Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 6:14:21 PM EDT
Would it be possible to paint a customized S&W 686 with a 4-inch barrel with Brownell's Alumahyde? I am planning using the matt black finish. Are there any drawbacks to using this paint? I don't have enough money to send the gun off to one of the guys that specilize in re-coating firearms. The pistol is mainly a "house gun" hidden away in case I can't get to one of my regular guns.

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownell's now has gun kote avialable in aerosol spray cans in matte black. While Aluma hyde is good stuff properly done Gun kote is better and longer wearing than the Aluma hyde is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they had two versions of Alumihyde, plus bake-on lacguers or enamels, plus a teflon coat.  Call the Brownells number & ask for technical help, explain your plans and get their advice.

Be sure & ask about surface preparation.

I'll say it anyway:  Make sure it's unloaded.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice guys. I may have to break out the plastic and send off for the Guncote from Brownells.

Thanks again,
Karl
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve never done it, but I can forsee a few problems that MIGHT arise.

A S&W revolver is pretty finely fitted.  I’d think you would need to mask off areas where dimensions are really tight.

Examples of these would be the edge surfaces where the sideplate fits into the frame (not normally visible), the ratchet and mating areas in the cylinder and frame, and maybe even the locking notches in the cylinder.

I also suspect the bolt will wear a groove in the cylinder pretty quickly.  This kind of wear happens on blued revolvers anyway, but I’m wondering if a painted-on finish might chip instead of wearing evenly.

Personally, I’d be tempted to not refinish the cylinder at all (though the appearance might be too garish for your taste).

Just my thoughts FWIW.  If you decide to do this, please post photos of the revolver after it has been used a bit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If I decide to do this, I will post before and after pictures. The revolver has had the hammer "dehorned" so it is double action only. I was thinking of masking off the area where the cylinder locks up as well as the front of the cylinder where the tolerances are tight.
Thanks for the ideas,
Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top