Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:58:19 AM EDT
Study: Perceived racism leads to depression among Hispanics
Feb 26, 2006
kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4553666&nav=HMO6
PROVO, Utah -- Perceived racism may lead to depression and sleep problems in the Hispanic community, according to a new study by a Brigham Young University researcher.

Previous studies have linked depression and sleep disorders, said BYU clinical psychologist Patrick Steffen, but his new study looks at racism, sleep disorders and depression together. There may also be a link to high blood pressure among Hispanic immigrants.

"We found that perceived racism impacts the quality of their sleep and that disturbed sleep is related to depression," Steffen told the Deseret Morning News in a copyright story.

The perceived racism causes depression because those affected have difficulty determining where they fit in with other people, said Monroe White, a clinical psychologist at the Mountainlands Community Health Clinic in Provo.

Steffen, an assistant professor of clinical psychology, is halfway through a $260,000, 4-year study funded by the American Heart Association. The association is interested in learning more about heart disease factors in Mexican immigrants.

Mexican immigrants, who generally experience low blood pressure and low rates of heart disease in their native country, are experiencing high blood pressure and increased rates of heart disease after immigration, Steffen said.

Although these increases can be attributed to a change in diet and physical activity once they immigrate, a 2003 study by Steffen showed perceived racism is also related to sustained increased blood pressure.

Steffen and BYU graduate student Matthew Bowden gave mental health evaluations to 168 Hispanic immigrants who had been in the United States for an average of five years.

Steffen said immigrants who have more recently arrived in the United States don't experience depression related to racism as often as immigrants who have lived here longer. It isn't until after they start learning and understanding English that they perceive racism, he said.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:00:25 AM EDT
They're more than welcome to stay the fuck home.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:01:23 AM EDT
boo hoo

life is tough. they should have thought of that before jumping the fence in the first place
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:06:54 AM EDT
Well, Hispanics maybe if quit moving illegally into areas( the United States) like you own the place when you haven't as much as payed rent yet, Maybe you might be more welcome, However you choose to move in and be Arrogant when you have nothing to be arrogant about, you piss and shit where you please once you're there like you never seen a restroom, You make no efforts to be part of a community but choose instead to hang out with your own and ignore everyone aroungd you.

Gee, somehow i don't think it's racism , i think it's resentment, that you folks arriving from Mehico don't respect the law, the people around you, other's property etc.

This why real Hispanics don't like you either!!

BTW, for those uninitiated Only those from Cuba, Puerto Rico and the rest of the Carribean are Hispanic.

Mehicans are "Chicano!!"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:08:09 AM EDT
Cry me a fracking river...

<--- Hispanic, whose parents got here the LEGAL way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:28:16 AM EDT

I'd be depressed too if I didn't pay any taxes, got .gov handouts while contributing nothing, and had the sympathy of so many caring people in non-border states..... Hey wait, Why are they depressed again? Oh Ya, their FEELINGS are hurt by people who take offense at the FACT that they are here ILLEGALLY. Hope ya feel better.....Now leave.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:32:23 AM EDT
Percieved retardation leads to irritation.

I was going to mail off a small check to the AHA, but I'm not going to. A quarter of a millino dollars wasted on this bullshit.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:33:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oulufinn:
I'd be depressed too if I didn't pay any taxes, got .gov handouts while contributing nothing, and had the sympathy of so many caring people in non-border states..... Hey wait, Why are they depressed again? Oh Ya, their FEELINGS are hurt by people who take offense at the FACT that they are here ILLEGALLY. Hope ya feel better.....Now leave.

They say "knowing the problem is half the solution"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:59:00 PM EDT
Wonder when the class action lawsuit is being started?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:04:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Cry me a fracking river...

<--- Hispanic, whose parents got here the LEGAL way.

+ eleventy billion <------- Hispanic, whose family has been American citizens since 1898 and Spanish citizens before that.
Top Top