Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 4:20:03 AM EDT
I got this the other day:

Howdy, I’m [name removed] from Houston, and I co-own a little outfit that makes decals for models

[insert web address here]

Got your addy off of F-16.net, hope you don’t mind the mail.

I’m looking for some info for a couple of sheets for Eielson vipers, and I’m hung on some details and need somebody to square us away.

I have 0 contacts there, so I’m scrounging around for help. I have a bunch of pix of the jets so we’re good one the general markings, but mostly what I’m lacking is crews names and little details like that. If you are still there, or know folks who still are, what we’re interested in is the wing jet, the 18th FS jet, a couple of random line jets and a D model.

If you can help, please gimme a holler back, and of course if your name is/was on a jet, we’d be thrilled to include it.

Thank you for your time and for your service,

Best,

[insert sender name here]

It seems a little suspicious that he would want actual names. Why wouldn't he just come up with some random names to use? Needless to say I am not giving out names. He has no need for them.

Am I being a little over cautious? I don't think so...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I wouldn't give out any names.  OPSEC
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
His name wasn't Mohammed Al' whatever or something similar is it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got this the other day:

Howdy, I’m [name removed] from Houston, and I co-own a little outfit that makes decals for models

[insert web address here]

Got your addy off of F-16.net, hope you don’t mind the mail.

I’m looking for some info for a couple of sheets for Eielson vipers, and I’m hung on some details and need somebody to square us away.

I have 0 contacts there, so I’m scrounging around for help. I have a bunch of pix of the jets so we’re good one the general markings, but mostly what I’m lacking is crews names and little details like that. If you are still there, or know folks who still are, what we’re interested in is the wing jet, the 18th FS jet, a couple of random line jets and a D model.

If you can help, please gimme a holler back, and of course if your name is/was on a jet, we’d be thrilled to include it.

Thank you for your time and for your service,

Best,

[insert sender name here]

It seems a little suspicious that he would want actual names. Why wouldn't he just come up with some random names to use? Needless to say I am not giving out names. He has no need for them.

Am I being a little over cautious? I don't think so...

It is not strange thatt he would want names.  A lot of modeler want the 'real deal' for the models, it can be a big part of getting the job done right.  Like having 'Old Crow' with the right markings and pilot name on the bird.

But for currently working pilots?

Hmmmmmmm...... before I even corresponded with him I would try to get in touch with the company he claims to work for and ask for him through a receptionist.

Then I would give him variations of pilot names rather than the real thing.

But I really am paranoid, so . . .
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Make up fake ones.

"Maj. Rex 'Coondog' Johnson"

"Col. Ted 'Maddog' Mason"

stuff like that...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to have to go with the pirate on this one.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
His name wasn't Mohammed Al' whatever or something similar is it?

No.
Derka, Derka
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
These guys are sticklers for detail, but I wouldn't give out any info, either, especially if it's to an unsolicited E-mail.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top