Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/19/2008 6:41:11 AM EST
Can I buy pre painted replacement body parts for a vehicle? I've got an 06 ram that's been indoors most of the time. I need to have one of my doors painted, but was wondering if you can buy pre painted items? I told you this was a stupid question...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:43:22 AM EST
Even if the paint is the same color code, it would be hard to get it to match perfectly. Usually if a body mechanic replaces a panel, they "blend" the paint into the one next to it to get the colors to fade together, even though they are supposed to be the same.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:48:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
Even if the paint is the same color code, it would be hard to get it to match perfectly. Usually if a body mechanic replaces a panel, they "blend" the paint into the one next to it to get the colors to fade together, even though they are supposed to be the same.

+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:44:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By gmtmaster:

Originally Posted By DernHumpus:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:30:25 PM EST
If you're trying to save some money, your only hope would be to find a used door from a salvage dealer in the same color. Even then the other posters are correct. Way too many variations in color to get an exact match.

Try this site for used: www.car-part.com/

J
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:43:54 PM EST
What everybody else is saying is pretty much correct. Although "Blending" is often used. Its not necessary for every color. Example - That gold color that Honda loves so much, yea you have to blend that. A basic white, red, or black - no. So if you have a simple color truck right now, odds are you could just buy a fender, door, whatever, have it sprayed/DIY, install it and be done.

Ive never seen parts come pre-painted, unless its from a LKQ yard and even then you have to do repairs on those parts (thats why they are in a yard)

Ask me how I know
Top Top