Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 9:56:25 PM EDT

iafrica.com/news/worldnews/441404.htm

DENMARK
Stowaways 'severely decomposed'

The bodies of three African stowaways were discovered in a container onboard the Danish "Arnold Maersk" ship that sails between Algeciras in southern Spain and Malaysia, ship-owner AP Moeller-Maersk said on Wednesday.

"Members of the crew discovered a smelly liquid oozing out of one of the ship's containers on May 12. They opened the container that held the bodies of three people who had been dead for some time," AP Moeller-Maersk spokesperson Rikke Jensen told AFP.

"The crew had no chance of hearing the screams or the sounds that the victims may have made to indicate their presence, since 'Arnold Maersk' is 350 metres long and holds some 6600 containers," she said.

The container in question had come from Agadir in southwestern Morocco, where the victims, who were only identified as Africans, are thought to have stowed away about two weeks ago in the hope of reaching Europe.

By the time of their discovery, the bodies were reportedly severely decomposed, as was the clothing and the food and drink the stowaways had with them.

The tragic event was reported to Malaysian authorities when the ship arrived at the port of Tanjung Pelepas on May 14, AP Moeller-Maersk said.

According to the Danish Shipowners Association, some 50 stowaways are discovered onboard Danish commercial ships each year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't say it
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Say what?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That's gotta be a bad way to go.  

Still - we don't need any more immigrants in Denmark, thanks.

As an interesting aside - Maersk just finalized a take-over of their big competitor, and will now be a HUGE shipping company.  (I believe they were already the largest shipping company in the world, but now they'll be even bigger).

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what the cause of death was... Lack of oxygen/food/water what?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wonder what the cause of death was... Lack of oxygen/food/water what?

Cooked to death?  Those containers can get awful warm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#7]
And THAT is why I refuse to use Priceline or Expedia.com

This may be sick but: What no pics?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's gotta be a bad way to go.  

Still - we don't need any more immigrants in Denmark, thanks.

As an interesting aside - Maersk just finalized a take-over of their big competitor, and will now be a HUGE shipping company.  (I believe they were already the largest shipping company in the world, but now they'll be even bigger).

Interesting.  You see their ships constantly at the port in Corpus Christi. Easily 30% of the shipping traffic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top