Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 3:20:08 PM EDT
Looks like there might be a leak from where the air filter housing meets what I think is the throttle body ('88 TBI 5.7L Chevy Silverado). I'm decent at fixing things and what I don't already know I can usually figure out with a bit of tinkering. However, I'm not good at diagnosing the problems, so help me out if you can. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
look for a cracked hose leading to the injectors on the throttle body, or leaking injector O-rings
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure your insurance premium is paid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
not familiar with that engine, but yeah fuel lines, injectors, maybe the charcoal cannister or a line coming to/from the charcoal cannister
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
look for a cracked hose leading to the injectors on the throttle body, or leaking injector O-rings

+1 I just got done replacing the fuel line that feeds my fuel rail. It was duching the engine bay in gas, and I did not notice the smell until it was really shooting out. Make sure you get to the bottom of that before a fire makes you post a thread about a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on checking the injector o-rings.  My son's 89 Jeep Cherokee was smelling of gas especially when cold and that's what it was.  They are pretty easy to change yourself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Check the fuel pressure regulator if it's in the engine bay.  Should be easy to fix.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Turns out over the years the air cleaner housing had rubbed up against the throttle body and filed it down enough to create a gasoline leak. When I got a really good look at I realized the leak was a lot worse than I had originally thought and was most definitely a fire hazard. I was lucky I didn't catch fire. So new throttle body on and I'm good to go. It was an expensive repair, but it's cheaper than a car payment. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd give a followup. Thanks for the replies though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top