Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 3:11:33 PM EDT
can your cars tow anything? I ask this after reading an old Motor Trend Review for the 2000 Outback.

I am not interested in buying(not anytime soon) but I just wanted to know.

What say the ARFCOMMERS with Subies?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
bueller?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an 01 Forester.
Yes they can.
From the Subaru web site, Forester accessories page:
"  
2006 FORESTER 2.5 X  

Trailer Hitch $230  

Heavy-duty-rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight, 2,000 lbs. towing capacity for A/T, and 2,400 lbs. for M/T (ball not included: trailer brakes may be needed). "

The 3 ltr. H-6 engine varies.

2005 OUTBACK 3.0 R L.L.BEAN EDITION WAGON  

Trailer Hitch $300  

Heavy-duty rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight, 2,700 lbs. towing capacity (H-4 engine) and 3,000 lbs. towing capacity (H-6 engine). Trailer brakes may be needed. Ball not included.

Subaru
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have an 01 Forester.
Yes they can.
"  
2006 FORESTER 2.5 X  

Trailer Hitch $230  

Heavy-duty-rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight, 2,000 lbs. towing capacity for A/T, and 2,400 lbs. for M/T (ball not included: trailer brakes may be needed). "

DaddyDett

Thanks DD, but does the Outback/Legacy tow?  I assume the WRX/Impreza couldn't tow anything.

My g/f's dad used to have a Forester.  I liked it, and I still like it.  It's a nice wagon-ish car in an SUV package, except I don't like the 03 remake, they made them look like ass.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have an 01 Forester.
Yes they can.
"  
2006 FORESTER 2.5 X  

Trailer Hitch $230  

DaddyDett

Thanks DD, but does the Outback/Legacy tow?  I assume the WRX/Impreza couldn't tow anything.

My g/f's dad used to have a Forester.  I liked it, and I still like it.  It's a nice wagon-ish car in an SUV package, except I don't like the 03 remake, they made them look like ass.  

I honestly wouldn't put anything on the rear of my 97 Outback.  While the engine is strong at low speeds, I just don't feel it has the power to tow or pull anything over 1,000Lbs. without problems.

Why I have a F150; no need to put that extra pressure on my car if I dont' need to.

Only car I would have considered towing with would be my former Mercury Grand Marquis.  V8 engine had plenty of power (when it ran....).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I just bought a '97 Outback with the 2.5, and the owner's manual says it has a towing cap of 2000 lbs.  Noticed that the other day when I was looking up how much oil it took.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about the base Impreza but the WRX can tow something like 1500 pounds.  Don't quote me on the exact pound # but it can tow.  I'll grab my manual soon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
This may sound incredibly silly, but until a while ago, I thought Subie's were Australian built(because they used to run ads with Paul Hogan from the "Crocodile Dundee films").  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Nearly any car can tow "something".....

There are better tools for the job.

I think the WRX Impreza is rated for jet ski and trailer at least......whatever that is.....

I have seen several WRX wagons pulling this off with what appears to be minimal "ass drag"---maybe they got stiffer springs
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nearly any car can tow "something".....

There are better tools for the job.

I think the WRX Impreza is rated for jet ski and trailer at least......whatever that is.....

I have seen several WRX wagons pulling this off with what appears to be minimal "ass drag"---maybe they got stiffer springs

You don't know what a jet ski is?

My best definition is it is a very quick 1-4 person watercraft.  I think of it as a "baby" speedboat.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

images.google.com/images?q=tbn:b7Flv3lxQyIJ:www.watercraftworld.co.nz/images/kawaJT1100-F2_big2002.jpg

My best definition is it is a very quick 1-4 person watercraft.  I think of it as a "baby" speedboat.  

Uh, yeah...

What does the jet ski and trailer weigh?  That has been the heaviest thing I've seen a WRX Impreza tow.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.google.com/images?q=tbn:b7Flv3lxQyIJ:www.watercraftworld.co.nz/images/kawaJT1100-F2_big2002.jpg

Uh, yeah...

What does the jet ski and trailer weigh?  That has been the heaviest thing I've seen a WRX Impreza tow.

I couldn't tell you.  Maybe 1000 lb.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top