Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2015 3:21:44 AM EDT
I've read a few articles that say doing cardio will ruin your muscle gains from strength training by burning your muscles off.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
It can me minimized by eating  the correct macros.

Im not sure I understand your question.

Are we talking about a fat fuck that needs to lose weight or someone that is ripped, takes steroids, supplements etc?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Eat enough calories to keep from losing it first of all.  But short cardio (45 mins or less) won't burn your muscle.  Marathon training and stuff like that will absolutely burn muscle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Cardio always kills my gainzzzzz bro....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at runners

Sprinters have bulk

Long distance marathon runners tend to be skinny.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
wow.  just wow.  the following is what you should have learned in high school:

physical exertion requires energy, which is measured in calories.  calories are present in food, and enter the body through eating and digestion.  if you are exerting so much energy that your food intake does not provide enough calories, your body goes to its backup source--calories stored in fat.  if you aren;t getting enough food, and have no fat, your body turns to its backup backup source--burning muscle.  

so unless you are exerting a tremendous amount of energy, eating poorly, and are already so shredded that your body has practically no fat to burn (say, under 4%), you aren't going to be burning muscle.

this ignores the ambiguity of "muscle gain", which can imply either size or strength.  the latter should be of primary concern, and is not going to be jeopardized by cardio unless you're basically starving.

seriously man--it's about health, not glamor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

physical exertion requires energy, which is measured in calories.  calories are present in food, and enter the body through eating and digestion.  if you are exerting so much energy that your food intake does not provide enough calories, your body goes to its backup source--calories stored in fat.  if you aren;t getting enough food, and have no fat, your body turns to its backup backup source--burning muscle.  

so unless you are exerting a tremendous amount of energy, eating poorly, and are already so shredded that your body has practically no fat to burn (say, under 4%), you aren't going to be burning muscle.

this ignores the ambiguity of "muscle gain", which can imply either size or strength.  the latter should be of primary concern, and is not going to be jeopardized by cardio unless you're basically starving.

View Quote
Ya but do you even lift bro?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Doubting it matters unless you're hardcore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't ask--it's been about 3 years, and i'm starting to get both fat and skinny at the same time.

stopped when i blew out my ACL/MCL, but that excuse was only good for about the first 9 months--everything after that was laziness.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Holy shit. Bro don't even lift.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Burning muscle.
OP must be looking for a reason to sit on the sofa.

Oh yes, by all means, don't exercise let's just get fat.
Hey, everybody else is doing it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I for one, have never witnessed him doing curls in the squat rack. His creds are highly suspect.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Fitness requires 4 things.

Endurance
Strength
Speed
The ability to recover.

Eliminate any one of those from the equation and you are unbalanced.

Everyone is genetically predisposed to favor one or two over the others.

Train your weakness-race your strength.

It really is that simple-but it took a lifetime to understand.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Zombieland Rule #1 – Cardio
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Prior to major knee problems and a recent TKR, i spent a lot of time on the pitch and indoor  playing soccer. I wasn't worried about strength or cardio.
Now I am working to regain more strength in both legs and not worried about cardio.
As soon as I quit limping I intend to start on cardio with use of a stationary exercise bicycle.
My wife says doing the strength training in PT I have become more aggressive. I am fairly aggressive when it comes to competitve sports but not so much in other things.
I believe now a balanced proram of both strength and cardio would be the best way to go and something I will pursue when able.
I believe you should develop a training regimen that fits your personalty and your needs, not so much your preference.
Physical abilities do affect your work capabilities and your personal relationships. Strength will change your outlook, cardio your "patience" dealing with matters.
Each has a different affect on your personalty IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#17]
HIIT training is the best way to either keep/add muscle while having a cardio program, or for when you want to cut.

HIIT works wonders for me when I go into a cut phase every spring snd summer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:But short cardio (45 mins or less) won't burn your muscle.
View Quote

Arbitrary number is arbitrary.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#19]
While prepping to do the movie Hercules, The Rock (Dwyane Johnson) did cardio every morning for 50 minutes prior to lifting. Not marathon type cardio, just light jogging, calisthenics, and sprints mixed in.

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Look at MMA fighters for the answer.
Those guys are ripped and cardio beasts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty beefcake. I start my lifting with 20 minutes on the treadmill. which is usually right around 2 miles or slightly more. Can't say I have ever lost any "gains" or muscle. sooo? Next question.  Sounds like you have spent too much time listening to the idiots on bodybuilding.com
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While prepping to do the movie Hercules, The Rock (Dwyane Johnson) did cardio every morning for 50 minutes prior to lifting. Not marathon type cardio, just light jogging, calisthenics, and sprints mixed in.

There's your answer.
View Quote

Dwayne is also on
the sauce, so there is your answer.

He also eats about 3x the average daily intake.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes

Only on days that don't begin with "leg."
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
HIIT training is the best way to either keep/add muscle while having a cardio program, or for when you want to cut.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I do 30 min of cardio before my 40 min strength routines. It works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There's your answer.
View Quote

Lots of juice too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Not if you are getting the right macros and making sure to eat enough. to maintain your gains.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is the lowdown.

If your end goal is to just be big as hell and pack on the most muscle possible... Skip cardio until you are ready to cut. The truth is that you can't do both without running some gear(get big and stay lean). You have to bulk, then cut, bulk/cut/bulk/cut. Regardless of what they told you above, cardio will kill your gains by making you become catabolic. You need to be taking in about 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight to pack on size. Top that off with all of the supplements and discipline and you will get big and lean.

The only time you will see bodybuilders doing cardio is typically right before a show and they will only walk on a treadmill and keep their heart rate below about 120-130 to help cut that last little bit of fat the winstrol and clenbuterol didn't get

If you goal is to just be "bigger" but healthy then by all means go for cardio.

Oh yeah... Don't skip leg day, not only will u look like a freak but leg day is great for your whole body and you gains. Just try to space it out away from yor chest day or your back day to maximize gains and recovery time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#29]
High intensity, interval training wont. High mileage/time events will
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/GAGfPkt.jpg

I pick things up and put them down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dwayne is also on[div style='text-align: right;']

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your answer.

Dwayne is also on[div style='text-align: right;']

True, damn bad example :(

I'll go with the buff MMA guys example someone posted above instead.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It can me minimized by eating  the correct macros.

Im not sure I understand your question.

Are we talking about a fat fuck that needs to lose weight or someone that is ripped, takes steroids, supplements etc?
View Quote

You can have bulk and cardio but you'll need a very tailored diet
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Eat enough calories to keep from losing it first of all.  But short cardio (45 mins or less) won't burn your muscle.  Marathon training and stuff like that will absolutely burn muscle.
View Quote
This .

Plus strength training doesn't build that much bulk. 1-5 reps.

About 10 reps is for bulk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've read a few articles that say doing cardio will ruin your muscle gains from strength training by burning your muscles off.

Discuss.
View Quote

wat

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Never skip a peep day.

NEVER

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
High intensity, interval training wont. High mileage/time events will
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Lots of conflicting opinions in this thread. Do you even lift.. Bros
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I lift weights in the morning, do cardio in the afternoon or evenings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

not really.  what pretty much everyone has said is that it's not something to concern yourself about, unless 1: you're trying to lift in order to look pretty instead of get stronger and be healthy, or 2: your idea of cardio is running a marathon.

do cardio.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I ride my bicycle and lift weights.  I find that regular long bike rides give me the capacity to expend lots of energy over a period of a few hours and this really helps with long workouts in the gym.

I always eat good food immediately after either type of workout and consume carbohydrates during a workout.  I don't do a heavy cardio and a heavy weight workout in the same day, and if I really go hard with one, then I will not be fully recovered for the other the next day.  I would never go for a 4 hour bike ride one day and then expect to bench press my max the next day.

I vary my routine and typically focus more on cycling for a few months and then focus more on weights for a few months.  But I always do both within any week unless I am sick or injured.

In order to burn your muscles off by doing cardio you would need to be very lean.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Cardio, or what I like to call "The ability to lose gains"
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cardio, or what I like to call "The ability to lose gains"
View Quote

one of the greatest broscience lines ever...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

not really.  what pretty much everyone has said is that it's not something to concern yourself about, unless 1: you're trying to lift in order to look pretty instead of get stronger and be healthy, or 2: your idea of cardio is running a marathon.

do cardio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

do cardio.

I'm lifting a couple times a week and doing 1 hour 600 calorie burn sessions on my exercise bike twice a week on off days. When I lift I'm doing low rep 6-8 sets to failure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Do 30-45 min or light AM cardio before your first meal. If you're eating right it won't hinder gains, help keep your body fat in check while bulking and keep your cardiovascular system strong. A solid cardiovascular system is damn important for squats and deads.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#47]
As others have said, unless you have no fat, don't eat enough and are training for a marathon or something it's not really something you need to be worried about.

I was a swimmer in high school, and pretty much did't have any fat at all (like many high school athletes). Our hell week was the week before thanksgiving, and every day for a week we would have to swim 10,000 yards in two hours. My friends and I lost pretty much all body fat by Tuesday, and the rest of the week we were burning pure muscle seemingly despite eating at much food as we could physically consume. At the end of the week, we were always about 10 lbs lighter than when we started.

Now, I do crossfit and don't worry about such things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As others have said, unless you have no fat, don't eat enough and are training for a marathon or something it's not really something you need to be worried about.

I was a swimmer in high school, and pretty much did't have any fat at all (like many high school athletes). Our hell week was the week before thanksgiving, and every day for a week we would have to swim 10,000 yards in two hours. My friends and I lost pretty much all body fat by Tuesday, and the rest of the week we were burning pure muscle seemingly despite eating at much food as we could physically consume. At the end of the week, we were always about 10 lbs lighter than when we started.

Now, I do crossfit and don't worry about such things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
its NEVER lag day....

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
don't ask--it's been about 3 years, and i'm starting to get both fat and skinny at the same time.

stopped when i blew out my ACL/MCL, but that excuse was only good for about the first 9 months--everything after that was laziness.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please I only pretend to lift..

Bulging discs, pinched nerves etc I spend equal time between compound lifts and cardio.

I am a fatty but I try.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top