Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 7/19/2010 4:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 4:55:13 PM EDT by WildApple]
Stolen Credit Cards not investigated I guess

Couple months ago I had a credit card stolen while I was at work. I reported the incident and was questioned over the phone and they said a detective would be assigned to the case and I would hear from him. The credit card was used at 3 different stores: Walgreen's, Shop & Save, and Sheets gas station........I was kinda hoping they would at least pull a video from a store and give a look at the guy. So far I've have not been contacted by a detective and also haven't been reimbursed for the portion the thief charged to the card even though a the form was faxed back to the credit card company with a signed statement. What gives?

Is this normal?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:40 PM EDT
You have X number of days to resolve the fraud with your credit card company. Press them on it.  Read your cardholder agreement.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:57:51 PM EDT
Yes. When it happened to me it was used to make purchases at Wal-Mart.com. Wal-Mart said they would fax a form to the PD, have them fill it out and fax it back to Wal-Mart, then Wal-Mart would send back all the info they had on the buyer giving the PD a pretty solid lead. I went to the PD and was told "we don't do that". Thanks a fucking lot
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:03:52 PM EDT by ANGST]
Yes, we had a credit card physically stolen from our house (stupid open houses) when it was for sale.

No real investigation at all. CC just forgave the charges the thief made. Police did nothing . Same when my debit card number was stolen.

You'd be amazed at what police do not even look at in terms of crime. (not a cop bash at all)

I think they should make a very public example out of 5-10 of them in each jurisdiction to discourage people at least. I think now these thieves pretty much know they can operate with little to fear in the way of consequences.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:02:41 PM EDT
call the credit card company, tell them that someone cloned your card. transactions will be erased and then go one with your life with a new CC.

same applies to debit cards, but you will owe 50 bucks.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:06:47 PM EDT by WildApple]
Originally Posted By ANGST:
Yes, we had a credit card physically stolen from our house (stupid open houses) when it was for sale.

No real investigation at all. CC just forgave the charges the thief made. Police did nothing . Same when my debit card number was stolen.

You'd be amazed at what police do not even look at in terms of crime. (not a cop bash at all)

I think they should make a very public example out of 5-10 of them in each jurisdiction to discourage people at least. I think now these thieves pretty much know they can operate with little to fear in the way of consequences.

So basically they lied about the "detective being assigned to my case"
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:09:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WildApple:

Not a lie , he gets the info , for example in Fairfax Co VA , through the form I fill out on the website, he is assigned, then he files it away .
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:11:41 PM EDT
It's happened to me twice in the past four years. I've gone to the cops and the banks, nobody ever finds these dirtbags. It is the cost of doing business, so they say. Cops are overwhelmed. Whaddyagonnado? [shrug]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:17:15 PM EDT
When I lived in Memphis, our house was burglarized twice.  The first time, they actually sent a patrolman who looked over everything, wrote a report, and gave us a copy for insurance.  The second time, they took the information over the phone and mailed us a report.

Now, I heard you file a report on a website, then they bill you $18 for a copy of the report, which you have to drive downtown to pick up.

Credit cards, you call the CC company.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:17:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FFMedic:
Yes. When it happened to me it was used to make purchases at Wal-Mart.com. Wal-Mart said they would fax a form to the PD, have them fill it out and fax it back to Wal-Mart, then Wal-Mart would send back all the info they had on the buyer giving the PD a pretty solid lead. I went to the PD and was told "we don't do that". Thanks a fucking lot

The police don't make any revenue off your stolen credit card case, and it doesn't generate hysterical headlines, so why the fuck should they care?

They could profitably expend the same man-hours safely fleecing the local white suburbanites for traffic violations instead of hunting a thief in the barrios who might ultimately bring civil rights suits against them.

To both groups, we are as cattle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:38:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildApple:

Maybe, or just as likely the did, at the bottom of a giant stack of similar cases.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:45:16 PM EDT
Well, I know ONE way to guarantee law enforcement attention to stolen credit cards... Someone I know had their organizer with their credit cards AND their work badge - for access to a nuke plant stolen out of a hotel room.  As soon as she reported it stolen, FBI put a trace on her credit cards and tracked a transaction before the local police had even gotten to the hotel to take the full report, it was one of the hotel maids.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:07:39 PM EDT
Financial crimes and identity theft are so high that while your police department may have assigned someone to your case, that person, or more likely, the entire financial crimes division is overloaded and understaffed. If they have 50 cases, and only time to really follow up on 20 at a time... that's the way it is until they get more detectives.

Your local DA may have something to do with it also.

Where I am there are very strict requirements on what is prosecutable. Even with video, unless all the "boxes" are checked for the various situations, the charges will only be thrown out.

Store's video retention varies widely. You need to call the store and speak with the Loss Prevention department, and give them the information on the transaction, and the police case number. You should have at least been given that. While the store will likely not let you come see the video due to Corporate privacy rules (decisions made far above our heads), if you tell us the transaction information, they will be able to save the video and hand it over to the police. Then call the police and tell them to get someone to the store to get the video.

Good luck.
Top Top