Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:56:44 PM EDT
Okay, so I have cold and I have to sit through these hour long lectures. Meanwhile my nose is running like 6-million dallar man and my classmates are staring at me in horror as they slowly edge away. However, once the lecture is over, I stand up, sniff a few times, and my nose magically clears. I am left wondering "What the hell?" Why does my nose clear when I am standing, but won't while I am sitting? My head is essentially in the same position- how is the fact that I am sitting down effecting my sinuses???
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
air is thinner at higher altitude.

how tall are you?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Haha, that was my first thought, but Iam only 5'1.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you huff OC before going to class?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
just found this online:

The common "cold" is caused by any number of different viruses, some of which are transmitted through the air, but most are transmitted from hand-to-nose contact. Once the virus gets established in the nose, it causes release of the body chemical histamine, which dramatically increases the blood flow to the nose -- causing swelling and congestion of nasal tissues

It looks like your stuffy nose is caused by increased blood flow to the nose. When you stand up, you increase blood flow to other parts of your body (after being seated for the entire class) and there's less blood to just 'sit'in your nose and cause swelling.

That would be my theory.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude you need some hot sauce. I mean SERIOUS hot sauce. That'll cure that right up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top