Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/26/2006 11:02:55 AM EDT
OK, I'm a little freaked out about the Civil Service Exam.

I know the tests vary from department to department, but I've heard alot of crazy possibilities that could be on the test. I'm sure I could pass the test, but I wanna score at the top of the applying group. I've pretty much set my goal to be at least in the top 5 applicants, as I doubt they're hiring much more than 3-5 people.

I consider myself fairly well with common sense, which seems to be mainly what the test is on. However, I'm a little nervous about some of the fast memorization stuff. My buddy that applied at another agency said it was pretty crazy what they wanted you to remember. They let you look at a packet for 5 min. before the test, and you had to memorize a map, shifts, schematics, and some other stuff. The test then referred back to all of that with questions such as routes to a call, what shifts overlapped with what, and so on. It seems to me that'd be pretty hard to look at a map for the first time, and then dictate routes based on memory.

I'm sure they'll also have the scenarios where you study a pictures of a crowded street, and then try to remember who was standing where, and wearing whatever. I do OK on those types of test, I guess.

So, without rambling on and on, does anyone have any suggestions on how to practice this kind of memorization? I have a book from the book store that has a bunch of practice exams from NYPD civil service testing. However, I'd like to know anymore hints you guys might have.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
Make sure to ask if they allow notes. Take them if they do, noting license plates, one-way or obstructed streets, etc.
Top Top