Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2008 11:36:52 AM EDT
Sturdy Gun Safe Manufacturing
Aside from their advertising tactics I also like what I see when it comes to the construction of the safe, the interior layouts and their fire liner looks 10x better than most competitors who use drywall. I got a decent quote on an unlined 27" x 23.5" x 60" safe constructed of 7 gauge (~3/16") steel with a 5/16"door for $1350 delivered local terminal. Not a bad price for something that thick. I believe they bend/roll their plate to shape for the majority of the unit instead of weld panels or god forbid stitch weld then body fill them. The fire lining option is not cheap but it adds over 100lbs so that plus the details on the link shows its superior to wallboard. (One in picture is one I was quoted) But with the option its close to $2000.

I had my heart set on a Zanotti due to ease of install and in case I ever have to move it again but their fire liner is a joke and there are seams for a thief to break into easier. Not near as thick but this Sturdy Safe would have the typical move in issues as most safes. If anyone has dealt with Sturdy or owns one please let me know. Sounds like one of those too good to be true stories but saving money on advertising (I found them on Craigslist) opens the budget for better materials etc. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump, anyone? Holy crap, I had to manually search 100 pages to find this. I know, I know, pay up to be a member.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that they are very good.  Much thicker steel than any other RSC in the market, and better fire protection.  They are expensive, and safes aren't getting any cheaper due to metals and fuel prices.  Was that quote with delivery?  I priced their 25 cubic foot one with the thinner steel, and it was $1800 without tax, and that was with getting it delivered to a business with a dock and forklift.  At home is about 2-300 more.  For me, I went with a cheaper safe (Champion) because they're built here and I didn't want to spend that much initially.  For me, if I'm going to spend 3-4K on a safe, I'll bump up my budget and get a commercial grade one.  Either way, get a safe asap, because break-ins are increasing across America, and the safe's aren't getting any cheaper.  I paid an extra $150 for mine from my initial quote in November due to steel and fuel costs.

Once I have a house and more $, I'm getting a Brown.

ETA:  There are several members here that have them, and at least one who got a vault door from them.  I have never heard anything but good about them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
"Sturdy Safe" makes an excellent safe.  I almost purchased one myself, but the fire protection cost, in addition to the freight, was a little too high for me.  I went with a "Summit Safe".  Check out this thread from about a month ago.  It may have some information that you might find useful.  Good luck with your purchase!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=383039
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one.  I think it is the 3234.  It can hold as many as 30 long arms, but with the side shelves installed it only holds 18 (without fireproofing).  S&G Type I lock and it comes with a tool that allows the owner to change the combo as needed.  I have had it for about 10 years and have never had a problem.  Way back then, it cost me $800.00.  It can be bolted to the floor/foundation if needed.  The California Department of Justice in Sacramento used them for storage as they are considered top quality and reliable.  I don't know what the delivery fee would be as I went there and picked it up myself.  Be sure to buy a cargo dolly (appliance hand truck) for moving as it is heavier than a dead priest.

Steve
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys. Those links led me to www.sportsmansteelsafes.com which has a Houston manufacturing plant/showroom. I saw them before but their website looked a little cheesy. However they are well regarded on that Gun Safe Blog Survey. Trying to definitely stay under $2000. I will drive over there when I get some free time and break out the credit card. If I can get a delivered price that fits my budget I'll take the plunge. With them being local I can most likely get a price for them to set it in its final resting place. I want to put whatever safe I buy in a closet so the dimensions will suffer but hidden is best. If need be I could always break down the door frame etc. Hopefully they can upgrade me to an S&G lock. Bolting to slab floor is a must. Need to get something asap, I swear, the safest my guns feel is when they are in the trunk on the way to the range! Not good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Those links led me to www.sportsmansteelsafes.com which has a Houston manufacturing plant/showroom. I saw them before but their website looked a little cheesy. However they are well regarded on that Gun Safe Blog Survey.

What Gun Safe Blog Survey is that?  From everything I've ever read, the consensus is to stay far away from Sportsman Steel Safes, both due to poor quality and poor customer service.  Ask the guys at CalGuns.net that are local to the original location:

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51174

I wish I had copied the pictures from the guy who used to advertise his Sportsman Steel safe on e-Bay.  That thing was a pile of garbage.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Sportsman's aka Pentagon has a long and well-deserved reputation for crap construction and customer service along the lines of Speshul Weppins.  Don't go there

Sturdy Safe is the opposite.  They build a high quality product without a fancy paint job and a bunch of decals.  Good people to work with too.  I own two.

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sportsman's aka Pentagon has a long and well-deserved reputation for crap construction and customer service along the lines of Speshul Weppins.  Don't go there

Sturdy Safe is the opposite.  They build a high quality product without a fancy paint job and a bunch of decals.  Good people to work with too.  I own two.

-hanko

Ah superb, the usual too good to be true routine. Well I will take a look in person since its not too far, but if Sturdy can get within $200 on delivered pricing I'd be a fool not to go with one of their safes. I definitely could give a rats ass about paint and decals. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I looked at getting a safe from them, but ended up buying a lesser safe locally, because the lesser safe still did what I needed it to do. Quality-wise, though, I don't think you'll find a better safe.

Quoted:
Bump, anyone? Holy crap, I had to manually search 100 pages to find this.

No, all you have to do is look in your previous day's browsing history, find the link, and click it......

(but pay up anyway....!)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top