9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 11:19:31 AM EDT
Doh! Somebodies getting sued for sure.

Clerk Shot To Death With Deputy's Gun
Kenmore Plaid Pantry Worker Gunned Down

POSTED: 9:26 a.m. PDT August 20, 2005
UPDATED: 9:29 a.m. PDT August 22, 2005

Story by kirotv.com

KENMORE, Wash. -- A clerk was shot and killed at a convenience store in Kenmore Saturday with a gun belonging to a King County Sheriff's Office deputy KIRO TV News reported.

The shooting took place at about 12:40 a.m. at the Plaid Pantry store located at 16928 Juanita Drive Northeast.

A King County Sheriff's spokesman said that a suspect is in custody.

KIRO TV News reporter Deborah Horne says that the dead man is Dimitri Harb, 45. His brother Michael Harb manages the Plaid Pantry, Horne reported.

Investigators said that Harb was killed with a pistol that belonged to an off-duty King County Sheriff's Office deputy. They said that the 23-year-old shooter is the roommate of the deputy and that he took the weapon without the officer's knowledge.

The shooter apparently walked into the store and opened fire. He then fled to a nearby condominium complex where he tried to break into several units before he was captured by his roommate.

Harb had worked for Oregon-based Plaid Pantry for 15 years.

Tracy Allumbaugh is a regular customer of the store. She bought a soda from Harb Friday night, "It just broke my heart that he didn't get to go home," Allumbaugh said.

Pam Barnard is another regular, "We come her all the time," Barnard said, "they're wonderful people. It's a wonderful store and we just feel really bad. This is our neighborhood."

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:21:08 AM EDT
, hope their not going to fry the cop for that
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:25:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:

+1. But I hope they batter the roommate before they fry him.

The article doesn't make it sound like a robbery. I think that guy had a score to settle with the clerk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:25:15 AM EDT
Interesting choice of roommate...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:26:20 AM EDT
Roommate Wanted: Must not be of the criminal mindset.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:34:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:34:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GummyBear1:
Interesting choice of roommate...

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:29:18 PM EDT
Does WA have secure storage laws?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:04:37 PM EDT
I hereby envoke "Dunblane" logic. From now on, Cops may not have either guns or roommates as both are too dangerous. Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:06:30 PM EDT
That is fucked up. I would love to hear the whole story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:42:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By happycynic:
I hereby envoke "Dunblane" logic. From now on, Cops may not have either guns or roommates as both are too dangerous. Do it for the children!

Police officers should be paid well enough that roomates are not necessary.

If the gun banners have their way cops will be issued a sidearm at the start of their shift which they check back into the armory at the end of their shift.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:45:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Originally Posted By happycynic:

Police officers should be paid well enough that roomates are not necessary.

If the gun banners have their way cops will be issued a sidearm at the start of their shift which they check back into the armory at the end of their shift.

Knowing Seattle, it wouldn't suprise my, although this was KCSO...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:48:07 PM EDT
"Roommate" is the secret who for GAY LOVER in Seattle. Try this version, King county fag cop makes butt-muncher lover mad with sorry gay sex. The ass fag steals his gun while he is enjoying post sex snooze and in a fit of homo rage kills a decent guy for no reason.

Something stinks with the story, if they are ducking it,,,it probably is because somebody is a fag.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:53:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lonegunman:
"Roommate" is the secret who for GAY LOVER in Seattle. Try this version, King county fag cop makes butt-muncher lover mad with sorry gay sex. The ass fag steals his gun while he is enjoying post sex snooze and in a fit of homo rage kills a decent guy for no reason.

Something stinks with the story, if they are ducking it,,,it probably is because somebody is a fag.

Sorry, it's just funny.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:55:53 PM EDT
Did the local PD at least do a criminal background check on the roommate? This is a good as justificcation as any for a gun that only the authorized person can fire. A few LEOs have been killed with their own service another service weapon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:05:36 PM EDT

Holy pooh nuggets, Batman!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:58:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
Did the local PD at least do a criminal background check on the roommate?

That would be both a legal and ethical violation of state and federal database laws.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:04:23 PM EDT
WTF? What kind of cop rooms with a crook?

Was the roomie a crook before the shooting, or was he a (until now) good citizen who one day pulled his roomie's gun out, went down to the corner store, and blew someone away?

There has to be more to the story. I would like to know some background on the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:07:57 PM EDT
Holy Pooh Nuggets! That is THE best line....EVER!

Oh, I also liked the secondary caption for the "homo room mate!"

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:39:37 AM EDT
Washington Deputy's Gun Used in Killing by Roommate

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE (AP) -- The roommate of a King County sheriff's deputy, arrested after a convenience store clerk was shot to death with the deputy's personal gun, could face charges by Wednesday, authorities say.

Bail was set Monday at $1 million on Christopher Andrew Bistryski, 23, who was being held for investigation in the death of Dimitre Harb, described by his employer as a married father of four in his 30s or early 40s.

In documents filed Monday in Superior Court, prosecutors wrote that Bistryski told investigators he was angry because Harb had described him as a crazy ''apocalypse theorist'' shortly before the shooting at a Plaid Pantry store in suburban Kenmore.

Bistryski, whose criminal record includes juvenile arrests for burglary, theft and arson, was arrested moments after Ferenc Zana, 44, a sheriff's deputy with 20 years on the force, told emergency dispatchers early Saturday that his roommate had taken his personal Glock semiautomatic handgun and that he had heard gunfire.

According to court papers, Bistryski returned home shortly after the shooting and yelled, ''I shot the guy, I shot the guy. I shot the clerk, he jumped at me.''

The gun was not the deputy's service weapon, and as of Monday no decision had been made whether to review how Zana's roommate obtained it, sheriff's Sgt. John W. Urquhart said.

''Obviously, we're concerned that this guy was able to get a hold of the deputy's firearm,'' Urquhart said.

Crazy guy having his own personal TEOTWAWKI

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:47:26 AM EDT
One more reason why any gun not on my person gets locked away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:51:11 AM EDT

Why not? As a concealed carry permit holder I am subject to increased punishment for allowing unauthorized access to my weapon. Why should the rules be different?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:52:30 AM EDT

Washington Deputy's Gun Used in Killing by Roommate

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE (AP) -- The roommate of a King County sheriff's deputy, arrested after a convenience store clerk was shot to death with the deputy's personal gun, could face charges by Wednesday, authorities say.

Bail was set Monday at $1 million on Christopher Andrew Bistryski, 23, who was being held for investigation in the death of Dimitre Harb, described by his employer as a married father of four in his 30s or early 40s.

In documents filed Monday in Superior Court, prosecutors wrote that Bistryski told investigators he was angry because Harb had described him as a crazy ''apocalypse theorist'' shortly before the shooting at a Plaid Pantry store in suburban Kenmore.

Bistryski, whose criminal record includes juvenile arrests for burglary, theft and arson, was arrested moments after Ferenc Zana, 44, a sheriff's deputy with 20 years on the force, told emergency dispatchers early Saturday that his roommate had taken his personal Glock semiautomatic handgun and that he had heard gunfire.

According to court papers, Bistryski returned home shortly after the shooting and yelled, ''I shot the guy, I shot the guy. I shot the clerk, he jumped at me.''

The gun was not the deputy's service weapon, and as of Monday no decision had been made whether to review how Zana's roommate obtained it, sheriff's Sgt. John W. Urquhart said.

''Obviously, we're concerned that this guy was able to get a hold of the deputy's firearm,'' Urquhart said.

Crazy guy having his own personal TEOTWAWKI

The homo theory is looking more likely.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:04:46 AM EDT
Somehow, I don't thaink that a 44yo man would have a 'roommate' who ia almost half his age......
A lover, S/O, bottom, Top, ect.... Sure

But a room mate just to make rent? I really doubt it...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:07:23 AM EDT
Damn registered guns so much easier when they cannot trace them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:08:28 AM EDT
sounds like a episode of the shield where a gay cop is banging some punk crook
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:08:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:

Why not? As a concealed carry permit holder I am subject to increased punishment for allowing unauthorized access to my weapon. Why should the rules be different?

They should not be. However if a member of your own household stole your gun and used in in a crime should/would you be responsible?

In my state there is some case law that says simply locking your doors when you leave your home fullfills the safe storage requirements.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:10:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:
Somehow, I don't thaink that a 44yo man would have a 'roommate' who ia almost half his age......

Recently divorced and needed the help with the rent? I know guys who pay over 70% of their take home pay to alimony & child support.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:10:52 AM EDT

That is funny. Friggin ass bandits.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:11:43 AM EDT

I dont know, if it was his friend/roomate then he should be out on the street sans job, as anyone that acociates with that sort of element should not be carrying a badge. If however it was just a random roomate, I would agree totaly.

Discipline would be in order at any rate due to the fact that he left his gun unsecured enough to be taken by a roomate.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:21:35 AM EDT

Recently divorced and needed the help with the rent? I know guys who pay over 70% of their take home pay to alimony & child support.

If that was the case he might be working for "free" when the the victim's family is getting the other 30% of his paycheck for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:38:25 AM EDT

And that is one reason that I have my daughter. If you know people who are paying 70% of their take home, then they had a shitty lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 11:59:17 AM EDT by sixgunsblazing]
UPDATE:

Yep, he's gay- with a history of "issues"
At least twice previously, the Sheriff's Office has looked into Zana's relationship with young men. In a 1991 case, handled under then-Lt. Sue Rahr, who supervised the department's Internal Investigations Unit, Zana faced allegations that he furnished alcohol to a minor. He was found not guilty of criminal charges in the case. Rahr is now the sheriff.

Several years later, according to a former supervisor, Zana was counseled, but not punished, after he was accused of flirting with a minor.

The findings of the two internal reviews were not available from the Sheriff's Office Friday, Urquhart said.

Friday, outside of Zana's home -- a gray condominium with white trim in the well-kept "Wildcliffe Shores" complex just blocks from the Plaid Pantry where Harb was killed -- neighbors described Zana, 44, as a handsome man with dark, curly hair and a Hungarian accent.

Openly gay, Zana had lived with several other young men over the years, neighbors said, before Bistryski moved in about two years ago.

"He's had a parade of young guys living with him," longtime neighbor Liz Heinrich said. "It was pretty well known that Chris was his boyfriend, too. And everyone knew that Chris had a lot of problems."

seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/238289_zana27.html

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:58:56 AM EDT
Ban roommates.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:18:21 PM EDT

They should not be. However if a member of your own household stole your gun and used in in a crime should/would you be responsible?

In my state there is some case law that says simply locking your doors when you leave your home fullfills the safe storage requirements.

NO! Sucks that the clerk got killed. But it is completely irrelevent that the person the gun was stolen from was a cop.

And anyone who disagrees needs to look up the definition of 'slippery slope'.

It sounds pre-meditated so fry the roommate if a trial proves him guilty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:27:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By go3:
Ban roommates.

Ban armed officers. Do it for the children convenience store clerks.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:43:06 PM EDT
Negligence pays a price. I for one can guarantee that no body will be placing my hands on my firearms without breaking into my stuff etc. He should have had a bg check on the roommate from a PRIVATE company, not through his department.

But hindsight is 20/20. Hope this works out ok for the deputy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:51:39 PM EDT

Even if they did they are feel-good laws that can only be enforced after an incident. Here PD is expected to carry their weapon on or off-duty. Thus said incident might not have happened.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:01:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
UPDATE:

Yep, he's gay- with a history of "issues"

Anyone wanna bet that a straight officer would have been fired for similar incidents?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 2:06:16 PM EDT by GunnyG]

Almost did....

from archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1997/102997/guns.102997.html

Of Guns ...
Initiative 676 is confusing and unnecessary

Daily Staff

Initiative 676 is a cleverly crafted attempt to trick voters into giving gun-control proponents a real treat by turning a constitutionally protected right into a state regulated privilege.

The proponents of I-676 want you to believe the law is an innocuous attempt to prevent firearm deaths. They love to raise the specter of children dying because of improperly stored guns.

“As a result of unsafe use or storage of handguns, children frequently are killed or wounded, either through criminal violence, accidents, or suicide,” reads the second paragraph of I-676. “Nationally, more than 5,000 children under the age of 19 are killed or wounded each year by handguns. Many of these child victims died in Washington state.”

Not really. Over the last five years, an average of two children per year have died from accidental shootings in Washington state. Tragic, yes; frequent, no.

Depending on who you listen to, I-676 is about trigger locks, handgun safety courses, police confiscation, inflated bureaucracy, handgun databases and the influence of Satan.

Let's take this step by step.

One section of Initiative 676 requires all handguns to be equipped with trigger locks when sold. Trigger locks aren't perfect safety measures, but on the face of it, this sounds like a fair compromise between possessing a gun and imposing safety regulations. Just one problem: you don't have to actually use the trigger lock once you own the gun.

I-676 doesn't stop with trigger locks. It requires all handgun owners to take an eight-hour safety course and obtain a gun license. “A handgun, like an automobile, is extremely dangerous when used by a person without proper training in its safe operation, handling, and storage,” reads one section of I-676.

That's true, and explains why there are more than 500 licensed safety instructors offering courses in Washington state. Does anyone want the state bureaucracy, which is responsible for the friendly and efficient Department of Motor Vehicles, regulating handguns?

There are other complaints, of course. The right-wing paranoids hint that the proposed database of handgun owners, one of I-676's 26 provisions, is part of the black-helicopter conspiracy to disarm America. And then there's NRA Vice President Charlton Heston, who thinks the measure should be designated “I-666.”

Demonic influence aside, it's too bad poor arguments have clouded the I-676 debate. It's a confusing bill that will create a gross expansion of state intrusion into private lives, and the voters of Washington state deserve to know the truth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1997 The Daily of the University of Washington

In retrospect, it's hard to say that Washington State came close, but it was a hard fight:

www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/july-dec97/guns_11-4.html

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2519/is_n1_v19/ai_20585263

www.womenshooters.com/wfn/i676.html

The final count on Initiative 676, the so-called "Handgun Safety Act" in Washington state, was:

FOR 496,633 29.4%
AGAINST 1,193,720 70.6%

Sarah Brady later said:

"Unfortunately, the NRA outspent the home-grown Safety First Campaign by more than five-to-one and successfully scared many Washingtonians out of voting for this life-saving measure. Safety First, which led the fight to pass I 676, should be commended for standing up for what is right in the face of opposition from the one of this nation’s most ruthless and devious special interest groups.

This compromise was passed, placing a gunsafe or other firearms security device in a sales tax-exempt status:

www.leg.wa.gov/rcw/index.cfm?section=82.08.832&fuseaction=section
RCW 82.08.832
Exemptions -- Sales of gun safes.
(1) The tax levied by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply to sales of gun safes.

(2) As used in this section and RCW 82.12.832, "gun safe" means an enclosure specifically designed or modified for the purpose of storing a firearm and equipped with a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device which, when locked, prevents the unauthorized use of the firearm.

[1998 c 178 § 1.]

NOTES:

Effective date -- 1998 c 178: "This act takes effect July 1, 1998." [1998 c 178 § 3.]

ETA: My high school (Inglemoor '83) is up the hill from there, and I have good friends and family in the area.
Top Top