Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 1:25:51 PM EDT
[url]http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-PLS-PLS&id=11271537000208423&dt=20021127153700&w=RTR&coview=[/url]

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Blacks remain the most highly segregated minority group in neighborhoods across the United States, despite changes over the last 20 years, the U.S. Census Bureau said Wednesday.

Billed as one of the agency's most exhaustive studies ever of residential segregation, the report on trends between 1980 and 2000 showed Hispanics were the next most segregated group, followed by Asians, American Indians and Alaska natives.

But while blacks, traditionally the United States' largest minority group and who made up 12.9 percent of the total population in 2000, became less segregated over the period, the other groups became more so or showed a mixed trend.

Hispanics, who number 12.5 percent of population -- roughly the same as blacks for the first time -- generally became more segregated in areas of high Hispanic immigration.

The report also found some measures of segregation increased and others decreased for American Indians and that the greater the percentage of Asians in an area's population, the more they tended to be isolated and to live together.

SEGREGATION'S EFFECTS LINGER

While the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s brought an end to the forced segregation of the infamous Jim Crow laws, the debate continues about its lingering effect in areas of American life from education to housing.

Increases, decreases and stability in the concentration of minority populations also has additional ramifications for the ability of those populations to affect both local and national politics.

"The big fight right now in terms of politcs is going on in the suburban ring where the white population first moved and where now the black population is beginning to concentrate," said Ronald Walters, a professor of political science at the University of Maryland.

"It's not totally open yet but a lot (of residential decisions) are more open to choice than in the past," Walters added. "There's a subtle difference because in a lot of places you have ... a lot of illegal stuff going on with respect to where people can and cannot live and practices by people who sell and rent housing that is discriminatory."

The Census Bureau study found that blacks became less segregated in most of the 220 metropolitan areas under examination, even though changes were slight in many areas.

The most integration occurred in the West and South, particularly in California, Florida and Texas, with the Northeast and Midwest registering little to no movement.

In towns with at least 1 million people and 3 percent or 20,000 blacks, the most segregated in both 1990 and 2000 were Milwaukee-Waukesha, Wisconsin; Detroit, Michigan; Cleveland, Ohio; St Louis, Missouri; and Newark, New Jersey. The same five areas were also among the top six most segregated in 1980.

The least segregated areas for blacks were Orange County and San Jose, California; Phoenix-Mesa, Arizona; Riverside-San Bernadino, California and Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport, Virginia.

By most measures, Hispanics became less segregated in southern metropolitan areas between 1980 and 2000 and more segregated in western metropolitan areas for the same period.

New York remained the most segregated city for Hispanics as it has been for the past two decades, the report noted, while Providence, Rhode Island became much more segregated and Miami, Florida much less segregated for the community.
View Quote

I have three words that would fix the mexican's segregation issue.

LEARN FUCKING ENGLISH!!!!

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm.

So, one group, became less segregated over the period, other groups became more so or showed a mixed trend.

Sounds like a weather report: tomorrow, it will be raining, or possibly not. Maybe a blizzard, or the hottest day in history, we don't know.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sleep2.gif[/img]

Delta is ready when you are.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sleep2.gif[/url]

View Quote

What's this supposed to mean?

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
As a former resident, I knew Milwaukee had a problem but I did'nt know it was at the top of the census.

I do know that I feel a much higher need to carry a weapon in Milwaukee vs anywhere in TX. I was both shot at (a street punk with a snub nose near Marquette University who luckily did'nt know how to use it) and in a attempted mugging (for my leather coat) while my car was broke down by the 43/North Ave exit in Milwaukee. (a six-D mag-lite and a swift blow saved me from that situation) Maybe the ethnic crime rate is proportional to integration.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sleep2.gif[/url]

View Quote

What's this supposed to mean?

View Quote

Permit me to clarify...

If anyone doesn't like "it" here, any and all are more than welcome to depart by the most expedient mode available.

I had the misfortune of experiencing desegregation firsthand in the public school system in the Deep South.  My chance at a decent education vanished overnight.  My 5th grade year, I only went to school 28 days the entire time.  The rest of the time was spent watching the State Police and National Guard try to maintain control.  

Now, I get to experience Racial Diversity Training that in which attendance is mandatory.  Never mind I am the minority in the employee population.

This subject is a Hot Button issue with me and will get a response first time, every time.

[img]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
So let me get this straight cause I'm still confused, please don't take this as an attack.

Your not white,  you've let it be the front issue and control your life and now things aren't the way they're "supposed" to be and your telling me to get the F out and go over to DU cause I posted this?

Am I correct?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only person that doesn't give a shit? Do people really not sleep at night worrying about worthless stuff like this? Who cares if Asians want to live around other Asians, or illegal aliens around other illegal aliens? Does it really fucking matter? I've got the same approach to diversity training at work. I'll go in and play the little diversity game then go back to business as usual once it's over.

The way I see it, I don't give a shit who you are, what color you are, where you're from, who you live next to, what you like or what you do. Just leave me the fuck alone and we'll get along just fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am I the only person that doesn't give a shit? Do people really not sleep at night worrying about worthless stuff like this? Who cares if Asians want to live around other Asians, or illegal aliens around other illegal aliens? Does it really fucking matter? I've got the same approach to diversity training at work. I'll go in and play the little diversity game then go back to business as usual once it's over.

The way I see it, I don't give a shit who you are, what color you are, where you're from, who you live next to, what you like or what you do. Just leave me the fuck alone and we'll get along just fine.
View Quote

WEELLL!!!
That about sums it up!!!![B)]

Seriously, classes, ethnic groups, etc will ALWAYS be here or anywhere you live in this friggen world.

There's no form of society, religion, or peice of legislation that can change that!!

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Am I the only person that doesn't give a shit?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
These people choose to be segregated because they typically mass migrate to certain areas.  Consider yourself lucky.  Blacks, hispanics, and various Oriental ethnicities (particularly the Hmongs) have been the touch of death to communities everywhere they've gone in any numbers.  Crime rates skyrocket, property values plummet, and costs-of-living generally go up because minorities typically support legislation that increases taxes to provide funds for social welfare programs, which, not coincidentally, only really benefit minorities.  Kind of like locusts, they come, reap the benefits of the area, destroy it, and move on; that's mean, but it's the brutal truth.

Having a black or hispanic neighbor or two doesn't bother me at all, but when they start subplanting whites in any numbers, I know it's time to get out of Dodge.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WEELLL!!!
That about sums it up!!!![B)]

Seriously, classes, ethnic groups, etc will ALWAYS be here or anywhere you live in this friggen world.

There's no form of society, religion, or peice of legislation that can change that!!
View Quote

Exactly. You can put two people together but you can't make them like each other. One of my best friends at work is black and I don't care. It wouldn't matter to me what color he is.

There are also a few people that I work with that are extremely racist. They put up with blacks because they are obligated if they want to keep their jobs, but their true colors show when none are around. I don't give a shit about that either because I ain't got a dog in that fight.

Then there are blacks that I work with that are just as racist as the other guys. I don't give a shit about that because they put up with me for the same reasons and I don't catch any shit. I could care less if they talk about me amongst themselves when I'm not around.

They all go through the same diversity bullshit as everybody else and after the classes it's back to the grind. And the world turns......
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As a former resident, I knew Milwaukee had a problem but I did'nt know it was at the top of the census.

I do know that I feel a much higher need to carry a weapon in Milwaukee vs anywhere in TX. I was both shot at (a street punk with a snub nose near Marquette University who luckily did'nt know how to use it) and in a attempted mugging (for my leather coat) while my car was broke down by the 43/North Ave exit in Milwaukee. (a six-D mag-lite and a swift blow saved me from that situation) Maybe the ethnic crime rate is proportional to integration.
View Quote

From Milwaukee:

Our politicians have had great fun playing the minority community against the (largely white) suburbs (and vice versa) in an attempt to get their political objectives...

The chief of the MPD is an affirmative action poster-boy, and is presently suing the city for racial discrimination. His complaint: They don't think he's doing enough to reduce crime, and the head of the police commission called him 'Ace'... Also, they have the law-abiding segment of the minority community convinced that guns are the root of the city's crime problem, so they equate CCW with kids being shot in their front yards. Oh, and since our mayor hates freeways, we can count on any road expansion splitting along racial lines... Throw in a standard educational methodology that highlights the [b]differences[/b] between ethnic groups, rather than teaching everyone to just be good American citizens (and never mind the past), and I can see that fitting milwaukee...

Now I'm one of the 'Why, oh why can't this nation just treat skin color like hair color' guys, so this really annoys me... Get on with it, and don't manipulate people's ancestry to gain political advantage.

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My 2 percent of a buck:

My personal observation is that the average black man is more likely to be overtly racist than the average white man...at least that's what I have observed around my home town, anyway.

I think there's something rotten in black society that has to be rooted out before they can truly integrate and join in the Great American Adventure as full partners.   That something is...well, I won't even say what I privately think the root of all their problems is because it wouldn't do any good to say it,  but part of the problem is that they seem to have what I can only describe as a cultural (or even genetic) bias against receiving a good education and taking that education seriously.   The few that do well in school are the only ones that leave the black neighborhoods.

You KNOW there's something totally wrong with their society when they make up 13 percent of the population yet about 80 percent of the jail population is black.

I am mystified as to why they put up with it.  I mean, why does it keep happening when it's so obvious that something's wrong and needs fixing?

I'd better stop now.  This could degenerate into a serious rant very easily.

[img]http://www.rusglobus.net/forums/graphics/emoticons/vodka.gif[/img]

CJ

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently learned a new term to add to my multicultural vocabulary.

Gentrification - when the whites move back into a neighborhood, fix the place up, and consequently drive up real estate prices depriving poor people of subsidised housing.

Lol

Liberals want to force everyone to integrate into a huge multicultural community. Except they're the first to bail when things turn bad.

Standard Racial Disclaimer Follows:
I know good white, black, red, yellow, blue, green people and I know POS who are white, black, red, yellow. Color is not a predetermining factor in whether a POS is a POS. Attitude is a true test.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't see anything inherently wrong with White flight. If people don't like the way things are in an area, and can afford to upgrade as it were, what the hell, go do it. The fact of the matter is many large cities are not conducive to clean and safe living, and are particularly unsuited to raising families. There is typically infighting in the city council and fights over power and influence commonly falling along racial lines, as each racial group tries to stake a claim to a space at the public trough. Why should I want to live that way?

If it turns out that only Whites and Asians can afford to move out and and into clean, safe suburbs, then that's too bad. They probably wouldn't have left the cities in the first place it if wasn't for the poor environment created by certain racial groups and their power hungry "leaders."
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think there's something rotten in black society that has to be rooted out before they can truly integrate and join in the Great American Adventure as full partners.

You KNOW there's something totally wrong with their society when they make up 13 percent of the population yet about 80 percent of the jail population is black.
View Quote

[thinking]

Maybe there's something totally wrong with OUR society; that we single out blacks and prosecute them more harshly than the white folks. Maybe that's why Blacks compose a much higher percentage of inmates.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there's something rotten in black society that has to be rooted out before they can truly integrate and join in the Great American Adventure as full partners.

View Quote

[thinking]

Maybe there's something totally wrong with OUR society; that we single out blacks and prosecute them more harshly than the white folks. Maybe that's why Blacks compose a much higher percentage of inmates.

View Quote

Possible, but not bloody likely.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea Right.And the crack problem is a conspiracy by the CIA to drag the black man down.I know this is a Lonnnnnnggggggg shot but maybe the reason so many blacks are in jail is because they are more likely to commit a crime.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Blacks, hispanics, and various Oriental ethnicities (particularly the Hmongs) have been the touch of death to communities everywhere they've gone in any numbers.  Crime rates skyrocket, property values plummet, and costs-of-living generally go up because minorities typically support legislation that increases taxes to provide funds for social welfare programs, which, not coincidentally, only really benefit minorities.  Kind of like locusts, they come, reap the benefits of the area, destroy it, and move on; that's mean, but it's the brutal truth.

Having a black or hispanic neighbor or two doesn't bother me at all, but when they start subplanting whites in any numbers, I know it's time to get out of Dodge.
View Quote

How Dare you speak the truth!!!Beware,If Hillary is ever elected Supreme Leader it's off to the re-education camps for you sir!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 3:47:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:10:22 AM EDT
[#21]

[i]"Birds of a feather flock together."[/i] - Shakespeare
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#22]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Blacks remain the most highly segregated minority group in neighborhoods across the United States...blah blah, freaking blah blah......
View Quote

[img]http://www.sawnoff.demon.co.uk/pyledrill.jpg[/img]
[b][s]REUTERS[/s]  PYLE! Oh please don't stop bringing this topic up!  That would break my ****ing heart!  
Snowball, get over here...![/b]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh yeah, forgot to add -------------> [sleep]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Mean ppl suck.... [8P]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
segregation will never go away. It is a fact of life that people of like cultures want to live together.

Be it black, white, mexican, martian whatever. People are more "comfortable" living in an enviornment they understand and can relate to.

given the choice most people will segrgate themselves naturally.
View Quote

[b]EXACTLY![/b] Now here's the bonus question: why do reuters/liberals/democrats throw a fit about it? Who's really the one's complaining, and why?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
segregation will never go away. It is a fact of life that people of like cultures want to live together.

Be it black, white, mexican, martian whatever. People are more "comfortable" living in an enviornment they understand and can relate to.

given the choice most people will segrgate themselves naturally.
View Quote

[b]EXACTLY![/b] Now here's the bonus question: why do reuters/liberals/democrats throw a fit about it? Who's really the one's complaining, and why?
View Quote

The liberals are sending a very mixed message.  First they say that we need a melting pot, so we all get together, then they promote racial diversity, which in effect PROMOTES PEOPLE LIVING WITH SIMILAR PEOPLE.

How can you have diversity AND mix the races?  Its impossible.  People have taken "diversity" to mean that you should be proud of the country you came from 300 years ago, even though you have nothing in common with those people anymore.

Oh yeah, Raven, that was a pretty nice load of horse shit you threw into the thread.  

The BIG problem is that the country doesn't want accountability for one's actions anymore.  They want a scapegoat for everything.  Did anyone consider that blacks just don't earn as much as whites (as a class) and that they can't afford bigger homes or white neighborhoods?  Noone complains about hispanic areas, but everyone complains that blacks can't get "out of the ghetto."  Well, guess what?  Know why noone complains about hispanic/italian/greek/arab/irish/polish/etc neighborhoods being "segregated?"  BECAUSE ITS BY CHOICE.  Know why black neighborhoods are complained about?  Because noone is saying that blacks CHOOSE this like other ethnic groups.  

Ever see a black kid in a sea of white?  He's not all that comfortable.  Not because he's not welcome (this is NY), but because he's not with his own kind.  Its just the same as if I were the only white in a black wedding. I just wouldn't be as comfortable as if there were more whites.  

And if anyone thinks this is racist, I call it realist.  "Racism" proclaimers are merely racists themselves in this case.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know what to add here, other than in my encounters with people of other races, I try not to think about anything anymore in regard to race. I'm sick to death of the subject. I don't go out of my way to make them feel welcome because they are different from me (and I from them) and I don't hassle them either for the same reason. I just don't care anymore. My two usual encounters with black people are periodically a) with my sister-in-law, who is black and from Alabama, and b) my next door-neighbor who is black, and whose wife is white. He is some sort of computer guy. My neighbors are strange, seem to have problems, and very hard to get along with. We've given up talking to them- they are liberal somewhere to the left of Nikolai Lenin, and have a major chip on the shoulder- why, they've never said, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involves guns, something I've never talked about with them, but I'm sure our kids have mentioned it to them.

My sister-in-law is great. She doesn't hunt, but appreciates having a gun around to protect her, and likes cooking up venison for my brother, her husband. She is rather moderate politically, and thinks Jesse Jackson's a "poverty pimp". She runs a day-care center.

Why are these two people of the same race so different? (what a ridiculous question, when you think about it) Part of it may be due to where they grew up- urban MA vs. rural MS and AL. Sometimes that transcends race, so, I just throw up my hands and take people as they are- it's easier, unless they try to use their race against me and turn out to be royal pains. It has happened before, but long ago. I don't see many black people in my day to day life.

As for black prejudice against white, frankly, I never hear about it, mainly because I try to avoid the subject. Some things I can't do anything about.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I just have to add, if it makes your bored, sleepy, or you just plain old are sick of the topic.

F'in leave, click on a different thread.

It's pretty silly to claim how dumb this thread is , then post a reply about how dumb or silly it is.

Jeez. [argue]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently discovered that i'm more comfortable with people who speak english close to the same way that i do, regardless of color. I used to think I was uncomfortable when i was in the middle of large groups of non-white people simply because they were non white, but a recent experience has convinced me that language plays a much larger part than appearance in determining whether or not i'm comfortable around a group of people.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I recently discovered that I'm more comfortable with people who speak english close to the same way that I do, regardless of color... a recent experience has convinced me that language plays a much larger part than appearance in determining whether or not I'm comfortable around a group of people.
View Quote

Yeah, I feel the same way too - I sometimes see patients where I work who are white but from non-English speaking cultures (usually Russian or Eastern European.)  I feel a lot less comfortable talking to them than I would with a black, Hispanic or Asian person who speaks *standard* American English (no ebonics, please.)

I've heard that an insult that (for example) a black person can throw at another black person is that he's "talking white."  It implies, "So you think you're better, you're educated, you're just an Uncle Tom."

Great attitude [:(!]

Gabe

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've heard that an insult that (for example) a black person can throw at another black person is that he's "talking white."  It implies, "So you think you're better, you're educated, you're just an Uncle Tom."

Great attitude [:(!]

Gabe

View Quote

I honestly don't have anything against individual black people, but this attitude that black society harbors is and will continue to be the reason they remain at the bottom of the rung in American society.

[V]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top