Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:52:38 PM EDT
I am new to this and have a few questions, dont want to let the goodness go to waste.   I usually cook bacon in a skillet which leaves bacon crumbs, so I drained my drippings into a ball mason jar through a coffee filter.  It worked fantastic, and is now clear as store bought oil.  How should this be stored?  Fridge?  Cabinet?  How long will it last?  Will it Spoil?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Store in glass jar in refrigerator.

Put in hot grease from griddle, explode glass, burn hands, start thread on ar15.com

Become hero.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't even have to refrigerate it if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Pour it down the kitchen sink.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people store it in the cupboard some people in the fridge. some people filter it, some don't.

I don't filter and I leave it in the fridge. I suppose you could clean it out every couple years or so, depending on how regularly fresh stuff gets added.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Look no further on Arfcom than here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1446309_How_do_you_store_bacon_fat.html

Unfiltered, in the freezer for me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Old tallboy can with the top of the can cut off. I can't get it to explode.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I store it a can on the counter. It will last a while. Just use it up every so often in some cornbread and you won't have to worry about it being around too long.
My parents always left it out. I've never seen it strained, waste of time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
We always just pour ours into a coffe cup and put plastic wrap over the top and store it in the refrigerator.  Works just fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I let it sit in the pan until it turns solid. By then the glass jar I pulled out of the fridge has warmed up some. Turn the burner to low to melt the grease and pour it in the jar.

Unfiltered and in the fridge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Drained into a small Pyrex dish and stored in the fridge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some people store it in the cupboard some people in the fridge. some people filter it, some don't.

I don't filter and I leave it in the fridge. I suppose you could clean it out every couple years or so, depending on how regularly fresh stuff gets added.

this!........when the wife cranks out some biscuit's, get that iron skillet out. Put in about two big table spoons. Get it goin good and brown your flour, a little at a time!, black pepper too..............

add water, keep stirrin.  Yes I will die by heart failure..................................

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
What's this bullshit about storage? I eat it with a spoon. Nothing goes to waste around here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Bacon is so awesome that it preserves its own grease. Can on the counter works just fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Put in hot grease from griddle, explode glass, burn hands, start thread on ar15.com

Become hero.

Nice

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
My dog loves me because I mix a few tablespoons in with his dry food. He loves bacon as much as Dad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Store religiously....use liberally.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Biscuit's and gravy, Chicken and Dumplin's..................ever wonder how your old hill family lasted on fried food?

plain old physical labour! They burnt that bad stuff off workin!

killed lettuce, red eye!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 1

I've seen the old folks keep it in a small crock by the stove.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Store religiously..

How do you convince the wife of this?  She is starting to notice that it is taking up space. (I do not need to eject, add beans, not add beans, etc)

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I just fried 2 lbs of bacon just a few minutes ago, to make BLT's for lunch.

....and I released the bacon grease back into the wild by pouring it on the ground outside. Did I do wrong?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Become hero.

This sounds about right.
Quoted:

....and I released the bacon grease back into the wild by pouring it on the ground outside. Did I do wrong?

Water that spot every other day or so for the next 2 weeks, and within 8-10 months you should have either a bacon shrub or short-ish tree (depending on the nitrogen content of your soil)

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That sounds both criminal and sinful.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That just hurt a little bit inside..

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

learn how to make gravy, red eye, or whatever! killed lettuce is often called wilted lettuce. Red eye,gravy.

go to the forums by state KY,WV, Tenn, ect and ask. I came from Pike County KY. Years back.  I eat stuff up here folk's cringe at!

just took blood sugar............107 blood pressure is great, colesterral. 188. go figure? 54 years old...............dip too.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You did wrong!
You did very wrong!
You dumped something as dear to our hearts as bullets and gun powder!
Bacon grease is to be saved back and used as grilling enhancement to steak, pork, chicken, and several other foods - NEVER throw out bacon grease!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Store religiously..

How do you convince the wife of this?  She is starting to notice that it is taking up space. (I do not need to eject, add beans, not add beans, etc)

Tell the wife if she applies some to her neck and naval area, you will not be able to resist her under any circumstances.   No disrespect meant to your wife, but this will aid you in your burn rate of bacon grease.

Seriously though, I usually just use left over jam/jelly jars that are small and fit into leftover space in the fridge or pantry.  If you're starting to acquire too much of it, you're not using enough of it.  I use it for just about everything possible.  If you grill/bbq chicken, put a little on the skin of the chicken.  Be careful not to scorch it though.  It'll taste like heaven with just a little salt/pepper while it's cooking.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#29]
you boy's need some good hillbilly food!

kill ya a hog in january,feb........ fresh sausage,pinto beans,cornbread and cracklins. ya don't know what your missing.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1

most folk up here throw it into a fridge.....down south a little differant.

me thinkin blackberry cobbler..........this weekend. hot  blackberry cobbler, good ice cream = napp time

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pour it on the dag's dry food. Have a best friend.

If you pour it on the dag's food the mutt would have to fight me for it.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Coffee can on the stove.

Convenient for when you're boiling some vegetables.   Add tablespoon of bacon grease.   Instant flavor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1

Coffee can in the cabinet over the stove. I do it this way as did my father before me....and low do I see the line of my people using bacon drippings forever.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

learn how to make gravy, red eye, or whatever! killed lettuce is often called wilted lettuce. Red eye,gravy.

go to the forums by state KY,WV, Tenn, ect and ask. I came from Pike County KY. Years back.  I eat stuff up here folk's cringe at!

just took blood sugar............107 blood pressure is great, colesterral. 188. go figure? 54 years old...............dip too.

LOL ....don't worry. I got 3 qt mayonnaise jars full of bacon grease....You can't make gravy 'n' bisquits without it. ....and use it for greenbeans , cornbread, etc  too.
I'm about an hr away from Pikeville....so we probably got the same cookbook.

Just didn't have another jar to store it in.....maybe I should build a shrine since it is now hallowed ground.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL ....don't worry. I got 3 qt mayonnaise jars full of bacon grease....You can't make gravy 'n' bisquits without it. ....and use it for greenbeans , cornbread, etc  too.

Just didn't have another jar to store it in.....maybe I should build a shrine since it is now hallowed ground.

well I had to come up Cleveland way to make my $$$$$$$  them mines are made for a special person back in my day!

see ya again soon I hope!

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilted Salad!!!! MMMMMMMM! That's good eatin'! But then again my people are from Letcher Co. & Big Stone Gap...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bacon-aise.  

It takes little to no effort once you know how to make mayo with it and you'll never buy store bought junk made with vege oil again.  It, flat out, makes the best ranch dressing.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1

Coffee can in the cabinet over the stove. I do it this way as did my father before me....and low do I see the line of my people using bacon drippings forever.

I do this as well ^^

Grandma did it that way, Mom, so been kept that way my whole life and it hasn't killed me or my family yet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love cornbread made with bacon grease!!     Warm cornbread with breakfast in the morning and a cup of coffee.....is a little slice of heaven.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Storage?

I use it all up.  Bacon at any meal of the day yields a dinner built on bacon fat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Strained with a stainless steel mesh, not filtered... Kept in a antique cooking grease crockery, and refrigerated.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#44]
We used to pour it in a ceramic mug, then cover it.  Reuse in a short time later.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Mine is sitting in a mason jar next to the stove on the counter

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am new to this and have a few questions, dont want to let the goodness go to waste.   I usually cook bacon in a skillet which leaves bacon crumbs, so I drained my drippings into a ball mason jar through a coffee filter.  It worked fantastic, and is now clear as store bought oil.  How should this be stored?  Fridge?  Cabinet?  How long will it last?  Will it Spoil?

This. It happened to me. Hot grease on top of cold grease = ouch.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Become hero.

Were you not entertained?

I do my best.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Poop thread.......
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Mainline that shit! Store in your coronaries.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1

I do this as well ^^

Grandma did it that way, Mom, so been kept that way my whole life and it hasn't killed me or my family yet.

Same here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top