Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2002 9:37:05 AM EDT
A little Sunday rant...

Last Thursday and Friday this guy I work with comes in, sicker than a dog, feverish, coughing and sneezing and spraying the room with his virus. By noonish on Saturday I had all the same symptoms. Why do people do this? His actions have probably ruined several people's weekends and will cost the company a ton of money in sick time next week.

Why don't people exercise a little common courtesy and stay home when they are sick? I would make much more sense to stay in bed, get better, then put in extra hours as needed to make up lost time. Some people seem to want to be friggen heros, regardless of how much it screws everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
[puke]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A little Sunday rant...

Last Thursday and Friday this guy I work with comes in, sicker than a dog, feverish, coughing and sneezing and spraying the room with his virus. By noonish on Saturday I had all the same symptoms. Why do people do this? His actions have probably ruined several people's weekends and will cost the company a ton of money in sick time next week.

Why don't people exercise a little common courtesy and stay home when they are sick? I would make much more sense to stay in bed, get better, then put in extra hours as needed to make up lost time. Some people seem to want to be friggen heros, regardless of how much it screws everyone else.
View Quote

Cut and paste your post here, word-for-word, and tape it to his chair.

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
not only does this happen at work, but at school too.

I bet we could cut down on the number of cases by half if people stayed home when they should. (my swag)
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem is twofold.  The first thing is people are taught to have "perfect attendance" when they are in school.  It doesn't matter if they get friggin D averages, if they have perfect attendance, they get some kind of stupid award.  This kind of thing promotes showing up at the expense of getting everyone else sick.

The second reason for this is because people now a days normally get PTO time instead of separate sick and vacation time.  If companies would just give people sick time with a use it or loose it per year clause, a lot more people would stay home and not get everyone else sick.  Especially now when people are crammed into cube farms with everyone else sitting on top of each other.  Its like a damn daycare center!

[/rant]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Next time your sick or have a cold. Make sure you run over to his desk and sneeze on him or his phone and computer mouse. Maybe he will get the hint.
View Quote

ROFLMFAO!!! [}:D] I love this place!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The problem is twofold.  The first thing is people are taught to have "perfect attendance" when they are in school.  It doesn't matter if they get friggin D averages, if they have perfect attendance, they get some kind of stupid award.  This kind of thing promotes showing up at the expense of getting everyone else sick.

The second reason for this is because people now a days normally get PTO time instead of separate sick and vacation time.  If companies would just give people sick time with a use it or loose it per year clause, a lot more people would stay home and not get everyone else sick.  Especially now when people are crammed into cube farms with everyone else sitting on top of each other.  Its like a damn daycare center!

[/rant]
View Quote

This is exactly right. I've gone to work sicker than shit before because I didn't want to lose vacation time. Also, because I'm paid hourly instead of salaried, I have to give at least 24hrs notice or I will lose my hourly attendance incentive because my missed work will be unexcused.

I might feel like shit and not get much done because I'm too sick to work, but by God I'm there and getting paid for it.

It's the corporate policy that causes a lot of this, not the sick people. Really, who [b]wants[/b] to go work when they are sick?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[/rant]
View Quote

EXACTLY !!! businesses don't care if your sick at work, just that your there.  Where I work, if you DARE to call in sick, you get read the riot act and are told you better get a doctors note. They shoot themselves in the foot because within a few days, instead of one or two being out, they have ten or more ! You know, typical dickhead manager stuff. On a different note, two years ago, my mother died. I called in to tell the asshole and his only comment was , well, when are you coming back ! It's OK, I am gonna leave them high and dry soon enough [:D]
MUHHUUWWAAAA !!!! evil plot cooking in my head !
*leaving soap box now*
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I was mistaken in comparing most modern daycare centers with todays work environment.  It's worse.  If your kids are sick, you are expected to stay home with them and they are NOT SUPPOSE TO BE IN DAYCARE SO THE OTHER KIDS DON'T GET SICK.  Compare this to most work policies!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to work for a telemarketer (I know, spawn of Satan), and our office chief manager asked one day why almost everybody was out sick (I'm not kidding, only 3 people showed up for their shifts including me).  I told him that because of his own stupidity he had made people so afraid they would be fired for calling in that they would come when sick and get everybody else infected.  He had made it office policy that anybody who took sick time would get no AWT bonus or commissions for that [i]month[/i].  He also established in office policies that made it very difficult for people to get their full 15-minute breaks and lunch times because he wanted to have maximum people working on the lines.  I told him that if he spent more time worrying about actual productivity instead of attendance quotas (he got some kind of recognition or bonus if his workers only missed a certain number of work hours or some such bullshit) we would get a lot more work done.  I went on to dig my way to a pink slip by telling him that he had the managerial skills of a peanut and that his own idiotic policies were to blame for our office being one of the most unproductive in the business.

I've found in my job experiences that most managers couldn't manage to find their genitals with 3 hands and a flashlight.  Sucky management policies are what are causing the downfall of American companies, oh and can't forget the unions.

I was fired.  Oh well, the job sucked anyway.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't agree more.  A sick person has no business around others.  I make my people stay home when they are. I do (computer) user support for 150+ people.  I hate going in someone office and touching things when I know they are sick.  I make it a point to wash my hands every time I touch someone's keyboard or mouse.  Sick or not!  Call it anal if you will.

I also hate doorknobs and handles.  They are a breeding ground for viruses. I like the lever ones because you can open the door with your elbow.  REALLY, this sounds nuts but just think what else they touch....EEEEWWWWW!

How many of you grab that bathroom handle with your bare hands?  Ever thought about what else touched thier hands before they opened that door?  Most decent restrooms have a trash can right by the door.  This is so you can open the door with a paper towel and throw it away before you walk out. Think about it.  Don't spread (or take) those germs.

AND BTW, I don't get very many colds. Could be a reason.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I get 15 sick days a year with pay. Call in.."book me off sick" = day off. Our boss in an effort to cut down on overtime (when a CX books off he has to be replaced) sent a letter out saying all sick leave must be certified. So..if a person has to go to the doctor and waste all that time or sit in outpatients for hours waiting to get a form signed..common sense would dictate..they are going to take more then 1 day off. But management hasn't figured that out yet.
View Quote

Different outfit, similar policies.
The Drivers must have a Dr. excuse, called a Sick Leave Verification Form when they have exceeded the 6-days per year limit.
Once you've exceeded the limit, unless you can go an entire year without a sick day, you are forever going to have to provide the Dr. excuse.
The form changes about twice a year, for unknown reasons, so, if you don't have the current form, you'll be going back to the Dr. to get the new one amended to reflect your old one...
If you've got kids, or, God forbid, a WIFE, who might also get sick, you'll be on the list forever.
Then, you've got the 'hero' who comes to work to share his bug with you, not to mention the 'riding public' who will invariably cough and sneeze AT YOU, the Driver!  Lovely.
Great setup.

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I couldn't agree more.  A sick person has no business around others.  I make my people stay home when they are. I do (computer) user support for 150+ people.  I hate going in someone office and touching things when I know they are sick.  I make it a point to wash my hands every time I touch someone's keyboard or mouse.  Sick or not!  Call it anal if you will.

I also hate doorknobs and handles.  They are a breeding ground for viruses. I like the lever ones because you can open the door with your elbow.  REALLY, this sounds nuts but just think what else they touch....EEEEWWWWW!

How many of you grab that bathroom handle with your bare hands?  Ever thought about what else touched thier hands before they opened that door?  Most decent restrooms have a trash can right by the door.  This is so you can open the door with a paper towel and throw it away before you walk out. Think about it.  Don't spread (or take) those germs.

AND BTW, I don't get very many colds. Could be a reason.
View Quote

deerslayer the other one you might not have noticed is what do you and everyone else use? the faucet to wash your hands.... its turned on with dirty hands and off with clean... yet it wasnt cleaned between those times. and probably not the last ten times when the guy who missed with the tp used it... i use a paper towel on that thing 2.. no tellin whats on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Guess which occupation has the absolute lowest stats for getting sick.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]
About a third of the guys at work don't wash their hands after leaving the can.  It pisses me off, that they are putting their filth on everything they touch.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]
At least it's only the flu.

A few years ago, one of my coworkers was diagnosed with hepatitis, and he insisted on coming in to work despite it.  The only way he found out it was hep was that his eyes turned bright yellow, and I insisted when that happened that he go in to see a doctor immediately -- he hadn't even seen one yet!

Even after that, he kept coming in to work.

Hep can be spread by sharing toilet facilities, so he was putting every man in the building at risk of contracting it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, no one guessed, but the field with the lowest stats on getting sick is in the sanitation department.  The people who run your sewers and sewage plants are the healthiest people in the world.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#19]
In my last job I was about as subtle as a poke in the eye with anyone who came in coughing and sneezing. I would yell out "Go home!" instead of "Bless you" when they would sneeze. I made sure to let them know who was saying it and why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top