Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 7:55:15 AM EDT
This is going around the leftist sites and they are beating the drums of class warfare

How long until it's a requirement from the government to buy a house in order to solve the lack of access to housing? If you like your house you can keep your house

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/employment.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:57:18 AM EDT
Yawn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:57:22 AM EDT
How many can afford liqueur?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:11 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrasshopperNOmore:
View Quote

All of them, as it's generally cheaper than liquor, though I'm not sure how many drunks try to get shitfaced off Kahlua.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:28 AM EDT
If every "community organizer" would take in one "homeless" person, there would be no more "homeless problem".
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:02:45 AM EDT by Foxxz]
I avoided being homeless by having a room mate. By both of us having a job we were able to combine a portion of our income and afford housing. I know this is a brand new and untested concept.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:02:52 AM EDT
Probably 99% of homeless people are homeless for a reason.  Drugs, alcohol, mental problems or extremely poor life choices.  It's actually quite hard to be homeless in America.  It requires alienating all of your friends/family to the point where they won't give you a place to stay, not working a job and somehow blowing all of your saved money.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:03:11 AM EDT
sounds like bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:05:24 AM EDT
Liberals' stats on the homeless are more flexible than Mr. Fantastic on muscle relaxants.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:22:08 AM EDT by TrojanMan]
Originally Posted By Visionary:
Probably 99% of homeless people are homeless for a reason.  Drugs, alcohol, mental problems or extremely poor life choices.  It's actually quite hard to be homeless in America.  It requires alienating all of your friends/family to the point where they won't give you a place to stay, not working a job and somehow blowing all of your saved money.
View Quote

A lot of homeless have serious mental health issues.

We decided that it's not right to put them in mental health wards, and so they live on the streets instead.

Progress!

Oh, and clearly the solution to their homelessness is to give them more free stuff.

People can't comprehend what it's like to have a grown adult that is completely incapable of taking care of themselves.  I know a few people like this, and one of the charities I'm involved in maintains a trust fund for some of them.  Without this charity, these people would be homeless or dead.  The government doesn't give a fuck about them, and even if they did, they're not equipped to help.  These people need a full-time caregiver.  Oh, they're completely 100% physically capable.  They can walk, they speak fine, they can manage fine-detail tasks.  I'm not talking about mentally retarded people here.

I'm talking about people that literally cannot be trusted with any responsibility whatsoever, or they will compulsively and habitually fuck it up for themselves.  If you give them money, it's going to be gone nearly instantaneously.  They can *not* manage their own lives.  They are mentally incapable of responsibility.  I'm not a doctor, so I don't even know what you'd call that, but I do know that you can't solve their problems by giving them things.

Like a child, you need to try to get them to do as much for themselves as possible, and then provide the rest directly.  One guy, the only thing he can cook is microwaved Steak-Umms covered in ketchup.  But that doesn't matter.  The important point is that we've got him cooking a meal for himself.

These people need stewards.  They need people who care, and will be there 24/7 to hold their hand through every tiny little thing.  Yes, that takes a massive amount of money, but it also takes serious care and humanity.  It's not a problem you can solve with social media awareness.  You can't get 2 million 'likes' and suddenly do shit for the homeless.

At least in DC, charities do this.  The gov't doesn't do shit.

ETA:  Check these folks out, I can tell you that they're top-notch awesome at what they do.  They are literally saving lives, every day.
http://www.greendoor.org/
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:23:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 44Regular:
If every "community organizer" would take in one "homeless" person, there would be no more "homeless problem".
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:27:49 AM EDT
I know a homeless guy who drives a 2010 BMW 750.

He's not collecting a gubment check but technically he's homeless.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:29:56 AM EDT
Homeless is likely defined like this: Lease is up Jan 1, move across country and move into new place on Jan 3.  Where did you live Jan 2?  That's how they add another 'homeless' statistic to further the agenda.

Kinda like calling a 19 yo gangbanger killed in a turf war 'another child dying due to gun violence".

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:30:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By runcible:
Liberals' stats on the homeless are more flexible than Mr. Fantastic on muscle relaxants.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:35:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I know a homeless guy who drives a 2010 BMW 750.

He's not collecting a gubment check but technically he's homeless.
View Quote

You can live in a car, you can't drive a house!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:37:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:37:57 AM EDT by Couch-Commando]

Originally Posted By Foxxz:

I avoided being homeless by having a room mate. By both of us having a job we were able to combine a portion of our income and afford housing. I know this is a brand new and untested concept.
View Quote
It is known in college campuses and among illegal immigrants. I'm surprised the knowledge has not spilled over to poor Americans yet.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:41:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:43:48 AM EDT
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:44:25 AM EDT
I do wonder if it is time to build more studio style apartments. Wages are stagnant and there are more singles than ever before. And rents in Colorado are much higher than my house payment.

But I also agree with others here, they really play with those homeless numbers, including sometimes single mothers who move back with the parents.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:46:24 AM EDT
If you got a car, you're never homeless.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:46:41 AM EDT
80% of the homeless are drug and alcohol abusers and 60% of them and the rest are batshit insane.

Percentages based on my observations lool
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:51:09 AM EDT
In my county the median single family home costs about $750K. The median household income is only $60K. We don't have many homeless because it is too cold in the winter. Some live in the forest in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:51:17 AM EDT
View Quote

Ding ding ding, was going to post this, only Smartphones. I make good money and don't own a smartphone. I see all the burger flippers at McDonalds on smartphones every time I go in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:54:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jestice75:

Ding ding ding, was going to post this, only Smartphones. I make good money and don't own a smartphone. I see all the burger flippers at McDonalds on smartphones every time I go in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, because $20 a month for an unlimited plan from Republic Wireless and you use the boss' WiFi all day on it is a real lack of priority.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:57:45 AM EDT
I wonder how many really are actually homeless, as in no address. Or was this figure just made up of employees who's name is not on a deed, or lease or maybe is staying with someone other than immediate family. Aren't companies kind of reluctant to hire people without such info? Undocumented workers how would anyone know since they are undocumented.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:57:50 AM EDT
Published by the National Coalition for the Homeless, July 2009
View Quote

Why is the OP putting this outdated study on the first page of GD
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:35:03 AM EDT
View Quote

Yep, first job out of college rented a nice house with 3 other friends, one room each plus common living areas.  My rent worked out to be $250 a month, how is that unaffordable.?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:36:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
Published by the National Coalition for the Homeless, July 2009

Because that's where new posts go?

TXL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:39:35 AM EDT
This is curious because stories about homelessness usually disappear when the dims control the govt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:39:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SS109:

I do wonder if it is time to build more studio style apartments.
Wages are stagnant and there are more singles than ever before. And rents in Colorado are much higher than my house payment.

But I also agree with others here, they really play with those homeless numbers, including sometimes single mothers who move back with the parents.

View Quote

Good idea, comrade.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:39:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:
In my county the median single family home costs about $750K. The median household income is only $60K. We don't have many homeless because it is too cold in the winter. Some live in the forest in the summer.
View Quote

How many square feet does that 750K get you?  

2000 or less, I bet.

I saw a house in Boulder, 1800 sq feet, 50 years old, went for more than 500k.

All due to the progressives.  They don't want sprawl, so the city buys all the surrounding property, which causes a shortage, and causes 75000 houses to go for 500,000.

It's great for the city, because they get the prop taxes on the folks they fucked for their property.

Fucking facists.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:45:57 AM EDT
I think too many here think too much in black and white about poverty issues.  The working poor do have real problems that are worthy of sympathy.  Food and gas prices through the roof?  A real problem when you are close to the line.  Home and rental prices up because of irresponsible borrowing and emission of currency by the government?  Once again, a real problem if you live paycheck to paycheck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:48:46 AM EDT
True fact.  Having a SS check or some form of disability counts as a "job" for reporting purposes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:51:05 AM EDT
View Quote

Sounds good.  Make it so.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:54:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PovertySandwich:
Yeah, because $20 a month for an unlimited plan from Republic Wireless and you use the boss' WiFi all day on it is a real lack of priority.
View All Quotes

If you're fucking homeless, food for two weeks vs a smart phone IS a SERIOUS lack of priority.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:55:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR4U:

If you're fucking homeless, food for two weeks vs a smart phone IS a SERIOUS lack of priority.  
View All Quotes

Good luck trying to find a job if you don't have a way to be contacted.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:56:17 AM EDT

View All Quotes

Bam. Nail meet hammer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:56:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ScrinMaster:

View All Quotes

Library, email there. Thank you, come again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:58:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:

View Quote

Email?  Are you for real?  Who would honestly take you serious if your only contact method was email?  What not a fucking pigeon?  That's free, right?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 12:03:19 PM EDT by Jinxsters]

Email?  Are you for real?  Who would honestly take you serious if your only contact method was email?  What not a fucking pigeon?  That's free, right?
View All Quotes

Ahhhh okay. So I'm taking it places like fast food restaurants, or the likes is way above a homeless persons skill level. Is that how I'm reading this? I can't tell  you how many places I went when I was younger, right after the interview where they said "when can you start?" Guess it's different nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:05:32 PM EDT
If only the govt would force banks to give loans to poor people so the could live some where nice

Oh wait
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:05:46 PM EDT

Ahhhh okay. So I'm taking it places like fast food restaurants, or the likes is way above a homeless persons skill level. Is that how I'm reading this? I can't tell  you how many places I went when I was younger, right after the interview where they said "when can you start?" Guess it's different nowadays.
View All Quotes

For fast food, if you don't have a bachelor's degree in Quick-Service Restaurant Arts and 25 years experience, you're wasting your time these days.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:07:00 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Funny, a good friend of mine doesn't have a cell phone, and he has averaged a new job every 2 months for the last 14 months (he's a cook and finds a new job whenever he gets bored with his current one).

Also set up all of his music gigs without a phone.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:11:43 PM EDT

For fast food, if you don't have a bachelor's degree in Quick-Service Restaurant Arts and 25 years experience, you're wasting your time these days.
View All Quotes

I bet I could go to any of my local fast food restaurants, and have a job with any one of them in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:50:05 PM EDT
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:54:52 PM EDT
The homeless can't afford homes.  Hunh, who would've thought?  

Now if only someone could explain that wet stuff that falls from the sky.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:57:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Visionary:
View Quote

In the 90s one of the writers at the Dallas Morning News discovered that Dallas had enough shelter beds for everyone on the street, and then some. The bums didn't want to use them because of the rules.

1. No alcohol
2. No illegal drugs
3. Bathing required at least once a week
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:58:45 PM EDT
THEY STAY THAT WAY TO POOR WE HAVE NO PROLEM HERE IF NOT LOW CLASS. MANY JOB FOR SMART PEOPLE HERE.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:12:32 PM EDT
Every so often our local paper will publish the homeless children statistics.  Something like 15% of the kids in our county are identified as homeless by the state.  The paper then explains what "homeless" means.  It includes:

more than one family living in the same house

living in short-term rentals

living in trailers/RV's

living with someone other than the kid's family

We have friends who are living in a nice 40' 5th wheel on their grandmother's property as they build their dream house on their own property nearby.  Their daughter is technically "homeless" under the state's definition.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:15:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ElectricSheep556:

Good idea, comrade.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/6jogav.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ElectricSheep556:
Originally Posted By SS109:
I do wonder if it is time to build more studio style apartments.
Wages are stagnant and there are more singles than ever before. And rents in Colorado are much higher than my house payment.

Good idea, comrade.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/6jogav.jpg

Top Top