Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:43:00 AM EDT
Been working a lot on my dad's 1994 Ford Explorer recently and it just seems like everything is breaking at the same time. The latest problem has me stumped. The cruise control is dead. The Haynes manual does not give instructions on how to repair or diagnose the problem. Does anybody know where I can go to find instructions on diagnostic and repair or can anybody tell me how to fix it? Thanks in advance. MJD
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:10:20 PM EDT
There is an outside chance that your local library may have a better service manual, check there first.

For TS stuff without info... you checked fuses I assume? The speedo still works right? If not, your VSS is toast for some reason. Is this a mechanical or vaccum operated cruise servo? Check wiring or hoses accordingly. If that checks out you must have an electrical problem in the switch or control unit, beg/borrow/pay for some time with the local dealers service manuals to photocopy the wiring diagrams.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:18:53 PM EDT
When the Cruise control went out on my 95 ranger I took it to the dealership to have them check it out. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but they said they were going to have to replace the whole unit, as they don't make replacement parts anymore for the style I had. It was going to cost $300 to get it fixed. Luckily for me, my wife wrecked that truck, so I got a newer better one with working cruise
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:18:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 12:21:38 AM EDT by chrome1]
On a 94 the most likely cause is the
VSS amplifier module above the glove box .
As long as the SIR (Air Bag ) light isn't on too
because that would be a broken clock spring
causing an open in the control circuit from the
buttons on the wheel .

Ford calls it a PSOM ( Programmable Speed/Odometer Module )
All it is , is an analog to digital signal converter . So
testing it is simple with a decent DVOM . One Analog AC signal in ,
two digital square waves out to PCM and speedometer .

If it was a faulty VSS you would have lost the speedo also .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:25:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fastang50:
There is an outside chance that your local library may have a better service manual, check there first.

For TS stuff without info... you checked fuses I assume? The speedo still works right? If not, your VSS is toast for some reason. Is this a mechanical or vaccum operated cruise servo? Check wiring or hoses accordingly. If that checks out you must have an electrical problem in the switch or control unit, beg/borrow/pay for some time with the local dealers service manuals to photocopy the wiring diagrams.

Yes, all fuses and relays are good. Speedometer still works. It is a vacuum operated servo. All vacuum hoses are connected. This vehicle has no airbags. Do I have to dismantle the dash to get to the VSS amplifier? Thanks for the help. MJD
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:36:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 9:37:11 AM EDT by chrome1]

Originally Posted By highwayman:

Do I have to dismantle the dash to get to the VSS amplifier? Thanks for the help. MJD

No , it can be reched by opening the glove box and reaching up .
If you're not good working by feel alone . It's easy enough to remove
the glove box .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:41:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:
Been working a lot on my dad's 1994 Ford Explorer recently and it just seems like everything is breaking at the same time. The latest problem has me stumped. The cruise control is dead. The Haynes manual does not give instructions on how to repair or diagnose the problem. Does anybody know where I can go to find instructions on diagnostic and repair or can anybody tell me how to fix it? Thanks in advance. MJD

I have a 99 ranger and I used to work at an auto parts, I always bounce between a chilton and a haynes to fiure things out. Could be in your harness in the steering column or a fuse or a relay. maybe the conection between the foot speed and the unit. has anyone worked on it prior to it going out? or hit anything parked car, deer or a sasquash? LOL

Make friends with a mechanic that works for ford! Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:17:47 AM EDT
If you know someone at a dealer they might still have on of the speed control test boxes. this would plug in the systemat the amplifier(control box for speed control) and test everything else in the system.
Check all the vacuum lines and the line to the deact. switch on the brake pedal. Make sure the deact switch on the brake is adjusted so that it does not bleed off vacuum when the pedal is not depressed.
If the clockspring is bad usually the horn and air bag are inop to. May not all three go out at the same time.
Do all the brake lights work? If both brake lights are burned out the control won't engage the speed control because it will not get a signal from the brake switch to confirm it's operation.
Also you should be able to find the specs for testing the switches at the electrical connector on the amplfier.

On second thought, you do have a friend at a Ford dealer- me. If you give me an e-mail address I will try to send the diagnostics for this to you.

As an aside, If I recall correctly these vehicles still used a modulator valve on the trans. These are very prone to leak and cause swelling in the vac. lines at the engine. They will eventualy fall off the vac. tree at the upper rear of the intake. If it has a modulator valve there will be a metal line going over the rear of the intake manifold towards the paas. side of the trans.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:35:29 AM EDT
Alright, problem solved. It pisses me off too. When I inspected the vacuum lines I did not notice the "plug". Apparently the plug had fallen out and my dad decided to jerry rig another one. When I asked what the hell this thing was he told me what happened. Bottom line, we went to Autozone and got a real vaccum line plug. Problem solved. Sorry about this whole mess, it was my fault for not catching it on initial inspection, but at least it was nothing serious. MJD
Top Top