Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:44:52 PM EDT
What do you guys think... if Iran tries to close the straits of Hormuz in retaliation for oil boycott, would B.H.O. be willing to do his own little "war for oil"?
Or should we be girding ourselves for $5/gal gas?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What do you guys think... if Iran tries to close the straits of Hormuz in retaliation for oil boycott, would B.H.O. be willing to do his own little "war for oil"?

For close to two decades, the US Navy has had a preplanned response in place to deal with this situation.  In reality, BHO doesn't have an argument against maintaining a navigable international waterway that is extremely important to the global economy.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha! $5.00

I already paied $5.50 last year. I'm ready for $7+
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]

The Iranian are conducting a 10 day exercise to close the Straits.

By my calculations, their exercise is about 9 days too long.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

becuse it would only take 1 to squash them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month

do you spend that much a month on gas?

that's more than a car payment!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month

Sell your car and buy something that will run fine on 85...

On another note, how in the hell do you drive enough to spend $500 on a little ass island?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month

fuck e85 (unless if it's a vehicle used for hauling) and get something that gets better mileage.

i spend about a $100 a month to feed a 2012 vw tiguan.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
"On another note, how in the hell do you drive enough to spend $500 on a little ass island?"

Good question!

Waiting for the answer..
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

becuse it would only take 1 to squash them.

That's how long it took last time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month

do you spend that much a month on gas?

that's more than a car payment!

LOL, the way we get riped in hawaii $500.00 will only get you a Ford Focus. Payments run in the $750.00-1000.00 a month for car loans.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month

On another note, how in the hell do you drive enough to spend $500 on a little ass island?

To the range every weekend
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure we've got DOD officials foaming at the mouth for Iran to give them an excuse to conduct a weeks worth of unrestricted warfare.  There's probably a wish list a mile long of targets they'd like to hit in the first 24 hours if given the excuse to do so.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha! $5.00

here it was about $3.70.

now down to about $3.20.

Now $4.60 for super

$500.00+ a month

fuck e85 (unless if it's a vehicle used for hauling) and get something that gets better mileage.

i spend about a $100 a month to feed a 2012 vw tiguan.

Nissan PU & Mazda RX8. There both not to good on MPG but their paid off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Here's your sign !
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
There is only one Strait of Hormuz.  Been there too many times not to know this is true.

For that later there is only one Strait of Gibraltar as well.

Edit:  In serious response,  what was our response when we were told we did not have freedom to navigate the Gulf of Sidra?  That place wasn't nearly as important to the global economy and regional stability as the Strait of Hormuz and the Arabian Gulf.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Truth soon ^^
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He damn well be ready to force passage through the Strait, because every other damn country with a halfway competent and capable navy is going to be prepping to do just that.

No nation should stand for the Strait or any other similar waterway being shut down.  Freedom of navigation, and in this particular case, transit passage, is not something you screw around with.

ETA: Iran wont attempt to shut down the Strait.  If they do, they will lose thier current trading parters, and i have a funny feeling the otherGulf nations would turn a lot of Iranian equipment into smoking hulks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If Iran manages to close the Strait of Hormuz, gas will be more than $5 per gallon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There is only one Strait of Hormuz.  Been there too many times not to know this is true.

Edit:  In serious response,  what was our response when we were told we did not have freedom to navigate the Gulf of Sidra?  That place wasn't nearly as important to the global economy and regional stability as the Strait of Hormuz and the Arabian Gulf.

Big difference is that we knew the Libyans weren't capable of doing much to actually threaten the USN. The Iranians - if they feel the survival of their regime is threatened - can: launch missiles at shipping/oil terminals in the Gulf states,kick off a shitstorm in Iraq and just for kicks send some more goodies to the Taliban,make Hezbollah start another war with Israel. Unless we are willing to use enough force to affect regime change - and I don't think we are - we lose. They're crazy but not stupid,they also know there is very little political for another war.

If Syria was as weak as Libya we'd be actively trying to get Assad ass stabbed and shot too but because of their close allegiance to Iran/Hezbollah we have not-not to mention that Russia and China still like both regimes just fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I think obama is willing to let the USA go to shit but hopefully there are others in power that will not allow this to happen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big difference is that we knew the Libyans weren't capable of doing much to actually threaten the USN. The Iranians - if they feel the survival of their regime is threatened - can: launch missiles at shipping/oil terminals in the Gulf states,kick off a shitstorm in Iraq and just for kicks send some more goodies to the Taliban,make Hezbollah start another war with Israel. Unless we are willing to use enough force to affect regime change - and I don't think we are - we lose. They're crazy but not stupid,they also know there is very little political for another war.

If Syria was as weak as Libya we'd be actively trying to get Assad ass stabbed and shot too but because of their close allegiance to Iran/Hezbollah we have not-not to mention that Russia and China still like both regimes just fine.

If Iran shuts down the Strait its not going to be just the US involved in anything.  You will get the cooperation of the Gulf nations, plus many other nations with the means to do so.  The US would not be acting alone
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes but the Iranians know this. It will also give the US more than enough reason to bomb the shit out of their nuke sites and "regime targets". The Iranians are pros at having proxies do their bidding and habitually being a PITA but the last thing they want is an actual war with the US,UK,France and GCC as they know they most certainly wouldn't survive the repercussions but economically and militarily.

Nobody actually wants a war but Iran feels the need to bluff for both the home audience and to give enough pause that we don't just bomb them for fun. The Iranians would certainly lose a war but they have a far greater ability to inflict damage than Saddam or Ghadaffi did since 91.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Obama is too big of a pussy and will let the Iranians push us around.

We are a joke under this leadership and our enemies know it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I find it ironic we think its our duty to tell them what to do with land..water..that isn't ours to begin with.  Frankly, Iran has backers, they're not Iraq.  If people have become jaded and unconcerned with our current conflicts, there will be blood in a conflict vs Iran.  Why anyone wants to wish for continual bloodshed is beyond me.  It costs too much, it isn't in our true national interests(i.e. citizen's interests vs multinational's interests), and there's nothing to gain from war.

But hey...
War, war never changes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Iran shuts down the Strait its not going to be just the US involved in anything.  You will get the cooperation of the Gulf nations, plus many other nations with the means to do so.  The US would not be acting alone

I wish I could believe that but I don't. It looks like this whole showdown is USA vs Iran. I haven't seen anybody else say that they would do anything if Iran did it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I find it ironic we think its our duty to tell them what to do with land..water..that isn't ours to begin with.  Frankly, Iran has backers, they're not Iraq.  If people have become jaded and unconcerned with our current conflicts, there will be blood in a conflict vs Iran.  Why anyone wants to wish for continual bloodshed is beyond me.  It costs too much, it isn't in our true national interests(i.e. citizen's interests vs multinational's interests), and there's nothing to gain from war.

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Transit passage, how does it work?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

That we in NO way control or are a part of.  It doesn't connect to our borders, it isn't America's business.  Keeping to yourself, how does THAT work?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

But hey...

War, war never changes.

That we in NO way control or are a part of.  It doesn't connect to our borders, it isn't America's business.  Keeping to yourself, how does THAT work?

What happens beyond our borders effects our country and especially this would have a big impact at home.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Freedom of navigation is something every nation on this planet is tied to.  Keeping to ourselves in this is something we cant afford.  If there is a threat of the Strait being shut down, it can effect the entire world, and especially us.

Isolationism didnt work back in the day, it wont work today

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes.

Whether or not he gets re-elected I predict war with Iran within a year...unless Israel pulls the trigger herself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes.

Whether or not he gets re-elected I predict war with Iran within a year...unless Israel pulls the trigger herself.

No, but maybe. Iran has a history of backing down when facing a strong U.S.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?

Ad-hominem attacks because you're not able to actually provide any argument, cool story bro.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#37]
How many Americans could point to the straits on a map?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I would like to know why, if the arguments made to me are true, that if its in a nation's interests to keep a path of travel free and clear, why we're the only country that seems to end up trying to justifying military action as a response?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?

Ad-hominem attacks because you're not able to actually provide any argument, cool story bro.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I could. Theres 1!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could. Theres 1!
In .gov skools today, you got an A+!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would like to know why, if the arguments made to me are true, that if its in a nation's interests to keep a path of travel free and clear, why we're the only country that seems to end up trying to justifying military action as a response?

The UK has commited to keeping the Strait open.  The GCC will likely intervene.  Pretty much any EU country capable of providing support will almost certainly jump in.  Look to some of the Asian countries as well, they depend heavily on oil passing throughbthe Strait
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I could. Theres 1!
In .gov skools today, you got an A+!

And a trophy!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Obama would keep them open. As would all most of the R candidates.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?

Provoke me bro.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?

Provoke me bro.

Kind of like the Iranians try to do, right?  

Thier sole mission in life is to get th US to overreact to something so we look like the bad guys.  The problem with that plan is in this case everyone knows they are wrong
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey...
War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?

Provoke me bro.

Thier sole mission in life is to get th US to overreact to something so we look like the bad guys.  The problem with that plan is in this case everyone knows they are wrong

I just want the dude to post somthing remotely smart enough ta warrant a response from a dude like me. I'll be back, ehhh Sunday-ish to post a well qualified response and destroy him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But hey...

War, war never changes.

Did you grad hi sckool?

Provoke me bro.

I just want the dude to post somthing remotely smart enough ta warrant a response from a dude like me. I'll be back, ehhh Sunday-ish to post a well qualified response and destroy him.

You just need to go back and oppress all those poor misunderstood Muslims who would embrace you as a Brother if you weren't stomping around in your Jack Boots in their country!!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Or Cuba could get pissed and shut down the Gulf of Mexico. It amounts to the same thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top