Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/10/2004 3:49:14 PM EST
BEAUMONT, Texas -- A Southeast Texas businessman is upset that his son's English class watched Michael Moore's scathing documentary on President Bush and his handling of events after the terrorist attacks.

Michael Kurth, a veteran, said he was opposed to the film "Fahrenheit 9/11" based on its R rating and political partisanship. His son Matthew, 17, said that he put his head on his desk and tried to sleep through it.

"It bothered me," he said.

Moore's condemnation of Bush's actions regarding the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon became the first documentary to top the $100 million mark domestically. In the film, Moore examines the Bush administration's alleged financial ties to Saudi Arabia and the bin Laden family.

"It is spun to a very liberal viewpoint," the businessman said. "It is absolutely wrong for teachers to take a political position with some of these kids at legal voting age."

Michael Ryals, principal of Pathways Learning Center, said that he previewed part of the film before he allowed the teacher to show it in class on Friday.

"I didn't hear anything that was offensive to me," he told the Beaumont Enterprise in Saturday's editions, adding that he did not know of the R rating.

Ryals said one student told him of another movie that takes an opposing view and he urged the student to bring it Monday for review to see if it could be shown.

Pathways is an alternative school for students moved from their home campuses for disciplinary reasons. Kurth said his son is at the school for 40 days after having too many tardies.

Beaumont Independent School District spokeswoman Jolene Ortego said she spoke to Kurth and assured him the matter would be addressed by Monday morning.

School board trustee John Williams said R-rated films should not be shown without parental consent.

Kurth, 39, said he watched it to see all sides and decided he did not want his family to see it, then was "livid" to hear that his son's class was viewing it weeks before the general election.

Earlier this summer, thousands of people watched the documentary in Crawford, Bush's adopted hometown, where Moore's staff had made arrangements to send a copy after learning that no theaters in the Waco area had been showing the film. A Waco theater subsequently agreed to screen the film.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:52:05 PM EST
In summer of 2003, I was in an upper-division justice class, and this chick keppt saying we should watch Bowling For Columbine as part of the curriculum. I pointed out that its rental release date (August 5, 2003) was after our class convened. Didn't matter to her. "Bowling For Columbine! Bowling for Columbine! You HAVE to see this movie! Show it in class!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:55:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 3:55:34 PM EST by GrH_Revelation]
Should've told her to STFU and move to France.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:57:28 PM EST
i wouldnt have a problem with it as long as they showed dick morris's new film about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:57:47 PM EST
The term is "crockumentary"...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:58:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By raven:
In summer of 2003, I was in an upper-division justice class, and this chick keppt saying we should watch Bowling For Columbine as part of the curriculum. I pointed out that its rental release date (August 5, 2003) was after our class convened. Didn't matter to her. "Bowling For Columbine! Bowling for Columbine! You HAVE to see this movie! Show it in class!"

Tell her you want to watch busty asian harcore 15, and if she doesn't want to, she can STFU

Just for the look on her face
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:05:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Originally Posted By raven:

Tell her you want to watch busty asian harcore 15, and if she doesn't want to, she can STFU

Just for the look on her face

Or 'Sore Throat' starring Linda Lovelace and King Kong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:13:19 PM EST
If they also show a movie with an opposing viewpoint then this would be okay.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:19:20 PM EST
Government De-Education camps at their best.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:34:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
If they also show a movie with an opposing viewpoint then this would be okay.

No problems here.

et the kids make up their own minds.

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:37:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:02:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 5:02:50 PM EST by netwt12]

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
I'd be a little miffed at propoganda films being shown in a child of mine's classroom -- and I don't even have children.

+1. i think the term "documentary" is misused for this film. the only thing documented is moore's poluted and slanted side of the story. documentaries give unbiased facts. his movies dont even come close.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:23:37 PM EST
The Blair Witch Project was more of a documentary
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:29:22 PM EST
I'd be upset to.

oh, by the way, what do you think of my avatar
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:30:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:34:46 PM EST
This is another example of why I question my children daily about what they did/talked about in school. I'm in constant email contact with all of their teachers and made it clear at the begining of hte year that personal political views WILL not be expressed to my children in the classroom. So far they are all in agreement. THis is also coming from teachers in a very lib town.

Teachers have to know that you will be involved, everyday, all year and will jump at anything that is out of place. It is the LEAST that we as parents can do for our kids.

CH
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:36:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:00:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bad_Aim:
The Blair Witch Project was more of a documentary

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:03:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Government De-Education camps at their best.

Looking at all the stuff we had to watch, I expect Id have to sit through it if I was in school today.

atleast 25% of total calss time in a few classes was watching movies or TV
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:07:58 PM EST
I would be pissed off myself if this was show in high school. It is against the law to promote polictical partys in public schools. This would appear to myself as a violation of that law.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:10:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By copenhagen:
I would be pissed off myself if this was show in high school. It is against the law to promote polictical partys in public schools. This would appear to myself as a violation of that law.

Problem is in most schools you will wind up with alot of problems if you try to go against what they say these days.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:17:36 PM EST
Communication about what is going on in the classroom with your children is VERY important. Not just for stuff like this but in general. Ask your children what they learned today, talk to them about it. Watch them practice math problems, read their homework etc. Every parent should know their childrens teachers by name, and not be afraid to contact them.

I am a teacher and I can say that the number one problem with education today is lack of parent involvement. Not the only one but a big one. Lack of parent involvement is what allows for things like this, as well as general teacher apathy. Some teachers are bad, some just get burnt out by parents who don't care.

The big question this parent should have asked is "what the heck does this movie have to do with junior (or senior?) high school English? How is this helping my student write better college essays? Why aren't they watching a movie on William Shakspeare?" etc etc That is why the parent should have been pissed, not because the teacher was using her possition to espouse his/her views but she was doing it at the expence of the curriculum! He/She was ignoring the job they were payed to do! The ONLY place this movie should have been watched was in Govt class, and only then if it it was countered by the other movie. Forget that, there are far to many REAL documentary films on the events that could have been watched in history or govt class.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:22:08 PM EST
Link, so this outrage can be spread around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:28:22 PM EST
Why is it that only one parent is upset?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:33:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
This is another example of why I question my children daily about what they did/talked about in school. I'm in constant email contact with all of their teachers and made it clear at the begining of hte year that personal political views WILL not be expressed to my children in the classroom. So far they are all in agreement. THis is also coming from teachers in a very lib town.

Teachers have to know that you will be involved, everyday, all year and will jump at anything that is out of place. It is the LEAST that we as parents can do for our kids.

CH

What I plan to do. Very sound course of action.

Actually I plan to home school initially.

Good for you! IM me if you have any questions. We are in our second generation of "Home Teached" kids. (a little home school humor). Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:35:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By R-32:
Why is it that only one parent is upset?

Probaly most of the others dont care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:36:53 PM EST
I would be REAL careful about showing Moore's stuff to impressionable kids without an attempt to balance it from the other side (i.e. the truth - hehe :) ).
Top Top