Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 6:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 6:42:52 PM EDT by Sturmgeist]
I'm considering picking up some property in another state, and I'd go out there twice a year, maybe more. What all would I need to do to store a vehicle for 6 months or so on end? I'm thinking fuel stabilizer, and maybe jacking it up. Anything else I should consider? It would definitely be stored "indoors"/in a garage. I'd like it to basically be turn-key ready.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:47 PM EDT
Find a friend to turn it over occasionally. Sitting is hard on a vehicle. I've never come back from deployment and not had problems.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:44:35 PM EDT
Sta-bil Marine to get out the ethanol and block it. I would also put a solar charger on the battery for shits and grins.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:14:30 PM EDT
I don't remember ever having a problem coming back from deployment.

I change the oil just before storage, fill up the tank with ethanol free gas at the time, or for now the marine stabil as mentioned above and disconnect the neg on the battery and that is all.

jacking it up was for bias ply, not radials.

trickle charger couldn't hurt.

starting it up weekly is worse for it, unless they are going to drive it to operating temp.
you cause more condensation/ water build up in the oil just starting it up and shutting it off. never burning out the water build up from the last time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 7:25:16 PM EDT by P400]
I have cars that hibernate indoors through the winter. One is stored with ethanol free gasoline and the other gets E10 with Stabil Marine. Sometimes I siphon the E10 out anyway come spring and burn it off in my riding mower. One battery has a shut off switch, the other I can't disconnect because of aftermarket EFI so I charge it monthly. The other option would be a battery tender but I don't like the idea of leaving those things unattended. I try to run both vehicles periodically throughout the winter on warmer days. They always start right up provided that I have done my part with battery shut off and charging.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:44:27 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
I don't remember ever having a problem coming back from deployment.

I change the oil just before storage, fill up the tank with ethanol free gas at the time, or for now the marine stabil as mentioned above and disconnect the neg on the battery and that is all.

jacking it up was for bias ply, not radials.

trickle charger couldn't hurt.

starting it up weekly is worse for it, unless they are going to drive it to operating temp.
you cause more condensation/ water build up in the oil just starting it up and shutting it off. never burning out the water build up from the last time.
View Quote

Lucky man, first deployment dead battery and flat tire, second deployment starter and gas line,
Last deployment I was only gone for 6 months and two of my tires had buldges in them and my belt broke as soon as I started it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:57:57 PM EDT
Disconnect negative battery terminal and connect a battery tender. Fuel stabilizer is good, but not really needed for 6 month or less intervals in an FI vehicle. I wouldn't bother jacking it up unless you have a lift, the tires will get back into shape in a few miles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:31:21 PM EDT
Disconnect the battery.

Come back from a couple deployments, and only issues were dead batteries.  No stabil (did leave fuel tanks full though, and we do have ethanol in our gas), no up on blocks, etc.  Just parked vehicles out of the way. I do run syn oil btw.
Also note, that I did come back on leave anywhere from 9 months to a year into it, and drive around.
Top Top