Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 10:09:00 AM EDT
Picked up The Director's Cut of DAS BOOT at Walmart yesterday for $7.50. Haven't seen the movie in years.

Question is; Do modern subs groan and squeak as bad as the old subs of WWll age when they submerge? It's the nature of the beast of course, as it's the water pressure increasing on the boat's hull. But one would think that more modern, technologically advanced subs would stand up to the increased pressures better.

I'm sure they do, but to a lesser degree, maybe?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#1]
no

experience- 4 years 688i
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
no

experience- 4 years 688i

Cause of the circular pressure hull?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
From my experience as a former U.S. submarine sailor, no they don't creak or groan.  Great measures are gone thru to make the submarines as quite as possible.  Everything is mounted on sound isolation mounts (usually rubber) from machinery to the actual decks that we walked on.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#4]
But they still will get compressed as they dive deep.  The round hulls and double hulls make them much stronger and durable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]

FUCK YOU, GOD!  NOTHING gets through HY-80!

-Blind Man's Bluff
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FUCK YOU, GOD!  NOTHING gets through HY-80!

-Blind Man's Bluff

Excellent book...a must read if you already haven't
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

NOTHING gets through HY-80!

-Blind Man's Bluff

or HY-100 on ice boats
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
As one submarine Captain said, "The only way to look for a US Navy sub is to look for a completely quiet hole in the water."
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't mean to hijack, but this seemed an appropriate place:

When the forward room of the submarine was flooding in the film Ice Station Zebra, the crew opened these air vents in the first two compartments and said they were "bleeding air."  What was that about?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
An old friend of mine was in the Subs at Subic Bay P.I. told me that Submarines was the true
Navy, all the rest were just targets
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When the forward room of the submarine was flooding in the film Ice Station Zebra, the crew opened these air vents in the first two compartments and said they were "bleeding air."  What was that about?

Did not see the movie, but it sounds like they were bleeding air into the forward ballast tanks.  They are open to the water at the bottom, and bleeding air into them will force water out equalizing our flooding.

US Subs seem to have a pretty large safety margin for flooding.  It was surprising to see, in drawings, how much water could be in the people tank and still be able to stay afloat.  I would love to say more, but I don't  want NIS to come knocking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
They pop and crack some when changing depth.

3yrs on 637 class.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did not see the movie, but it sounds like they were bleeding air into the forward ballast tanks.  They are open to the water at the bottom, and bleeding air into them will force water out equalizing our flooding.

US Subs seem to have a pretty large safety margin for flooding.  It was surprising to see, in drawings, how much water could be in the people tank and still be able to stay afloat.  I would love to say more, but I don't  want NIS to come knocking.

Actually in the film it appeared that they were forcing air into the two forward crew spaces after one of the torpedo tubes was opened to sea.  (The tube door controls were sabotaged.)  At first I thought they were trying to minimalize the flooding by equalizing the pressure, but after the door was closed, they continued to "bleed air."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top