Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 12:00:10 PM EDT
Two Riverside students suspended for taking snowballs to school

Associated Press
RIVERSIDE, Calif. - Two Ramona High School students were suspended for bringing dangerous objects to school - snowballs.

Seniors Michael Sepulveda and Daniel Zavala, the snowball co-conspirators, made a pre-dawn run to the San Bernardino Mountains to fill their pickup trucks with snow and bring it to school for what they hoped would turn into an annual "bring Big Bear to Riverside" ritual.
They were suspended after a school parking lot snowball fight before the start of classes Thursday.

Principal Mike Neece said one of his most important responsibilities is maintaining a safe, orderly learning environment.
"Anything that disturbs that or disrupts that is inappropriate on a school campus," Neece said. "Anything that could cause injury, or could cause a student to get upset and instigate a fight, or damage students' personal property is just inappropriate behavior."
Zavala and Sepulveda were stunned.

"The school overdid it. In the handbook it does not say, 'Do not bring snow to school,'" Zavala said Thursday afternoon.
"It's snow," Sepulveda said.

Savala's mother Martha Valdez called the boys' actions "harmless" but said she supported the decision by school officials.
"They're still there to mandate the rules, and they have to draw the line somewhere."
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever happened to letting kids be kids. I mean hell 6 years ago when I was a senior the track team had a major snowball throwdown, who gives a shit? It seems like schools are expecting hormone raging teenagers to turn into 30yo responsible adults in 1 year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
TJ, this can be linked the article you posted with the psychological factors of anti-gun activists I think.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Whatever happened to letting kids be kids. I mean hell 6 years ago when I was a senior the track team had a major snowball throwdown, who gives a shit? It seems like schools are expecting hormone raging teenagers to turn into 30yo responsible adults in 1 year.

What, because 30 year old "responsible" adults don't clobber each other with snowballs?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]

"Anything that could cause injury, or could cause a student to get upset and instigate a fight, or damage students' personal property is just inappropriate behavior."

Pencils, pen, staplers, desks, shoes, hands, teeth, computer keyboards, hot water, lunch pales, forks, spoons, knives, brooms, bodies of water at least 3 inches deep, slippery floors, belts, rope, string, piano wire, a piano, cars, gasoline, tire irons, cigarette lighters, matches, bars of soap.... y'get the idea.

It's damned snow, it comes around every year for a few months in my parts. I have yet to hear of my school's officials suspending the weather man.

They should worry about students who do instigate fights instead of tying everyone's hands together to keep those who might mollified.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, because 30 year old "responsible" adults don't clobber each other with snowballs?

I am not 30 yet, so I don't know
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
fucking kalifornia
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
At my sons school (elementary) they are not allowed to throw snowballs at anything. Pretty much the norm around here. I am sure it is just like everyhting else, they (school dist.) are afraid they would get sued if some child got hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top