10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/15/2005 2:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 2:44:42 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

Study: Half of All Teens Have Had Oral Sex

Thursday, September 15, 2005; 10:54 AM

Slightly more than half of American teenagers, ages 15 to 19, have engaged in oral sex, with females and males reporting similar levels of experience, according to the most comprehensive national survey of sexual behaviors ever released by the federal government.

The report today by the National Center for Health Statistics shows that the figure increases to about 70 percent of 18- and 19-year-olds.

The survey, according to those who work with young people, offers one more sign that young women are more sexually confident than they used to be.
{So being a promiscuous slut is now considered "confident"!??}

A release by the center six months ago, based on the same survey results, showed that slightly more girls than boys have intercourse before they turn 20. In addition, other national data indicate that the same proportion of high school girls and boys have sex only one time with a particular person or have relationships with others that they are not romantically involved with.

"This is a point of major social transition," James Wagoner, president of Advocates for Youth, a reproductive health organization, said yesterday. "The data are now coming out and roiling the idea that boys are the hunters and young girls are the prey. It absolutely defies the stereotype."

The data also underscore the fact that, unlike their parents' generation, many young people -- particularly those from middle- and upper-income white families -- simply do not consider oral sex a big deal.

"Oral sex is far less intimate than intercourse. It's a different kind of relationship," said Claire Brindis, professor of pediatrics at the University of California-San Francisco. "At 50 percent, we're talking about a major social norm. It's part of kids' lives."

Bill Albert, communications director for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, put the generational difference this way: "We used to talk about sex in terms of first base, second base and so on. Oral sex was maybe in the dugout."

Until now, said Brindis, who has worked in the field of adolescent health for 30 years, researchers, policymakers and politicians could turn only to anecdotal evidence or small samples in order to gauge sexual behavior. Policies and programs were put into place that may turn out to be ineffective and put young people more at risk for sexually transmitted disease.

The newly released data, gathered in 2002, are sure to stir debate over abstinence-only sex education. Supporters of such programs say they have resulted in young people delaying intercourse, but opponents say they simply have led young people to substitute other risky behaviors, especially fellatio and cunnilingus. The new data tend to support the latter view, showing that nearly one in four virgin teens has engaged in oral sex.

Many teenagers have fully accepted the idea that postponing intercourse is a good thing to do, Brindis said. When they weigh the advantages and disadvantages of intercourse versus other forms of sex, they decide that they are far more at risk with intercourse, both because of pregnancy and the greater risk of disease.

"They're very smart about this issue," said Brindis, "but they may not have been given a strong enough message around the risks of oral sex. Maybe we need to do a better job of showing them they need to use condoms." Oral sex has been associated in clinical studies with gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes and the human papillomavirus, which has been linked to cervical cancer. Condoms and other forms of contraception can be used to decrease the health risks of oral sex, but few teens use them.

"If a substantial number of young people are having oral sex, as these numbers indicate, this is a big concern," said Kristin Moore, president of Child Trends, a children's research organization that analyzed the center's most recent findings.

Child Trend's analysis breaks down the federal data by age, race and ethnicity, mother's education, family structure and income. Combined, these breakdowns show that oral sex is most common among white families in the higher-income brackets.

Many sexual health programs have focused on kids from lower-income families, Moore said. The new data suggest that those programs may need to be expanded to other groups.

"...one more sign that young women are more sexually confident than they used to be..."

"At 50 percent, we're talking about a major social norm. It's part of kids' lives."

"They're very smart about this issue..."

Number of times the word "Clinton" appears in above article: 0

Thank you Mr. President.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:44:46 PM EDT
Teenagers have sex?

Wow. Don't tell the abstinance advocates.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:46:51 PM EDT
I wish I was 16 again
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:48:29 PM EDT
I agree, it's appauling. However, I'm not sure you can really associate Bill Clinton with it. I'm far from being a Clinton apologist and I'm a staunch conservative. If anything the media in general these days pushes sexuality in everybody's face and especially young girls. Hell just look at American Pie. That was a very very popular teen movie that normalized oral sex.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:51:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:
Teenagers have sex?

You --->

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:51:26 PM EDT
I'm 19 - in college I have definitely given and received plenty. I see nothing wrong with it either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:51:52 PM EDT
According to the liberals and dummycrats its not sex.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:53:04 PM EDT

Teenagers have sex?

I know its shocking. However the abstinence advocates will never get it. In Europe teens engage in sex at about the same rate as Americans, but their rates of STDs and Teen pregnancy are dramatically lower, I wonder why.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:53:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
According to the liberals and dummycrats its not sex.

That is another problem. It's not considered sex so it's ok. Like girls having anal sex and thinking they're still a virgin...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:54:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:
I agree, it's appauling. However, I'm not sure you can really associate Bill Clinton with it. I'm far from being a Clinton apologist and I'm a staunch conservative. If anything the media in general these days pushes sexuality in everybody's face and especially young girls. Hell just look at American Pie. That was a very very popular teen movie that normalized oral sex.

Clinton is part of the debasing of American culture wrt sexual promiscuity - in addition to the movies, music, media etc that you mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:55:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ardenner:
I'm 19 - in college I have definitely given and received plenty. I see nothing wrong with it either.

ditto
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:55:47 PM EDT
Could someone forward this to the girls I know? They didnt get the memo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:55:47 PM EDT
And of course none of these kids lied on this survey either...just no possible way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:56:43 PM EDT
It's fucking disgusting and that is all their is to it. I recall my freshman years when on a few occasions had offers from girls for blow jobs. It was as if it was nothing more than a hug to some of them. And this was back in the 90's no telling how fucking bad it is now.

Simply fucking disgusting. Well off again hopefully I will be able to post again in the near future but not sure.

And sorry if my use of the f word offends any one but this just really gets under my skin, I have known gorgeous sweet girls who would think nothing of sleeping with a random guy, its just horrible and can make the prettiest girl look like the hag that sleeps inside her.

Olyarms
Take it easy friends.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:56:53 PM EDT

i'm 21 and in college and have definitely not given or received any. i love the fact that nothing is following me around to later haunt me and potentially my marriage. it is a personal choice, but there's plenty wrong with it, JMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:57:39 PM EDT
This issue has been bothering me lately. Being in my second year of college, and having seen the impacts of casual oral sex on many girls I knew, I can't walk around campus and see a pretty girl without thinking "I wonder how many dicks she's sucked lately." Being one of those crazy wait-for-marriage types, it bothers me that casual oral sex is so accepted by young women, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to be in a relationship and not wonder about her past activites.

Young girls don't just do these things and not have it affect them. I've known too many with self esteem issues, and the worse they get, the more they go back and do some more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:58:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1BMF:

ditto

They have the same morals in North Africa, now look at them
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:59:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Could someone forward this to the girls I know? They didnt get the memo.

Same here.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:00:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigWorm55:
This issue has been bothering me lately. Being in my second year of college, and having seen the impacts of casual oral sex on many girls I knew, I can't walk around campus and see a pretty girl without thinking "I wonder how many dicks she's sucked lately." Being one of those crazy wait-for-marriage types, it bothers me that casual oral sex is so accepted by young women, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to be in a relationship and not wonder about her past activites.

Young girls don't just do these things and not have it affect them. I've known too many with self esteem issues, and the worse they get, the more they go back and do some more.

pretty much what he said. well put.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:00:41 PM EDT

ditto

Sounds ghey.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:00:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Thepilot:

i'm 21 and in college and have definitely not given or received any. i love the fact that nothing is following me around to later haunt me and potentially my marriage. it is a personal choice, but there's plenty wrong with it, JMO.

I was talking about girlfriends ive had, not "random hookups"
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:02:55 PM EDT by 1BMF]

Originally Posted By TheCommissioner:

ditto

Sounds ghey.

I was talking about going down on a girl, not giving a BJ.

I cant speak for Ardenner though
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:05:01 PM EDT by Ardenner]

I have never done anything other than make out with someone that I was not in a relationship with as well. Casual sex is a good way to get an STD.

ETA- Not into guys, but I don’t see anything wrong with it for those that are.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:04:29 PM EDT

In Europe teens engage in sex at about the same rate as Americans, but their rates of STDs and Teen pregnancy are dramatically lower, I wonder why.

Yeah, let's be more like Europe.

Are their rates of STDs and teen pregnancy lower than what our nation had before the "sexual revolution"?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:04:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

Teenagers have sex?

You --->

i wish I coud go live in your fantasy world. Do they have ice cream there?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:06:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigWorm55:

I know what you mean. I'm 20 in college and would also describe myself in that crazy wait for marriage group.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:07:36 PM EDT
I sometimes wonder how all this sexual activity is going to affect these youngsters in 10-20 years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:07:51 PM EDT
good times
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:08:20 PM EDT

In Europe teens engage in sex at about the same rate as Americans, but their rates of STDs and Teen pregnancy are dramatically lower, I wonder why.

Yeah, let's be more like Europe.

Are their rates of STDs and teen pregnancy lower than what our nation had before the "sexual revolution"?

Their rates are extremely low and falling. Look, I don't agree with everything Europe does, but obviously they do something right. Kids are going to F**K no matter what you do - you might as well educate them such that unwanted babies aren't born/aborted (oh their rates of abortion are way lower too right wingers). Also keeping STD rates down is a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:08:39 PM EDT
At least noone gets pregnant that way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
In 18th century New England 1/3 of women were pregnant on their wedding day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:12:04 PM EDT
Oh and by the way teenage girls these days think submitting to anal is not considered intercourse. Oral sex by itself is bad enough but what kids are doing as we speak is horrendous
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:19:28 PM EDT by Lockedon]

www.sivas.com/pm/images/uploads/esquire.jpg

Thank you Mr. President.

Sounds an aweful lot like you're saying: It's Bush's Clintons Fault.

I rest my case: No. Fucking. Difference. Once again, the narrow mind of The_Macallan has proved me right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:16:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:18:20 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

I have never done anything other than make out with someone that I was not in a relationship with as well. Casual sex is a good way to get an STD.

ETA- Not into guys, but I don’t see anything wrong with it for those that are.

Umm... having sex with a string of "girlfriends" is casual sex.

And looking even beyond the myopic concerns of STDs and pregnancy, the longterm effects of a debased threshold for sexual behavior in an entire generation of young adults will be reflected in a debasement of morality and values of society in general. I go back to the Clinton escapade - it's not just that he had sex with an intern, it's that his lascivious values consumed his entire presidency. Multiply that kind of indulgent sexual "distraction" across an entire generation of young adults and society as a whole will be worse off for it, not to mention the psychological effects on many young kids who's first formative years as an adolescent/adult are imprinted with years of such whorish behavior.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:18:06 PM EDT

Thank you Mr. President.

This may come as a surprise to you, but oral sex existed before Bill Clinton.

I don't even know why they bother including college aged 18-19 year olds in this except to inflate their numbers. Yeah, technically they fall into the teen category, but its not like you are talking about the 13-15 year old age group when you discuss 18-19 year olds.Unless you go off to one of the Bible thumping colleges, pretty much everyones getting laid once they get to college. And from talking to friends who DID go to the Bible colleges, those numbers aren't lagging much behind mainstream schools, they just are more underground with their behavior.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:22:14 PM EDT

When U're a father w/ a teenager daughter, you'll think otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

Thank you Mr. President.

Sounds an aweful lot like you're saying: It's Bush's Clinton Fault.

Once again, the narrow mind of The_Macallan has proved me right.

Read the expansion of my point in the several other posts I wrote instead of anencephalically and hyper-reflexively clacking out your ignroant assumtion to my reference to Clinton in the opening post.

I don't blame Clinton. I REFER to him and thank him for his partial contribution and his "fair share" of contemporary attitudes towards oral sex.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:24:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
And of course none of these kids lied on this survey either...just no possible way.

Yeah... its probably higher than 50%.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:38:46 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

Kids are going to F**K no matter what you do - you might as well educate them

A generation ago there was nowhere near 50% or more of highschool kids having sex. Not even close.

The more we "educate" them on the "good" way to have sex, the more their going to do it.

Decency, modesty, moderation and delaying immediate gratification are far more important things for adolescents to learn than how to give head using a condom. See my reply to Ardenner above for more on this.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:47:31 PM EDT by Sigurd]
Lumping 18 and 19 year olds in this survey is stupid.

Old enough to die for your country, but not old enough to get a blowjob?

Give me a fucking break.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:57:01 PM EDT
50% seems like a low figure, I would think it is much higher. A bunch of those kids are lying through the pubes in their teeth
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:58:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 4:00:38 PM EDT by LonePathfinder]
Yea not like women had sex in their teens in the past in the 1700s or 1800s or even the first half of the 1900s. No of course girls didn't marry at 13, 14, 15 or 16

Give me a break. More kids are having sex because...........there are more kids. The population is more than doubled since a hundred years ago. How do we honestly know what it was like back then? Their technology for rapidly assimilating information was pretty low.

All these, back in my day yada yada yada. Truth be told I bet the average age of getting married "in your day" was probably 18-21 for females. So all you old farts arguements will not wash. They were having sex just as young back then.

Its the way the modern world is. You can legislate rights of man but you can legislate morality. Raise your own kids right and quit worrying about everyone else's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:58:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:
Hell just look at American Pie. That was a very very popular teen movie that normalized oral sex.

Oral sex wasn't normal before American Pie??!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:00:41 PM EDT

You should adopt a what happens in the dorm room stays in the dorm room policy with your buddies.

[blinking smiley faced little dude inserted here]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:01:42 PM EDT

Teenagers have sex?

I know its shocking. However the abstinence advocates will never get it. In Europe teens engage in sex at about the same rate as Americans, but their rates of STDs and Teen pregnancy are dramatically lower, I wonder why.

Keep in mind the following data are in absolute terms, not "per unit population".

Estimated new Chlamydial Infections in 1999 (in millions):
North America: 3.93 (m 1.77, f 2.16) (not including Latin America or Caribbean)
Western Europe: 5.22 (m 2.28, f 2.94)
Eastern Europe: 5.97 (m 2.72, f 3.25)

Data are similar for Gonorrhoea, Syphilis, and Trichomonas.

And finally, prevalence of curable STDs per 1000 population:
North America: 19
Western Europe: 20
Eastern Europe: 22

Interestingly, the per 1000 rate in North Africa and Middle East: 10. Hmmmm. Perhaps there is something to that morality thing.

Source: UN/WHO (www.who.int)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:06:32 PM EDT
LMAO, what a bunch of prudes.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:07:50 PM EDT
Half of all teens had oral sex. The other half lied.

Lots of spit babies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:08:11 PM EDT
The unanswered question is do they swallow?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:08:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:
Yea not like women had sex in their teens in the past in the 1700s or 1800s or even the first half of the 1900s. No of course girls didn't marry at 13, 14, 15 or 16

Give me a break. More kids are having sex because...........there are more kids. The population is more than doubled since a hundred years ago. How do we honestly know what it was like back then? Their technology for rapidly assimilating information was pretty low.

All these, back in my day yada yada yada. Truth be told I bet the average age of getting married "in your day" was probably 18-21 for females. So all you old farts arguements will not wash. They were having sex just as young back then.

Its the way the modern world is. You can legislate rights of man but you can legislate morality. Raise your own kids right and quit worrying about everyone else's.

I would think, though, that if they were getting married at 13, 14, 15, or 16, then that meant the sex they were having was not casual sex. It also was not premarital. And I would also think the stability of those married relationships was higher. My grandma was a filipina girl who married at age 15 and had her first child at 16 (she ended up with, off the top of my head, 12 or 13 kids). My grandparents have now been together for almost 60 years, through tough times. It's not the same issue as it is nowadays, where 15 year olds are having sex with each other after they get drunk at a party.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:11:34 PM EDT
Oh please. I'm 21 and Clinton didn't make me wan't to have sex... Hilary espically.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:13:27 PM EDT
This is why go3 don't kiss. go3 just fuck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top