Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2015 10:30:42 PM EDT
I haven't bought a foreign vehicle since 1990. That was a Nissan 4 banger 2 WD pickup. Everything before or since was a US automaker. Today I traded my Buick for a Subaru BRZ. Someone recently told me that all Subarus sold in the US were assembled in the US. I just looked it up, not the BRZ. Now I feel guilty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You can easily use the VIN to find the vehicle's origin

It just the Legacy and outback that are made in indiana, the rest are from japan
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Most "U.S. cars" aren't really U.S. cars anymore anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your wife drive the truck?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I haven't bought a foreign vehicle since 1990. That was a Nissan 4 banger 2 WD pickup. Everything before or since was a US automaker. Today I traded my Buick for a Subaru BRZ. Someone recently told me that all Subarus sold in the US were assembled in the US. I just looked it up, not the BRZ. Now I feel guilty.
View Quote

You dont sound like the type of person that would end up in a BRZ. Buick for a BRZ?

Anyway, just console yourself with the thought that you gave up a car assembled by unionized slobs for a car that is a smile producing drift machine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most "U.S. cars" aren't really U.S. cars anymore anyway.
View Quote

This.  We have a global economy.  Something as complex as a car is "made" in 30 different places anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Slap a turbo in that mother fucker.,
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Picks?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
12 / 07 / 1941
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Well that is quite the change.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking of getting a Crosstrek later this year.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does your wife drive the truck?
View Quote

The Jeep or the F-150, the Nissan was totaled years ago
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
dupe, sorry
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]

for
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Good trade.

It must feel good to have a pulse.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the outback, the cross trek is gutless.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

salesman said they're selling a lot of the Crosstreks, but he said it's an Impreza frame lifted to 8", otherwise identical, a true "crossover" he said. I didn't tell him none of this was a selling point for me, but then, I was in a different frame of mind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cargo space sucks Dick's too in the Crosstrek. Wife has one if you want to put anything more than groceries or a suitcAse in the back good luck. With the CVT it is plenty peppy taking off and accelerating for 99.9% of daily drivING tho.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

salesman said they're selling a lot of the Crosstreks, but he said it's an Impreza frame lifted to 8", otherwise identical, a true "crossover" he said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

salesman said they're selling a lot of the Crosstreks, but he said it's an Impreza frame lifted to 8", otherwise identical, a true "crossover" he said.

I test drove one. It had worse acceleration than my 1.8l Corolla.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is. Its an Impreza body on an outback frame.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the impression I've been getting from the reviews.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy with what salespeople tell you. Seriously.

This being said, aftermarket skid plates fit some years of Forester, Impreza, and Crosstrek with the same part. And apart from the BRZ, there is a LOT of parts overlap, so in this case it might not be too far off. I'd go so far as to say that all the Subaru AWD vehicles are pretty much the same platform.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol at people thinking they're buying "American" cars.

Do you really think people running these multi-national corporations give a flying fuck about national borders?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to be on the "Buy American" bandwagon especially about cars. That was before I figured out best bang for the buck. My wife now drives a Hyundai Santa Fe (second Hyundai) and I now drive a Nissan Frontier.
If the "American" car makers had the quality and price to compete I probably would still be tooting that horn.

I have two Snapper lawnmowers and an old Ruhmann edger with Harbor Freight engines on them. The oldest engine is about 8 years old now and I just put the engine on the edger today. No problems with them. The original U.S. made Briggs engine on the newest Snapper only lasted for four years before needing overhauled so I have pretty much sworn off of Briggs and Stratton.

Made in the U.S.A. does not mean what it used to either in origin or quality.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congratulations.  You are now officially a lesbian.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my crosstrek. Power is lacking when i need to accelarate quickly, otherwise it is fine for daily commuting. Cargo space is easily expanded - get a yakima loadwarrior
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Does your wife partner drive the truck?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always been a lesbian, why are you hatin
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have yet to own an "American" vehicle, too boring

I even bought a Kia
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How do you like the BRZ?
View Quote

I've had it less than 12 hours ask me again in few days after a few 45 mile trips to the city for work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry I can't stand Subarus
THe people who drive them putz around all summer then drive like tools in the winter

In 93 one lost control on packed snow and hit me head on, fucked up my neck which has ruined my quality of life for the last 22 years.

Another I was following one night got sucked into the ditch by a couple of inches of snow and rolled upside down. I had to rescue the lady, opening the door I ripped the top of the door off like a tin can before I could get her unbuckled and carry her to the road.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sorry I can't stand Subarus THe people who drive them putz around all summer then drive like tools in the winter

In 93 one lost control on packed snow and hit me head on, fucked up my neck which has ruined my quality of life for the last 22 years.

Another I was following one night got sucked into the ditch by a couple of inches of snow and rolled upside down. I had to rescue the lady, opening the door I ripped the top of the door off like a tin can before I could get her unbuckled and carry her to the road.

View Quote
Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum I had a 1988 Subaru XT6 and it was one of the most insanely fun cars I've ever had.

Different strokes.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Guilty?  Why?  The BRZ is an awesome little car, I'm sure you'll love it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I like the orange one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Body on frame?  That's fucking funny, right there.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep, went from many years of Wranglers, Durangos, Blazers and assorted pick-ups to a Mazda 3 a couple of years ago. I love this little car. 15 to 16 MPG is hard to justify nowadays.

The wife still has her full sized Hemi Ram though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#37]

OP, get ready for it....

BRZ is close enough to the WRX

The Subaru WRX is the most-ticketed car in the U.S. by percentage of owners pulled over, U.S., according to a study Insurance.com released today.

More than one out of every three WRX drivers — 33.6% — reports receiving a traffic citation recently.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#38]
good trade, you will like the BRZ way more
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

OP, get ready for it....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP, get ready for it....

The Subaru WRX is the most-ticketed car in the U.S. by percentage of owners pulled over, U.S., according to a study Insurance.com released today.

More than one out of every three WRX drivers — 33.6% — reports receiving a traffic citation recently.

Yeah it's hard not to let it go. As a tall white guy with very short hair, I was absolutely invisible in the Buick.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, the BRZ is 95% Japanese parts, assembled at the Subaru plant at Ota, Gunma Prefecture, Japan.

That's the new white they introduced for 2015? Crystal White Pearl? Looks sharp.

Oh, and welcome to the 86 club.

The first thing you're going to want to do is get rid of the awful OEM Primacy HP tires. They're fun if you want to do donuts, but otherwise... burn them off and get something else.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, the BRZ is 95% Japanese parts, assembled at the Subaru plant at Ota, Gunma Prefecture, Japan.

That's the new white they introduced for 2015? Crystal White Pearl? Looks sharp.

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/FR-S/midnight2_zpsa21d30ca.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/FR-S/midnight2_zpsa21d30ca.jpg</a>

The first thing you're going to want to do is get rid of the awful OEM Primacy HP tires. They're fun if you want to do donuts, but otherwise... burn them off and get something else.
View Quote

yes it is, and yours is very nice!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/FR-S/midnight2_zpsa21d30ca.jpg

View Quote
I bought my 2013 Thursday.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
12 / 07 / 1941
View Quote

You know the Toyota Camry is the most American car sold here. If I remember it is a bout 95% made in America
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I've never understood the "buy 'murican!" thing, especially since people only seem to apply it to vehicles. Who cares? I certainly wouldn't feel bad about "stiffing" the fucking UAW.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#45]
OP, did you know that the countries of origin are printed on the sticker?

I'm down with any Subaru because FUCK UAW. But I am especially enamored with the Subbies that read read "Japan: 100%" because those are a double-barreled "Fuck you" to the UAW.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP, did you know that the countries of origin are printed on the sticker?

I'm down with any Subaru because FUCK UAW. But I am especially enamored with the Subbies that read read "Japan: 100%" because those are a double-barreled "Fuck you" to the UAW.
View Quote

So you say a big FU to the UAW but buy a union made vehicle made in Japan that is manufactured in a country that basically bans all firearms and give wanna be owners a huge FU.

Gotcha.

If you said you just liked the car, you'd be more believable. I think 99% of the FU UAW [and I'm NOT associated with he UAW in any way shape or form] is because it makes posters feel edgy and wanted in their little 'we hate unions'' group.

Unions [non governmental ones] are so irrelevant today number wise that they are pretty much worthless save for one or two areas that are bottlenecks and technology will take care of those areas also.

Government employee unions OTOH, yeah, they need to be smacked down, especially the teacher unions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reviews are BS, largely from people who look at a Crosstrek, think it should somehow have a WRX drivetrain in it, and are disappointed it doesn't. I test drove both a Forester and an Crosstrek yesterday. Both had the CVT. I didn't drive an Outback but since it has the same engine and CVT as the Forester, it should be a close comparison.

I was honestly blown away by how the Forester drove. I went there expecting to like the Crosstrek but not like the Forester. I was wrong. The main thing the Crosstrek has going for it over the Forester was that it felt more car-like in it's ride and handling to me, vs the nearly SUV-like upright seating that the Forester has. Not a bad thing, just different. I'm leaning towards a Crosstrek anyway, but at least now I know, I won't feel like I got the wrong car if I get a Forester.

Power/acceleration wise, they were both a wash to me. Both standard econobox 0-60 in 10+- seconds. On the highway, passing power was pretty good. These little boxer motors make most of their torque and power up top, so you do need to rev them a bit, but they do their job. They both do handle pretty well though. But, mind you, I'm coming from a large pickup truck...so my perception of "handling" may be off

I was concerned the CVT would be shit in them, but it really isn't. Having said that, I'm aiming to get a manual...but if I'm forced into a CVT, I'd be ok with it.

The best I could describe them both would be "adequate" in the power department. You're not going to win any drag races but you won't feel in danger if you need to merge onto a major highway. Which I did with both, a couple of times yesterday.

If you want power, get a Forester XT, with a turbo motor. Or get a WRX. (It has a surprising amount of cargo room, to be honest..)
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Even a totally made in America car would still have foreign gasoline in it..........
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I haven't bought a new "US" car in 30 years. I feel no guilt.

I work too hard for my money to throw it away on trash.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've never understood the "buy 'murican!" thing, especially since people only seem to apply it to vehicles. Who cares? I certainly wouldn't feel bad about "stiffing" the fucking UAW.
View Quote
LOL no joke right?

"Buy American"  Till it's time to defend the merits of HK, FN, or Sig.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top