Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2005 6:41:50 AM EDT
Trying to quit dipping/chewing.  Any time I put in a dip or nicotine gum within minutes I can suddenly concentrate better and think clearer.

ETA doesn't help my spelling though
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure any benefit is offset by the mouth/throat cancer risk
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Most likely your mind is concintrating on the will power needed to over come your addiction, which is eliviated when you start chewing the gum.  Have you tried the patch?  Quitting chew is much harder than quitting smoking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Oh yeah (why I am trying to quit) I am just wondering if anyone else has similiar affects.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Trying to quit dipping/chewing.  Any time I put in a dip or nicotine gum within minutes I can suddenly concentrate better and think clearer.

nicotine is a stimulant. it stimulates the brain and nervous system. its sort of like caffiene, but with cancer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most likely your mind is concintrating on the will power needed to over come your addiction, which is eliviated when you start chewing the gum.  Have you tried the patch?  Quitting chew is much harder than quitting smoking.

Haven't tried the patch, my GF would know that I started chewing (she thinks I quit back in May though I picked it back up in August)
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah (why I am trying to quit) I am just wondering if anyone else has similiar affects.

I'll tell you this: my best friend is a Head/Throat/Neck surgeon in the Army.

He dipped heavily up until the point that he started cutting peoples' jaws off.

(now he sticks to cigars )
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Nicotine has both stimulating and relaxing effects. You may indeed be clearer-headed after taking it. It has also been shown to be of some benefit in Alzheimers patients.

It also has a fair number of hazards, as you probably know. Extremely deadly stuff in a pure state.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen pics of people who have lost jaws.  Sucks....I am just going to have to suck it up and get some guts and just fucking quit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You want help quitting?

On Monday, my younger brother (42) had a section of his jaw, part of the inside of his mouth and part of his lip removed because cancer had developed right where hu use to place his chew. He used chewing tobacco for less that 10 years. They removed bone and skin from his leg to reconstruct his jaw.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You want help quitting?

On Monday, my younger brother (42) had a section of his jaw, part of the inside of his mouth and part of his lip removed because cancer had developed right where hu use to place his chew. He used chewing tobacco for less that 10 years. They removed bone and skin from his leg to reconstruct his jaw.

From what I have learned, chewing is far, far worse than smoking and cancer will develop far quicker on the lip and gum than those people who smoke.   It was the dumbest thing I have ever done.  Generally I consider myself to be a bright person but to keep dipping makes me an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I know that they are doing studies right now with nicotine as an ADHD treatment.  Apparently, it has a stimulant effect on the brain similar to some of the medications that are used.  

I know that when I really need to concentrate on what I am reading or writing I always work better and faster when I have a smoke or a dip.  In fact, after I was diagnosed with ADHD after law school  I realized that this pattern of smoking while writing in college and law school was one of my ways of self-medicating and compensating for my screwed up brain chemistry.  The other usually involved the use of an ephedrine based sports supplement.

Luckily, I never got into the harder and illegal methods that utilized by some people.

SBG  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't tried the patch, my GF would know that I started chewing (she thinks I quit back in May though I picked it back up in August)

I would strongly suggest just using the patch and telling the girlfriend that you've had some weaknesses and you want to be strong.  If she's worth her weight in salt [which I bet she is and more] she'll be supportive.  Quitting is very difficult.  My husband quit when our little boy was born.  I was so proud of him.  I would bet money he's had a dip now and then but I know he's been a good boy.  It would do any of us any good to hound him.

Another thing he uses that really helps [his words, I have no idea] is Smokey Mountain Fake Snuff.  He says its the best.  He quit almost 7 years ago but he still chews the Smokey Mountain.  I even buy it for him.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know that they are doing studies right now with nicotine as an ADHD treatment.  Apparently, it has a stimulant effect on the brain similar to some of the medications that are used.  

I know that when I really need to concentrate on what I am reading or writing I always work better and faster when I have a smoke or a dip.  In fact, after I was diagnosed with ADHD after law school  I realized that this pattern of smoking while writing in college and law school was one of my ways of self-medicating and compensating for my screwed up brain chemistry.  The other usually involved the use of an ephedrine based sports supplement.

Luckily, I never got into the harder and illegal methods that utilized by some people.

SBG  

I have ADHD though growing up my parents refused to put me on ritalin.  I started dipping my Junior year in college during the 2 months of forestry spring camp.  It helped me stay awake in the mornings when I was up a 5am, helped me stay motivated when working in rain and lousy weather.  Now it helps me stay alert when driving.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would strongly suggest just using the patch and telling the girlfriend that you've had some weaknesses and you want to be strong.  If she's worth her weight in salt [which I bet she is and more] she'll be supportive.  Quitting is very difficult.  My husband quit when our little boy was born.  I was so proud of him.  I would bet money he's had a dip now and then but I know he's been a good boy.  It would do any of us any good to hound him.

Another thing he uses that really helps [his words, I have no idea] is Smokey Mountain Fake Snuff.  He says its the best.  He quit almost 7 years ago but he still chews the Smokey Mountain.  I even buy it for him.

WHere do I get Smokey Mounain?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHere do I get Smokey Mounain?

I would give a big +1 to what Patty has suggested.  

I hate to admit it, but my lying about my smoking ultimately drove a wedge into my marriage.  It did not cause the divorce, but it definately generated a trust issue that led to emotional distance and ultimately divorce.

SBG
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SBG  

I know a doctor who has extensively interviewed around 12,000 people on their "recreational" drug use habits -- like this one. He says he has come to the conclusion that a great deal of regular adult drug use (alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs included) is really self-medication for one reason or another, like you have described.  You used it as a stimulant, other people use drugs as tranquilizers. Like the guy who enjoys a beer to relax after work, etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I buy Smokey Mountain at Wal-Mart.  Hang oN I'll do a web search and show you what it looks like.  The stuff is completely natural but you still have to be 18 to buy it.  Go figure.

*ETA* Here's some info: The hubby uses the Natural and the Wintergreen CLICK HERE

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Well guys starting now-no more dipping.  Just cleaned out my truck and threw away my 2 cans of copenhagan.  I am going to do this cold turkey.  I will post everyday in this thread my progress.  I WILL DO IT.  If I stumble I want y'all to call me a weak dumbass and give me every insult in the book if I chew.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well guys starting now-no more dipping.  Just cleaned out my truck and threw away my 2 cans of copenhagan.  I am going to do this cold turkey.  I will post everyday in this thread my progress.  I WILL DO IT.  If I stumble I want y'all to call me a weak dumbass and give me every insult in the book if I chew.

We were going to do that anyway, dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We were going to do that anyway, dumbass.

Don't hold back!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#21]
quiter

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
quiter

MLW>"<

That isn't the insperation I was looking for.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Do..or do not.  There is no try."

HH
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:52:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Today is day #4 with no dip...........
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#25]
To paraphrase George Carlin, like all addictive substances nicotine turns you into a new man.

And the first thing that new man wants is... ...a little more nicotine!

Congrats to anyone who quits and manages to stay off the stuff!

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look what cigars did to Sigmund Freud......

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10007

Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis, was rarely photographed without a cigar in his hand. Freud developed leukoplakia, a white patch, in his mouth and then cancer of the soft palate.

And then he died.

ETA: " Freud died of oral cancer in 1939, at the age of eighty-three. The last fifteen years of his life were a series of nicotine withdrawal symptoms, heart palpitations, painful, dangerous surgeries, and the replacement of most of his jaw with painful, inefficient substitutes.

He smoked until the end."

Have you buddy read this article

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
that's pretty funny, I just quit recently as well. December 7th, 2005, a day that will live in infamy.

I've had no problems quitting cold turkey, no cravings, etc. I'm usually just a social smoker so as long as my buddy isn't trying to drag me outside for a smoke every 90 minutes then I have no problem. What allowed me to quit this time was that he decided to quit too.

The first time I quit when I graduated college. I went for three months without so much as a thought. But then when I was doing some training, over 50% of the people would take smoke breaks every hour and so I started again for the social aspect. But this time I think I'm good to go permanantly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Patch worked great for me. Most of the physical cravings (which peak on day 3-4 for smokers, IIRC) pass within 2 weeks, the psychological cravings can take a lot longer (stay away from activities and places you associate with tobacco usage for a few months) after 6 months to a year, you can pretty much resume all activities without the associative hankerings.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The first time I quit smoking it was like that for a week or so. My head was "cloudy" feeling, now if I go a long time without smoking I get that way until I smoke a cigarette and it goes away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Patch worked great for me. Most of the physical cravings (which peak on day 3-4 for smokers, IIRC) pass within 2 weeks, the psychological cravings can take a lot longer (stay away from activities and places you associate with tobacco usage for a few months) after 6 months to a year, you can pretty much resume all activities without the associative hankerings.

Good luck.

Well then that means no work, shooting, hunting, fishing, golfing or drinking.  Today I wanted a dip pretty bad and I know tomorrow is going to be worse.  Hopefully it will be a lot easier by the time the weekend gets here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#31]
The 1st rule of Quit Club is:

The cravings will pass!!!!!

2nd rule of quit club:

Find a healthy activity to substitute for the bad one.

I went through A LOT of gum when I quit smoking.

great tips here:

www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=22931

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Well then that means no work, shooting, hunting, fishing, golfing or drinking.  Today I wanted a dip pretty bad and I know tomorrow is going to be worse.  Hopefully it will be a lot easier by the time the weekend gets here.

Biggest thing for me was staying away from friends who drank (beer & smokes really went well together) - tougher was driving, but kept other stuff handy (bag of pretzels, candy etc) to get past a "light up moment"

Having the obligatory cigarette after sex was cured by simply turning on the light afterwards and fleeing in terror.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Try the patch.

They work, if you want them to.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Biggest thing for me was staying away from friends who drank (beer & smokes really went well together) - tougher was driving, but kept other stuff handy (bag of pretzels, candy etc) to get past a "light up moment"

Having the obligatory cigarette after sex was cured by simply turning on the light afterwards and fleeing in terror.

Keep in mind I not smoking it is the Redman and Copenhagen that I use.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Try the patch.

They work, if you want them to.

I have found that deer jerky and blow pops were well and give me something to fiddle with that doesn't involve tobacco.  Hopefully by the end of the week the cravings will end.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Keep in mind I not smoking it is the Redman and Copenhagen that I use.

So did she.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Day 5.

Today is going to be the hardest, everytime I have quit or tried it was rough getting over the 5 day hump.  Since yesterday afternoon, I have been iritable  though I am trying my best not to show it.  Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.  I am committed not to dip though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#38]
VTHOKIESHOOTER: I wish you well on your way to quite dipping.  Tobacco products in Calif have a 100% tax, so a pack of cigarettes is up to somewhere around $5.  After you get over your addiction you should hopefully have extra $$ for some "loud and noisy toys."
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER: I wish you well on your way to quite dipping.  Tobacco products in Calif have a 100% tax, so a pack of cigarettes is up to somewhere around $5.  After you get over your addiction you should hopefully have extra $$ for some "loud and noisy toys."

A can of copenhagen costs $4 and a pouch of Redman costs about $3.  I was going through a package about every 4-7 days.  I should save enough to buy a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A can of copenhagen costs $4 and a pouch of Redman costs about $3.  I was going through a package about every 4-7 days.  I should save enough to buy a case of ammo.

The last time I bought chew, to send to some soidiers I inquired at the local Wall-Mart and it was $5/can or close to it.  I ended up buying the stuff with a fellow boardember in AZ.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Good Job!  You have to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Keep it up man...The stuff is nasty. I chewed for about 7 years and quit about 10 years ago when my wife became pregnant with first child.

It was tough the first week or so especially after a meal or it was outside...It does get better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#43]

You think your a looker now, wait until you get cancer from the chew.

Keep off the shit or look like that above.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Sweet mother of God. If that doesn't stop the cravings than nothing will. I bet that guy doesn't get no pie for dessert...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
www.tobaccofacts.org/photos/mouth_cancer2.jpg
You think your a looker now, wait until you get cancer from the chew.

Keep off the shit or look like that above.

Good god! Yeah that pretty much got rid of the cravings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#46]
VT, I used to use on an ocasional basis, but now limit my smoking to cigars, and only on very special occasions, (like the coming finish of finals, or the TX machine gun shoot) and only like 3-4 a year.

this may help you quit. be strong bro!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#47]
I found (w/ smoking) that the cravings drop off after day 3.

Are you working out at all??

Focus on the benefits...... If you don't dip- you have extra money for ammo!!!!

Do anything...just don't dip.

Simple as that.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#48]
You'd think those guys in the pics would have quit and gotten medical attention before the tumors got that big.  They must be on an HMO.

Now for the serious part:

I've been dipping Copenhagen for the past 25 years (since high school) with no ill effects - so far. My dentist knows I dip (he doesn't like it) and gives me a thorough lip and gum exam every six months.  The only thing is a little thinning of the gums in the front where I used to put the pinch.  Now I just move it from side to side.

I always said that I would quit when a can reached $2.00, then it was $3, and then it was $4.  When it got to $5.00/can a few weeks ago, I swore I was going to quit and stopped going the Kwickie-Mart for my fix.  Then I learned something:  Wal-Mart sells Copenhagen by the sleeve!  Buy in bulk and save money.

I read somewhere dipping is more addictive than heroin.  I did quit for 6 months a few years ago - a New Year's Resolution…but then I just took up smoking.  During one particularly bad day in June (my brother had a heart attack) I went back to the Cope.  When I try to quit cold turkey I get VERY irritable and cranky - so much so that the wife has actually left the house, unbeknownst to me, and brought a can home.

I know I need to quit but I am weak and, before this thread, I did not have the willpower

I guess, as with all addictions, admitting you have a problem is the first step.  So I am coming out to you all here today, stepping up to the plate and making my stand here and now.  My name is FLGreg and I AM A COPE ADDICT!!!

I'm with you VTHOKIESHOOTER.  I just threw away my last 2 cans & spittoon that sat on my desk for years and I am getting on the wagon with you today.  RIGHT NOW!

I can do this.  Hell, I kicked my carbohydrate addiction just before Halloween and have dropped more than 20lbs so far.  If I can give up Little Debbie Swiss Cakes I can do this.

Sorry to ramble on but I’ve had an epiphany here.  I am a changed man.  It’s a Festivus Miracle!

------------------------------------

After work, I am going to the pharmacy before “the Jonesing” starts.  What do you all recommend?  The Patch or the Gum?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Patch for the nicotine craving

and (regular) gum for the oral fixation
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#50]
HOKIE, HOKIE, HOKIE HIGH, TECH, TECH, VPI, SOLOREX, SOLORAH, TECH, TECH, VPI.

You need to quit a little at a time. You will notice that when you get the craving, if you just relax and let that short period of time lapse, the craving will go away...until the next craving. You will find that you are on a schedule to dip, regulated by your brain. It automatically fires off a  regular message for you to dip. When you dip, the craving is satisfied, until next time. If you do not dip, the brain will quit firing off that message  after a short period anyway. It is during that short period you need to quit and then enjoy the time between the cravings. Every time you ignore the craving you are withdrawing, and your brain will begin to change the period of time between cravings. Eventually you will recognize the craving, and know that you can ignore it for a short time, and be confident you will survive it. I quit smoking 2 packs a day 25 years ago using this method, and it worked for me, and lots of people that try this.

Good luck hokie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top