Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 11:51:34 AM EDT
Sometimes I can't get on line. Heres what happens.

I push power button on Presario 7360 - turn on monitor - my "enter password" screen comes on - I enter password - the word "compaq" in big red letters appears - then after a few seconds the screen goes blank and a sentence appears at the top of the screen that says "no operating system found on any devices. Press any key to try again" - no matter what i do nothing works.

Then the next day I proceed to do the same thing and for no logical reason it works flawlessly allowing me to get on line.

Am I in the Twilight Zone or maybe I'm on Candid Camera. Anybody out there can explain this to me?  Thank you all.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Rainman,

I hate to tell you this but it's about a 95% chance your hard drive is dying. I've had  two computers with the exact same symptoms and both of them lost their hard drives completely within a couple dozen power up/power off cycles.  
I'd recommend you backup your data the next time you turn it on and wait for the other shoe to drop.  Or just stick a new HDD in there before it goes totally tits up.

BeerSlayer is right, it could be a failing controller, bad board, aliens or the Klintons. But most likely your HDD is about to go south on you.

Good luck

Crash.
(A+, CCNA, MCSE +I)
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
New hard drive, mmmm  that sounds expensive.

I called Compaq yesterday to talk to a tech and ask about this problem. Get this. This guy told me that there is a CHARGE for advice. I told him " screw you and HP, I'm never buying a godamn compaq again"

This thing is a little over two years old. Guess i'll have to figure something out. Maybe just leave it on line and hope I don't get bumped. [:D]  

Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Before you do anything drastic, do this.  Open your case and check to make sure your drive cables are firmly seated on both the drive and the motherboard.  I have seen many so called computer hardware failures that were only loose cables.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend has a friend that is very knowledgable about this stuff. I'm gonna try and get her over here and show her this thread. I'm printing this up as we go along cause i never know when i'm gettin bumped, courtesy of aol. I think she has a puter you can talk to. Didn't know thaey had those.

Anyway I'll keep you posted about this [if i can] Guess its time for me to learn about computers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top