Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 10:37:50 PM EDT
How many suburbanite's here shoot on your own property?  Occasionally I hear gun shots from one neighbor whos a hunter so I pay no attention, but tonight while having a smoke it sounded like there where two handgun gunshots within two seconds next door.  I'm to paranoid to shoot on my property, but so far no cops have showed up where the shots came from.  Do any of you shoot on your land or commonly hear gunshots?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I live on the outer edge of town, but still pretty heavily populated area. someone across the street from me pops off a couple 22 rounds(from the sound of it) atleast twice a week. I have thought about shooting the rabbits that wander through my yard , but they aren't hurting anything so I let them be......for now
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Illegal here in CT.... figured you'd know that... not within city limits.
Which, at least where I live here, rules out anywhere...

Don't have any friends further upstate.  Major drag..
Have to go to a stupid range to do any shooting, when you're me  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yea I heard about the city limits law before and I figured someone would have called in the shots to the cops since this is Fairfield county and this place is more like an extension of NYC then it is part of CT.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The regulations here in my town don't prohibit shooting on your own property , but
it must comply with 3 other Regs

1 - 500 feet from an occupied dwelling ( Yours doesn't count )

2 - Projectiles (Bullets , Arrows . Etc ) must be contained within your property .

3 - Any applicable noise ordinance . ( pretty much ,daylight hrs your OK )

Meet those and your free to shoot till your out of ammo .

Most towns are similar under a certain population density , but you need to go to your
town hall and look it up yourself . No one was sure at the clerks office when I inquired
and when we finally found it , the reg was written in 1902 and amended in 1971

_____________________________ ETA __________________________

I'm not far from Fairfield County , about 20 miles west of Danbury into NY
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey-all no!

Firing weapons within city limits (outside of a shooting range) will get you some time behind bars.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The regulations here in my town don't prohibit shooting on your own property , but
it must comply with 3 other Regs

1 - 500 feet from an occupied dwelling ( Yours doesn't count )

2 - Projectiles (Bullets , Arrows . Etc ) must be contained within your property .

3 - Any applicable noise ordinance . ( pretty much ,daylight hrs your OK )

Meet those and your free to shoot till your out of ammo .

Most towns are similar under a certain population density , but you need to go to your
town hall and look it up yourself . No one was sure at the clerks office when I inquired
and when we finally found it , the reg was written in 1902 and amended in 1971

_____________________________ ETA __________________________

I'm not far from Fairfield County , about 20 miles west of Danbury into NY

I think my town laws are similiar, it just might be legal to shoot here, but I'm afraid cops would get called which wouldn't be worth the hassle.  

Oh yea, if your close to Danbury do you ever shoot over at Wooster?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]

I shoot in some strip pits by the house.  It's county jurisdiction and the land owners have apparently forgotten about their acres for quite some time, so it's open season for taking out old electronics, tannerite, compressed containers, etc...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I heard about the city limits law before and I figured someone would have called in the shots to the cops since this is Fairfield county and this place is more like an extension of NYC then it is part of CT.

HA !    you live in the same dump I do....

What town ?  I grew up in Stamford, but live in Norwalk now
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?  I'm on the border of New Canaan, right by Norwalk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Here (Ohio) there is a state law that is something to the effect of shooting must be 150' from somebody else's structure or 50' from their property line unless you have permission from the owner.   Many City's have ordanances, however most of the suburbs in this area are in the township.  

I used to live in the township and most lots in that area are 150' by 100' (thereby making it not legal without permission from all nearby dwellers, presuming most houses are somewhat centered in the lot).  Many people shot rabbits, targets, etc.  Many time the Sheriff was called.  On every occasion I am aware of, the Sheriff Deputy told the compaintant that no laws are being broken and there is nothing they can do if it stays contained on there property.

I never corrected them, but I didn't feel it was safe.  I took all of my shooting elsewhere.

-Dan
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I hear the COs and cops at the Danbury FCI shooting all the time.

However, I am sure my neighbors would complain if I lit off my own.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I do, but only suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I felt compelled to log in and tell you folks that AFAIK in most cities (including mine) that have ordinances against firing within city limits, the most they can do is fine you, not put you in jail.

In fact, I'm not sure cities even have the power to make violation of ordinances arrestable offenses?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,  Small world  sucks having to go to friggen danbury to shoot, don't it....

Live in East Norwalk, near 95 - exit 16   Trade ya ?  much rather live where you do
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I shoot at home a lot. See post above about Ohio. Several of my neighbors do, too (though not as often).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#16]
That's what .22 sub sonic ammo and especially Super Colibris were made for....and no, I don't .
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm about 3 miles outside of city limites so I can shoot. I do have neighbors that I have to consider so I've set up a 25M range for testing and sighting in but I don't do any "real" shooting there. There is a guy that lives across the road from me that shoots up a storm, I guess he's got a better place to shoot.   By the by, it'll suprise you at the kind of small arms projectiles an 18" box of dirt will stop.  I have an 18"x18"x24" box that I filled with dirt and it's stopped everything that I've shot at it, including a .54cal percussion Sharps and a 7.5x55mm Swiss(168gr BTHP @2500fps.) Dirt is a very good bullet stopper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in the suburbs, and the one thing I have tried is my chronograph on a bunch of air rifles and air/CO2 pistols. Tech Force 99 actually delivered it's advertised FPS, btw. Some guns showed a lot of imagination with their reported fps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How many suburbanite's here shoot on your own property?  

A friend of mine owns a "farm" (about 20 acres) less than one mile outside city limits.  20 years ago the closest house was miles away. Now you can throw a rock and hit a row of 5 brand new houses to the north. Our backstop is the treeline to the east. We still shoot there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I live within city limits, so it is ilegal (and unsafe where I am).  Every now and then I will use a .22 birdshot to kill a poisonous snake.  I keep some firecrackers on hand so I can say that is what is is in the event anyone asks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#21]
i shoot at least once a week on my property. most of the neighbors do too. almost all the lots sizes are over two acres. the back of my property butts up to a farm field. put in a nice back stop and i am good to go. the guy across the street had the sherrif stop out while he was shooting, someone must have called, all the sherrif did was make sure he had a good backstop.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I live within city limits, so it is ilegal (and unsafe where I am).  Every now and then I will use a .22 birdshot to kill a poisonous snake.  I keep some firecrackers on hand so I can say that is what is is in the event anyone asks.

Firecrackers are illegal here. Shooting is not.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#23]
*I* would never shoot on my own property, but a "buddy" of mine has a few times in the past couple years.

My, I mean his, dog had a huge groundhog cornered.  The thing was perched in it's rear feet and ready to attack.  He called off the dog, and shot it with the 12 gauge.  (Elevated position, shot all went into soft dirt).

A few weeks later he had a skunk infestation problem that couldn't be solved with creative use of chemicals.  He shot one with a .38 from a .357 revolver.  At that point he decided his collection was a little loud for the neighborhood and obtained a .22 rifle instead.

A neighbor occasionally picks off grey squirrels.  They've done some damage to his home, so I think he has a vendetta.  The guy deer hunts, so I'm not too worried about him watching his background.

I would only advocate shooting inside city limits out of necessity.  It's not smart, since bullets do weird things, and it'd be tragic to have a richochet go into a neighbors house.  

That said, if you HAVE to shoot something, do it from an elevated position, and WATCH YOUR BACKGROUND.

Use something quiet if you're worried about neighbors calling the cops.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#24]
pretty much can sit on the back porch and shoot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Question:

Other than using subsonic ammo, what suppressive efforts for a .22 are legal other than that involving paperwork?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I felt compelled to log in and tell you folks that AFAIK in most cities (including mine) that have ordinances against firing within city limits, the most they can do is fine you, not put you in jail.

And I feel compelled to say that since I live in the unincorporated part of my county and my rounds don't leave my private property, they  can kiss my ass.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,  Small world  sucks having to go to friggen danbury to shoot, don't it....

Live in East Norwalk, near 95 - exit 16   Trade ya ?  much rather live where you do

Yea, really really small world.  Gonna have to pass on that trade though I've had some bad experiences in that area before
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#28]
They had to pass special legislation in Huntington Beach to have a paintball tournament on the beach near the pier.  Wasn't and still isn't legal to shoot paintball "guns" in city limits.  I have shot my airsoft, pellet guns and some Colibri .22(in the barn) and will still do it occasionally.  I don't hear what I think are gunshots very often but I think it's happening about once a month nearby.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How many suburbanite's here shoot on your own property?  

I define suburbanite as soemone who lives on one of those little 1/4 acre plots. Those folks don't have enough distance from their neighbors to legally shoot on their property. I have my own range, but we have more land than that to work with, too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#30]
On occasion I shoot Colibris in the garage.  I can't shoot those or an air gun outside because my neighbor's stupid dogs freak out and tear up his house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top