Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 4:05:42 PM EDT
Geez, this is hard to do.  I expected it to be hard, but damn!

I swear I feel like I have a buzz on.

I am trying a doctor's plan.........Wellbutrin for 2 weeks, then stop.  Well, it doesn't help.

Any reasonable suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Hypnosis.It worked for me. I smoked 2 packs a day for over 30 years(winston).Went in for one session
and walked out like I never smoked in my life.It's been 4 years now and still a nonsmoker.That was the best 60 dollars I spent in my life.I tried everything prier to hypnosis, nothing worked.Hypnosis was my last resort.You have to go into it with a positive attitude and want to quit for it to work.Give it a try and good luck.It is very nice being a nonsoker.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hypnosis.It worked for me. I smoked 2 packs a day for over 30 years(winston).Went in for one session
and walked out like I never smoked in my life.It's been 4 years now and still a nonsmoker.That was the best 60 dollars I spent in my life.I tried everything prier to hypnosis, nothing worked.Hypnosis was my last resort.You have to go into it with a positive attitude and want to quit for it to work.Give it a try and good luck.It is very nice being a nonsoker.

I will have to check that out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Hey,

For me, the patch really helped a lot.  It took the edge off those trouble spots like after meals and in the morning when I first woke up.  I was 2.5 packs of unfiltered a day. I stayed on the levels a little longer than the planned stages, but eventually made the switch to the medium and low level patches and then nothing.  

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Cold turkey
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Electro-shock therapy
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I quit cold turkey for an entire year.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to sound like a dick but... You have kids? Can you picture them around your gravesite?

How is THAT for motivation?

My friend was 13 and he had two younger brothers 11 and 9 when their dad died from lung cancer.

THAT sucked and that was my motivation for not even starting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
A guy I worked with smoked about 3 or 4 packs of unfiltered cigs/day--he was an absolute smoke machine.  He did an hour of hypnosis and hasn't had a cig for 5 years.  Really weird, but it can apparently work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cold turkey

I just tried that.  Have you ever done it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I quit basically "cold turkey" after a pack and a half for ten years. Its hard, but you can do it easily. My motivation was much like that of Dr. Fridge and I kept that at the forefront of my mind. I went from a pack and a half to 5 for one day to 2 the next day then quit. When I cut down it was very difficult  After two days of not smoking it was not difficult. However, temptation continues, and be weary of that. Regardless, good luck, and realizing that you can do it will make you succeed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Electro-shock therapy

all your childhood memories magically wiped away, along with most of your personality
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Get yourself a stun gun.  Want a cig?  Give yourself a little buzz.  Really, what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Larry,
My mom did hypnotism 11 years ago.

Good luck man.

Edit-have you tried patches?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
cold turkey, 15 days

smoked for 25 years

I want to kill something
Gary
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Larry,
My mom did hypnotism 11 years ago.

Good luck man.

Edit-have you tried patches?

I tried them to no avail.

Hypnosis is sounding more and more like the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried the Welbutrin, but it made me extremely pissed off all the time. After one bad evening I just dumped them and went back to smoking a pack a day.

Had my last smoke last Saturady evening, Sunday I started the patch. So far so good. Days 2 and three were the worst so far. Today I'm doing great, hardest part was teh habit of walking to the door to go smoke at certain times like after eating or waking up etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
cold turkey, 15 days

smoked for 25 years

I want to kill something
Gary

I know the feeling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Just do something else. You can try all the other shit in the world, but if you keep thinking about it, you will want a cigarette. Get yourself some good videogames that take a long time to beat, that should take your mind off it long enough for you to have a few weeks out then it is smooth sailing from there on out
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Start using Copenhagen, it worked for me.

I know this will not be a popular course of action.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I quit cold turkey after smoking a pack a day for 5 years.  To this day I want nothing more than a cigarette.  But....I've got things to live for and I don't like not having control over my ability to discipline myself.

If nothing else, I don't want to smoke cause all the time I just quit would have been for nothing.  Occasionally I almost cave in and have one....but it's usually because someone's smoking casually in front of me.  

Oh well....

Cold turkey is the only way - sucks....but the only REAL way not to smoke....is to not smoke.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I was never a really bad smoker, but I did smoke a pack a day at my peak. I slowly eased off them. I made a rule I would never buy another pack but could smoke if a friend was smoking and offered me one (I called this the mooch plan). Eventually doing this I was down to just several smokes a week and at that point it was easy to go cold turkey.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I quit smoking using the patch 3 step system and IT WORKED the day I took the last one off no cravings or anything..........I did not smoke for 2 years then I was up north with some bud's hunting and got drunk and started again......I'm looking at my new supply of patches on the counter right now....HERE WE GO AGAIN

Good Luck

(Luck has nothing to do with it JUST DO IT)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cold turkey

I just tried that.  Have you ever done it?

did that over 4 years ago and haven't looked back - it was hard, but i had friends ridicule me saying i wouldn't last 6 months. i wanted to prove them wrong and not look weak. ymmv and good luck - be strong, it's for the best
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn drug addicts!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Good luck LarryG!

I posted in the lung cancer thread that both my parents died at your ages from lung cancer 49/53 years old. And it's not a fun way to pass. Keep that in mind during the difficult times.

I wish you success
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

and with your avatar
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hell No !

Dont swap one evil for another...

Just stop.

LB

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I quit cold turkey in 1993 after about 30 years of smoking. At the end I was puffing three packs a day of UltraLights. I bought two cartons a week, and usually one pack on top of that until I got to the store.

I could have been deemed clinically insane for the next three months - short tempered, micro-second attention duration, eating like a pig, drinking sodas and water constantly, chewing gum and THOUSANDS of pistachio nuts. They are messy and keep your hands busy, and the hulls fill up ashtrays, just like cigs.

I got through it. Now, almost 13 years later I run up to 20 miles each week, and swim a couple more. I've run half-marathons, 10k's and lots of three-mile charity events.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quit smoking/chewing colt turkey 2 months ago, quit smoking a year ago.  I have gotten rid of the smoking addiction but I still crave a chew in the morning.  I don't think it will go away.  Everytime I want one I tell myself that only stupid fucks use tobacco, if that doesn't work I have a picture of someone missing a jaw and a lip.  That usually gets me to not want one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#32]
This program worked for me- the url looks wonky- but it's actually the American Lung Association.

Freedom From Smoking® Online
Welcome to the American Lung Association's free online smoking cessation program! The American Lung Association's popular smoking cessation program has just been revamped and upgraded.

www.kintera.org/site/apps/kb/home/login.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=38973&kntaw1360=C06347979AF1400BB9A60AEAA7C1313C&membershipreq=83912&targetURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elungusa%2Eorg%2Fsite%2Fpp%2Easpx%3Fc%3DdvLUK9O0E%26b%3D22933

remember:

1). THE CRAVING WILL PASS!!!

2). Just don't smoke!!  Do anything else - walk the dog, chew gum, go to the gym

(if you need a reminder on why you should quit- go to wal mart and take a look at the white-trash smokers.....)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
This program worked for me- the url looks wonky- but it's actually the American Lung Association.

Freedom From Smoking® Online
Welcome to the American Lung Association's free online smoking cessation program! The American Lung Association's popular smoking cessation program has just been revamped and upgraded.

www.kintera.org/site/apps/kb/home/login.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=38973&kntaw1360=C06347979AF1400BB9A60AEAA7C1313C&membershipreq=83912&targetURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elungusa%2Eorg%2Fsite%2Fpp%2Easpx%3Fc%3DdvLUK9O0E%26b%3D22933

remember:

1). THE CRAVING WILL PASS!!!

2). Just don't smoke!!  Do anything else - walk the dog, chew gum, go to the gym

(if you need a reminder on why you should quit- go to wal mart and take a look at the white-trash smokers.....)

why they gotta be white?  huh?  huh???  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top