Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/15/2011 4:35:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 4:36:09 AM EST by skunk-ape]
I just heard of a guy who has 100% VA disability but still works a full time job. No restrictions, and it is a physically demanding job.

I would have thought you wouldn't be allowed to do that
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:38:00 AM EST
yeah there is something with that. if you are able to work w/ no restrictions you should not be drawing benefits from disability.

Smells like a whole lotta fraud there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:39:24 AM EST
I think if you are on Social Security Disability you can't work a full time physical job, but I'm not sure of the VA side.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:41:29 AM EST
Any idea what his disability is? Might not be something that impairs him much physically. Maybe mental health? Maybe some hearing loss?

Just looked up the compensation rates for 100% disability. Even without any dependents that guy is banking some coin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:47:33 AM EST
VA disability is not the same as Social Security or other forms of disability.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:47:43 AM EST
My old man (rip) drew a VA disability for loss of hearing in one ear that happened during the Korean war. He worked a factory job for 31 years and never complained. You gonna bag on a guy like that too? Men like him built this country.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:48:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hamel:
Any idea what his disability is? Might not be something that impairs him much physically. Maybe mental health? Maybe some hearing loss?

Just looked up the compensation rates for 100% disability. Even without any dependents that guy is banking some coin.

Social security and VA compensation are two different things.

Social security is the government saying "ok, you can't work any longer....here is some money so you don't starve to death"

VA compensation is "You served for us and were hurt doing so, here is compensation for that hurt"

Is it right, that's up to the observer, but they are two diffrent subjects
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:53:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 4:54:01 AM EST by skunk-ape]

Originally Posted By groovyrascal:
My old man (rip) drew a VA disability for loss of hearing in one ear that happened during the Korean war. He worked a factory job for 31 years and never complained. You gonna bag on a guy like that too? Men like him built this country.

really?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:58:39 AM EST
I knew two guys who worked while receiving 100% disability from the VA.

Both guys had terminal cancer, one had brain cancer, the other had skin cancer.

Neither retired from the military, the guy with brain cancer didn't live long in a "disabled state" enough to get social security.

One guy was civil service, the other guy was a contractor.

Both have since passed on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:02:20 AM EST
39 pages on it here
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:02:26 AM EST
IIRC your disability is based on not being able to perform your craft that you were disabled from.
A friend of a friend is a Federal Employee disability lawyer. (FERS)
She told me there was a lady (Federal Employment unknown) who's
job requirement was flying to everyday. She had bad discs in her back and the sitting caused her pain.

Her job requirement was flying but the backpain prevented her from sitting for extended periods
so she was approved for disability. She is now working a job where there is no extended sittng and collects
disability. As long she earns no more than 80% of her high three she will never lose the disability...
This was FERS disabilty, not VA...

I'm guessing SS Disabilty is more strict in approving than VA and FERS.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:06:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:06:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 5:09:49 AM EST by RRA_223]
Originally Posted By Tahawus:
VA disability is not the same as Social Security or other forms of disability.

it CAN be based on the same concept for the most part - but there's always exceptions to the rule depending on what the SC is for (mental issues, for instance) - but again, generally there is an idea of severity here. There's more to this story, so who knows what this individual's personal circumstances are? But some people get disability based on being "unemployable," and others get it for physical problems, etc. Generally speaking, the 100% should correlate to being unable to work in a physically demanding job (and that's how most 100%er's would describe it to you if you asked).

But generally speaking, scamming government bennies through fraud, misinformation or deception is the Big New Thing - after all, it's a "victimless" crime. The way government hands those ratings out now days... it could be for "allergies" or Crohn's or something endemic to the standard non-military population for all we know (like a 400 pound guy with a family history and lives off McDonald's and soda getting "diabetes").

I personally think it's an insult to the guys who really can't work from combat related injuries (real PTSD, real brain injuries, real disability). But I also know that the system is FUBAR and it's very, very easy for individuals to justify being wronged by the System, or being deserving of more than they get, etc. So there's plenty of blame to spread around.

With that said, if a vet loses two legs from an IED, but gets a job using a computer - then I have no problem with a guy getting his disability/pension AND continuing to derive self-worth out of full time employment. However, this would be unusual to say the least.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:08:03 AM EST
I know a guy who is 100% VA disabled for shrapnel in his back. Claims he can't hardly move...yet he owns an apartment complex and does all the maintenance himself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:08:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Marcbme:

Social security is the government saying "ok, you can't work any longer....here is some money so you don't starve to death"

VA compensation is "You served for us and were hurt doing so, here is compensation for that hurt"

+1. My wife received 20%, FOR NOTHING. She didn't want it, but couldn't give it back. Thought them saying something was wrong with her would far outweigh the benefit of around 230.00 per month. 100% is far easier to get than you would think. AND 99.9% OF THE TIME IS ABSOLUTELY JUSTIFIED.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:11:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By cycletool:

+1. My wife received 20%, FOR NOTHING. She didn't want it, but couldn't give it back. Thought them saying something was wrong with her would far outweigh the benefit of around 230.00 per month. 100% is far easier to get than you would think. AND 99.9% OF THE TIME IS ABSOLUTELY JUSTIFIED.

So it's "far easier to get than you would think" but is 99.9% of the time absolutely justified? How do any of us know, outside of blind loyalty?

I wonder if there are statistical reports on what all the 100% SC's are for?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:16:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By skunk-ape:

really?

Hey guy, all I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:17:58 AM EST
I see it all the time guys, I work at the VA. You would be suprised at some of the stuff people come up with in order to collect a check.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:18:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By cycletool:
Originally Posted By Marcbme:

Anything over 30% is a fucking battle.

Even if you have reams of medical data to prove your claim you are still at the mercy of the VA bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:20:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 5:21:24 AM EST by TAP]

How could she get it and not want it? Every physical or medical screening or determination I've had with the military and the VA have given me the option of asking for disability or not. Never once have they forced something on me- and that's at multiple facilities and after multiple deployments and injuries on some of them. If I wanted to claim it, I could. If I did not want to, that was fine too. They offered treatment combined with a disability finding, treatment without a linked disability claim or rating, or I could pursue my own treatment on my dime if I wished and get neither.

I'm curious how she was forced to draw disability and would be interested to hear more.

Hearing loss in one ear is far from 100% disability though, so we're not really talking apples to apples.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:21:14 AM EST
My wife is 40% disabled - 20% for seriously messed up feet, and 20% for mental issues as a result of being raped.

She can't run any longer, but she's otherwise fine, and works as a legal secretary (same job she did in the Army).
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:21:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 5:24:32 AM EST by RRA_223]
Just doing a google search interesting comparison on DoD versus VA ratings (the VA is MUCH more generous):

Eric Christensen of the Center for Naval Analyses presented a breakdown of military disability ratings by percentage and service from 2000 to 2006.

The data showed that:

• Airmen are 14 percent more likely than other service members to receive lifetime disability retirement pay rather than one-time severance pay.

• One-fourth of soldiers who go through the system receive a zero percent disability rating even as they are found unfit for duty.

• About 93 percent of all service members get severance payments for ratings of 20 percent or lower rather than the disability benefits that include medical care for the rest of their lives.

• Only 3 percent of Marines going through the system from 2000 to 2006 received disability retirement pay rather than severance pay.

Christensen also said that in a comparison of VA and Defense Department ratings for the same injuries, the VA tended to rate at least 7 percent higher — even though both use the same rating schedules and have the same legal mandates.

For mental health issues, the differences are startling. The military tends to hand out ratings of 10 percent for bipolar disorder, which the VA upped to 38 percent. The military also tends to award 10 percent ratings for major depressive disorder, which the VA upped to 34 percent.

http://www.armytimes.com/benefits/health/military_disabilitysystem_VA_070328w/

EDIT: Given some of the posts here, it's also important to differentiate between a "disability" - which could be 0% to 90% depending on the injury, the diagnosis, and the combination of injuries - versus "100% disabled." ALSO, it's important to remember that there is a HUGE variation in how these claims are processed - meaning your rating would likely vary significantly based on which bureaucrat reviewed your file.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:23:11 AM EST
I know of a former Harrier Pilot, now an AIRLINE PILOT that 100% disability from the service. He's a pilot for Delta.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:23:15 AM EST
To the best of my knowledge, VA disability is different than disability through social security. The VA "bennies" (as it were) are part of the total compensation paid to service members. It's what makes up for what is (in my opinion) a pretty shitty base wage, given what's asked of them.

The idea here, as I understand it, is to say "Sorry about paying you jack shit while you took all that shrapnel in your back. We're now going to compensate you for it, and thank you for your service".

A service member who isn't permanently injured won't get the benefit...but he's not injured for life, either. Yin/Yang, and all that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:28:48 AM EST
I have owned bread and cookie routes most my life, sold my last one last November.
The depot where we pick the bread up from in my area has 40 routes running out of it, out of those 40 I know 10 guys that are on complete SS disability
for all reason, I think the make around $1600 a month on SS, on top of that they make anywhere from $1500-$5000 a week on there routes, all they do when they buy the route
is have a family member put it in there name Wife, sister mother ect., and the company knows this at closing and cant do nothing about it

People have called on them and SS could careless.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:28:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 5:32:43 AM EST by RRA_223]
Okay - here's the "official" word on unemployment disability, versus having injuries or mental illness that combine to add up to 100% SC. This is JUST for the "unemployable" status compensation (which might not be the situation of the guy mentioned by OP):

http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/serviceconnected/IU.asp

What Is Individual Unemployability?

Individual Unemployability is a part of VA’s disability compensation program that allows VA to pay certain veterans compensation at the 100% rate, even though VA has not rated their service-connected disabilities at the total level.
What Is the Eligibility Criteria for Individual Unemployability?

A veteran must be unable to maintain substantially gainful employment as a result of his/her service-connected disabilities. Additionally, a veteran must have:

* One service-connected disability ratable at 60 percent or more, OR

* Two or more service-connected disabilities, at least one disability ratable at 40 percent or more with a combined rating of 70 percent or more.

How Do I Apply?

Submit VA Form 21-8940, Veteran’s Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability to your nearest VA Regional Office. You can also call 1-800-827-1000 and request the form be mailed to you.

Can I Work?

Veterans who are in receipt of Individual Unemployability benefits may work as long as it is not considered substantially gainful employment. The employment must be considered marginal employment.

* Substantially gainful employment is defined as employment at which non-disabled individuals earn their livelihood with earnings comparable to the particular occupation in the community where the veteran resides.

* Marginal employment is generally deemed to exist when a veteran's earned income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Census Bureau as the poverty level for the veteran only. See the U.S. Census Bureau's poverty thresholds.

What If I Don’t Meet the Percentage Criteria?

Special consideration will be given for veterans when the following criteria is met:

* The veteran is considered unemployable due to a service-connected disability(ies) but fails to meet the minimum percentage standards, OR

* There is evidence of exceptional or unusual circumstances to impairment of earning capacity due to disabilities (for example, interference with employment or frequent periods of hospitalization)

Note: Veterans may have to complete an employment questionnaire once a year in order for VA to determine continued eligibility to Individual Unemployability.

For More Information, Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000
or Visit Our Web Site at http://www..va.gov.

A 100% service connection is not necessarily the same as being unemployable - but it certainly suggests a high level of injury that interferes with daily life and comfort, which makes me think that 100% SC does not mesh with full time manual labor. Maybe the guy in the OP has a prosthetic leg and the will of a bear to keep working? Who knows.

Are There Different Levels of Disability?

Yes for Disability Compensation. For Disability Compensation, the range is from 0% to 100%. A veteran with a 0% rating may have a service connected condition, but it doesn’t interfere with normal life functions. A veteran with a 100% rating will have one or more disabilities that significantly interfere with normal life functions. There is a full range between the two, with the majority of Vermont’s disabled veterans rated at 10%, 20%, or 30%.

Pension is provided only to veterans who the VA determines to be 100% disabled

http://veterans.vermont.gov/benefits/vadisability
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:38:04 AM EST

really?

Hey guy, all I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions.
I am just trying to understand..that is all, I NEVER made any slight towards any vet even your father.
I am one myself as well as my dad, who has a 30% for hearing loss when a tank drove over a case of shells in 1964 and blew out both ear drums.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:44:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 5:45:18 AM EST by skunk-ape]
this is from the website provided by one of the replies above

This answers the question fully.

"If you are rated as 100 % schedular by the VA, you can still hold a job with no limitations put on you. If you are rated as 100 % IU (unemployability) you are only allowed to be marginally employed"

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:22:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 6:23:19 AM EST by aquaman67]
I'm not sure exactly what it would take to get to 100% from VA.

But for arguments sake, let's say you lose a thumb, four toes, 50% hearing loss, PTSD, and irritable bowel syndrome from combat in Iraq to equal 100% disability and you're 23 years old.

So you're not supposed to work at all anywhere for the rest of your life????

There are lots of things you could do.

Disability does not equal disabled. I think that's where you're getting confused OP.

If they called it "Lifetime Compensation For Putting Your Ass In Harm's Way And Getting Hurt In Some Way" or LCFPYAIHWAGHISW for short,
I think you might understand it's ok to work too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:40:20 AM EST
Good. More power to him. How about you thank him for his service and keep your nose out of his business?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:48:54 AM EST
My brother-in-law is on 100% disability, and still worked climbing and cutting trees as long as he could. Vietnam messed him up and his loved ones are around his bed as I type this, waiting for him to pass.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:51:15 AM EST
Well, at least we're having a discussion about veterans and their needs rather than zoning out watching TV like most Americans whom at least one of the two wars doesn't likely cross their minds for days or weeks at a time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:51:19 AM EST
I just heard of a guy who has 100% VA disability but still works a full time job. No restrictions, and it is a physically demanding job.

I would have thought you wouldn't be allowed to do that

Okay guys, don't get your panties in a bunch. All the guy did was ask a question. He never inferred anything about anybody. I thought it was fairly honest inquiry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:55:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By LRSD:
Good. More power to him. How about you thank him for his service and keep your nose out of his business?

Yea, possible fraud has nothing to do with it at all right? People wonder about needless gov spending. SS and VA disability fraud could probably save a lot of money don't ya think?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:02:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By ZombieKiller25:

Yea, possible fraud has nothing to do with it at all right? People wonder about needless gov spending. SS and VA disability fraud could probably save a lot of money don't ya think?

You could seriously cut the VA budget 50%, Ive been saying that for years. We literally have guys that are 100% and they still continue to file.

This one will really get your blood boiling......we have veterans in prison that receive disability (only 10% max.) and when/if they get out, their disability will go back to where it was before they went in, they can also continue to file while in prison as well.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:03:43 AM EST
A friend is at 80%, combination of mental and physical and still works. On occasion, that is. Generally doesn't seem to be able to hold jobs long term so works temp jobs, most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:04:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By ttushooter:
yeah there is something with that. if you are able to work w/ no restrictions you should not be drawing benefits from disability.

Smells like a whole lotta fraud there.

You obviously haven't a clue how VA disability works.

What a veteran is rated at and compensated for may or may not have an impact on whether they are employable or not.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:16:44 AM EST
When I was in, I knew guys who viewed disability as a suppliment to their retirement. They would go out of their way to rack up as high as a percentage as possible, prior to retiring.
I knew a female who gained a considerable percentage due to having a hysterectomy. She touted it as a larger paycheck.

I am eligable for a 10% disability. I just cannot bring myself to do it though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:20:22 AM EST

really?

YEA REALLY MY FATHER WAS WOUNDED MANY times AND PERMENTLY Fucked up in vietnam and still managed to hold a job as a city manager. Your barking up the wrong tree there SARGE
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:35:17 AM EST

A lot of us have personally seen a whole lot of fraud and exaggeration in the process, so not all of us believe "more power to him" is a very good default answer. It might apply, it might not.

And when it doesn't, it's infuriating and takes away from the guys who really earned theirs. Nearly 1/4 of the guys I've been with on deployments have a disability income now of some kind, and many of them I know are absolutely bogus.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:41:53 AM EST
If you haven't realized by now that people are scum you never will. Most will lie, cheat and steal over and over again as long as they don't get caught. Most people nowadays have no integrity whatsoever. Just look at the medical marijuana thread. The state legalizes marijuana for medical purposes and all of a sudden one out of every nineteen households in the state has a need for it! Of course dopers have no integrity, dignity, or self respect in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:44:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By hungrymonkey:
When I was in, I knew guys who viewed disability as a suppliment to their retirement. They would go out of their way to rack up as high as a percentage as possible, prior to retiring.
I knew a female who gained a considerable percentage due to having a hysterectomy. She touted it as a larger paycheck.

I am eligable for a 10% disability. I just cannot bring myself to do it though.

If you are eligible for a 10% disability due to a service connected you should file, while the small amount of money you may receive seems pointless the real purpose is to show that the issue is service connected and when you are 65 or 70 and that stupid little 10% disabled thing turns into a debilitating health issue you will have the full support of the American people to help you.

It happened to my old man, he worked in cuba spraying chemicals and developed some fucked up stuff later in life that after some serious doctor bills was attributed to those chemicals. It took time but we got the VA to pay thanks to the DAV
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:55:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By Pond_Scum:
If you haven't realized by now that people are scum you never will. Most will lie, cheat and steal over and over again as long as they don't get caught. Most people nowadays have no integrity whatsoever. Just look at the medical marijuana thread. The state legalizes marijuana for medical purposes and all of a sudden one out of every nineteen households in the state has a need for it! Of course dopers have no integrity, dignity, or self respect in the first place.

Your post is the most intellectually bankrupt post I've read today, but there are some other strong contenders in this thread.

out of

And before you bitch, I've never touched dope and don't go out of my way to associate with those who do. You call yourself a conservative but you don't give a fuck about individual liberty. It's a good thing you're retired, now try not to die of a heart attack before age 50.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:05:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By TAP:

A lot of us have personally seen a whole lot of fraud and exaggeration in the process, so not all of us believe "more power to him" is a very good default answer. It might apply, it might not.

And when it doesn't, it's infuriating and takes away from the guys who really earned theirs. Nearly 1/4 of the guys I've been with on deployments have a disability income now of some kind, and many of them I know are absolutely bogus.

Yeah, it's a problem.

Not to take ANYTHING away from the folks that really need it but we DO talk about it (Guys we've deployed with "gaming" the system
for $$$). We had one guy in Afghanistan who's RG', hit a jug that low ordered (It popped the front left tire) and spent MONTHS with
the Navy Doc's on Leatherneck telling them that he had everything wrong with him from intense head-aches, nightmares, ringing in the
ears ect....to erectile dysfunction ( We were like [] on THAT one and figured he must've noticed it while visiting the porta-shitters [)

The problem WAS though that dude made no secret about the fact that he was 99.9% full of shit (He TOLD his friends he was milking it to
try and get paid when we got home). They ended up taking sworn statements from most of his PLT and by the time we hit de-mob he'd
"miraculously" recovered.

That's one of about a dozen I know personally (The worst one is an Officer I deployed with in '03-04 that flat out told me he was commiting
fraud and gave me pointers on how to do the same).

Again, not to take ANYTHING away from the guys who really need it but,.....eh....there's a few shitheads out there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:21:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By lokt:

Your post is the most intellectually bankrupt post I've read today, but there are some other strong contenders in this thread.

out of

And before you bitch, I've never touched dope and don't go out of my way to associate with those who do. You call yourself a conservative but you don't give a fuck about individual liberty. It's a good thing you're retired, now try not to die of a heart attack before age 50.

It's funny and sad at the same time how most potheads and other dopers equate their use of illegal drugs with liberty. It doesn't matter to them what damage is done to their families and society in general since as long as they have their dope, they're happy. In my opinion if you are so pathetically weak that you can't enjoy life without being high then I really feel sorry for you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:21:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 8:22:59 AM EST by Mr_Harry]
Sounds screwed up to me, I am disabled via the VA

I'm 20% disabled and am in constant pain and my mere
20% disability sure has changed my life by more than 20%.

So I would tend to question what is going on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:43:28 AM EST
I think the key point here is that you can reach 100% compensation without being unemployable. This is usually due to a combination of things - back, knees, hearing, ptsd, IBS, GERD, and lots else.

I have joes who are younger than me, are tough, hardworking kids, and are looking at a lifetime of pain because they kept pushing past the point where the typical slackjawed faggot would have quit in order to get something done for this country. I see a whole lot of lumping people that I am intensely loyal to in with the same group as welfare abusers.

Is the system abused? Absolutely.

Touchy subject.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:46:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 8:47:39 AM EST by lokt]
Originally Posted By lokt:

out of

In my opinion if you are so pathetically weak that you can't enjoy life without being high then I really feel sorry for you.

I agree with you there. Are you also celibate? Do you drink? Dave_A and you should meet up, sugar plum.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:56:34 AM EST
I practice in this area of law. VA disability has nothing to do with ability to work (except certain unusual circumstances). Someone can be 100% rated yet still be able to hold a job (physically and legally). ASSUMING they are being truthful about the facts giving rise to their rating....

The rating is based on a table in the Code of Federal Regulations. For example, if you have a certain limitation of range of motion on your ankle from a broken ankle during a parachute jump, it is 10% disability which is a set payment. You can stack percentages to add up to 100%.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:58:34 AM EST
Some people here fucking disgust me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:59:05 AM EST
It's SHIT like this that pisses me off. I was injured in the Line of Duty as a Firefighter/Paramedic. 5 Blown out discs in my lower
back. In pain constantly, Took a year and a half of trying to suck it up to go back to work before I was put out on SCDR
Service Connected Disability Retirement. 52.5% which sucks. I can barely make it through the day without walking
like a 90 year old woman with osteoporosis and a boat load of pills. Social Security is like your to young, to educated to be
disabled. No $$ for you. Meanwhile people are scamming the system. Making it harder for legitimately disabled to get
helped.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top