Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:53:02 AM EST
Officer pulls me over for a burned out tail light.

During questioning, I'm asked if there are any illegal weapons, drugs, or bazookas in the vehicle.

I say I am on my way home from the range, and I have a bunch of guns in the trunk, but none are illegal.

Does this give the officer probable cause to search the vehicle?

This happened to me 20 years ago before I knew better.
I was detained for a half hour while they ran serial numbers to verify what I had already told them.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:54:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:
I'm asked if there are any illegal weapons, drugs, or bazookas in the vehicle.

The correct answer (as well as true based on your story) would have been, "No."

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:54:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 11:55:13 AM EST by SparticleBrane]
If you don't have anything illegal, the answer to your question is simply "No."

edit: Dangit...18 seconds!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:54:53 AM EST

During questioning, I'm asked if there are any illegal weapons, drugs, or bazookas in the vehicle.

I say I am on my way home from the range, and I have a bunch of guns in the trunk, but none are illegal.

I was detained for a half hour while they ran serial numbers to verify what I had already told them.

that makes your answer, "no." not, "yes, but blah blah blah blah"

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:55:25 AM EST

next time, a simple 'no' would be the right choice. the police are not your friends. don't give them anymore info than they need to know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:56:21 AM EST
You would think it does not give probably cause, but what can you do to stop them?? You can verbally say no, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:56:51 AM EST
I appreciate everyone pointing out my mistake.

As I said, that was 20 years ago.

The question was, does this give the officer probable cause to search?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:57:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 11:58:01 AM EST by TRMP]
*hearty chuckle* No, of course not...

And no I don't believe it does.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:59:35 AM EST
Question for the group:

What if you did have illegal guns in your car and the officer asks and you say no? The officer searches anyhow. They find the illegal weapons. Can that be thrown out since the officer didn't have probable cause?

Just askin'
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:00:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:02:44 PM EST

If your answer to the officer's question about weapons was "no", then he wouldn't have probable cause to search your vehicle..

Answer "yes" and they'll usually "find" a probable cause. Doesn't make it right by any means but if he want's to search your car, he will.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:07:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Search the lunge area of the vehicle or search the trunk?

Two different issues. Search the vehicle, maybe. Search the trunk, no.

Great point.

I'm talking about guns in the trunk.

But since it was mentioned, what about guns in a locked case in the back seat?

Would I be required to unlock the case?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:08:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 12:09:43 PM EST by ohiobob]
Yell "You will never take me alive Copper" and stomp the gas pedal to the floor
If I say I have 10 Lbs of weed in my Trunk, doesn't that give the Police a reason to look ?

ETA: never mind, I read the OP again and saw where you said NO, but had LEGAL guns in the trunk
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:09:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:09:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:11:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
Question for the group:

What if you did have illegal guns in your car and the officer asks and you say no? The officer searches anyhow. They find the illegal weapons. Can that be thrown out since the officer didn't have probable cause?

Just askin'

Absent any other circumstances that would give the officer a reason to search your car, yes, the evidence should be suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:17:49 PM EST
How many is "a bunch"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:18:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By hdbint:
I'm asked if there are any illegal weapons, drugs, or bazookas in the vehicle.

The correct answer (as well as true based on your story) would have been, "No."

/thread

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:23:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By hdbint:

If your answer to the officer's question about weapons was "no", then he wouldn't have probable cause to search your vehicle..

Answer "yes" and they'll usually "find" a probable cause. Doesn't make it right by any means but if he want's to search your car, he will.

Or say, "I invoke my fifth amendment right to not incriminate myself."

But then the cop will know you're hiding something.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:38:02 PM EST
I have had my vehicle search before and never had an issue with a LEO harassing me, though I am sure that each story and each state is different (which is obvious due to crappy gun laws in crappy states) However, I would have to say even though YOU were not doing anything illegal it does not mean that the LEO knew this or that next guy down the road is not cruising along with your neighbors stolen shotgun. I know it is a giant inconvenience, but as long as your rights were not abused I would just put up with it for what it is an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:53:18 PM EST
id say he didnt have probable cause to suspect that they were illegal because if you had illegal guns.... why take them to a gun range??

so yes correct answer would have been nope!
and if he asked may I have a look, NOPE!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:15:51 PM EST
I was pulled over a few years ago, the policeman asked if I had any guns or drugs in my truck. I answered quite truthfully that I did have guns and drugs in my truck. I had several nail guns and a bottle of Malox in my truck. He was not amused and made me go through the whole field sobriety test. I was sober and it was pissed off that he pulled me over, I was driving a beater 4X4 work pickup, was hot and tired, and he was an ass. He never did giver me a reason for the stop.

Moral to that story, don't look like you had a hard day at work, drive a beater work truck, and travel through O'fallon Missouri.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:33:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
Question for the group:

Just askin'

In the trunk? answering "No" to a request for a consensual search? That's definitely NOT PC for a search.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:36:27 PM EST
i had a similar situation where i was stopped for speeding (and i was) the officer approached, i had my ccw permit, Drivers lisc in my hand. He took both and asked if i had weapons in the car, i said i did as i had an AR and a 12G in the trunk as well as my ccw. he asked if he could see the trunk, i popped it and told him to look away. He called me to the rear of the vehicle and ended up discussing the pros and cons of my LWRC piston vs Direct Impingement gas systems for about 15 minutes. gave me my lisc back and told me to slow down.

i do recall that he said "any weapons" not "any illegal weapons" though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:37:35 PM EST
this reminds me of an episode of a show i once saw, can't remember what show it was. law and order i think....

woman is pulled over and officer ends up searching the car, without probable cause, finds a dead body in the trunk. she is arrested for murder but ultimately set free since the officer admitted to not having probable cause. WHAT THE FUCK

please tell me this kind of shit does not apply to real life....???
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:45:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By jrinfoley:
I was pulled over a few years ago, the policeman asked if I had any guns or drugs in my truck. I answered quite truthfully that I did have guns and drugs in my truck. I had several nail guns and a bottle of Malox in my truck. He was not amused and made me go through the whole field sobriety test. I was sober and it was pissed off that he pulled me over, I was driving a beater 4X4 work pickup, was hot and tired, and he was an ass. He never did giver me a reason for the stop.

Moral to that story, don't look like you had a hard day at work, drive a beater work truck, and travel through O'fallon Missouri.

if i were an officer i would have been fucking pissed. maalox is not a drug, drugs are chemicals that alter other chemicals in the human body, maalox is a compound that neautralizes stomach acid. you're fucking dumb.

i would have been an ass to you too, neither would i have given you a reason for pulling you over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:49:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By teveler:
I have had my vehicle search before and never had an issue with a LEO harassing me, though I am sure that each story and each state is different (which is obvious due to crappy gun laws in crappy states) However, I would have to say even though YOU were not doing anything illegal it does not mean that the LEO knew this or that next guy down the road is not cruising along with your neighbors stolen shotgun. I know it is a giant inconvenience, but as long as your rights were not abused I would just put up with it for what it is an inconvenience.

His rights were abused, the cop had no articulatable reason to go digging through his shit, inconvenience or not. While the OP sounds like he allowed the search, that doesn't mean the cop had any business doing it anyway.

Funny thing, this just happened to my sister's boyfriend because he had a brand new and empty Coleman cooler in his back seat, because it wouldn't fit in the trunk right. Fucker didn't even ask, just told him and his passengers to step out, terry frisked them, and made them wait on the curb as he dug through the entire car.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:52:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:21:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By RockoZ:
this reminds me of an episode of a show i once saw, can't remember what show it was. law and order i think....

woman is pulled over and officer ends up searching the car, without probable cause, finds a dead body in the trunk. she is arrested for murder but ultimately set free since the officer admitted to not having probable cause. WHAT THE FUCK

please tell me this kind of shit does not apply to real life....???

I'm ashamed to read your post, and you should be ashamed for typing it.

Why do the people here strongly support one amendment of the bill of rights but not the o thers.

Its insanity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:41:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By sodacansniper:
Funny thing, this just happened to my sister's boyfriend because he had a brand new and empty Coleman cooler in his back seat, because it wouldn't fit in the trunk right. Fucker didn't even ask, just told him and his passengers to step out, terry frisked them, and made them wait on the curb as he dug through the entire car.

What are you guys doing about it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:46:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ahiodsohi:
Originally Posted By sodacansniper:

What are you guys doing about it?

He won't do shit. He said "I just wanted it to fuckin be over so I could get out of there.." and "Fuck it, it's over and nothing will happen since cops protect each other and I can't prove shit.."

I egged him on to do something, but that's all I can do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:52:02 PM EST

if i were an officer i would have been fucking pissed. maalox is not a drug, drugs are chemicals that alter other chemicals in the human body, maalox is a compound that neautralizes stomach acid. you're fucking dumb.

i would have been an ass to you too, neither would i have given you a reason for pulling you over.

Good grief, school really is out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:03:42 PM EST

Is stomach acid not a chemical ? Does Malox not alter it ??

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:15:28 PM EST
I'll remember to say no next time

I got pulled over for the same thing a few months ago... It was around the release of the right wing extremist reports, so I thought I was getting pulled over for my Gadsden sticker and/or my licence plate frame that says Dont Tread On Me and Liberty or Death
Top Top