guess you better email Myth Busters so they can try it again!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
as I understand it there are at least 3 filters on a FI system. One on the fuel pump, at least 1 inline and 1 at each injector. So I still think you would be safe. The sugar would dissolve a little with the water but not enough to cause a problem.

There are much better ways to screw with a car.[/quot

I concur as I am talking about the kind of vehicles that I have(old fashioned Carb)!

My oldest is a 4.1 liter inline six 250 K-10 with a four speed Borge&Warner!

My Newest a 1982 Royal 3/4 conversion van Dodge (360) same old shit Carb  No FI!

Six chevy chyenne 28 mpg,Dodge van 18 mpg!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Bleach works, It'll stop an engine for good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Guess you better email Myth Busters so they can try it again!

I musta missed that one , but if they didn't add water the sugar won't disolve .

Try it yourself .  Pour some gas on a glass bottle , add some sugar ..... nothing happens

Now add a teaspoon of water and let it sit over night .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top