Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 5:53:17 PM EDT
Made my 9,000th skydive today.
Never been hurt worse than a pulled muscle.[8D]
I have lots of accomplishments in my 21 years in the sport but my biggest by far is how safe I've been.
I bought beer at the bar tonite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck on your first. Be carefull, its addictive. The "crack" of sports.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!

BTW, did you mean 900? 9,000 dives in 21 years is more than a jump a day, every day.... or did I misunderstand.

Or are you an instructor with multiple jumps per day?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Nine Thousand is the correct number.
I am a professional skydiver and I make about a thousand jumps a year.
I have been making my living as a skydiver for over five years.
[url]www.skydivecity.com[/url]
Check me out on the staff page.
I'm the long haired blonde guy who's really good looking.
BP
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Ropes4u and lordtrader are trying to get me to jump out of a plane.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You have a good reason not to?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nine Thousand is the correct number.
I am a professional skydiver and I make about a thousand jumps a year.
I have been making my living as a skydiver for over five years.
[url]www.skydivecity.com[/url]
Check me out on the staff page.
I'm the long haired blonde guy who's really good looking.
BP
View Quote

Now that is one hell of a moustache![;D]

After that many jumps you should have learned to fly by now! Grats!

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the thrill===== the fall, or the relief at cheating the reaper when the chute deploys ? I think it is like riding a motorcycle, do it long enough and your going to fall, your mistake or not. Oh yeah, the reason I posted any injuries in the 9000 jumps??????????????
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm probably wrong, but that adds up to about 80hrs of freefall time.  

Congratulation.[beer]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Cy, the thrill is in a lot of things.
When you jump from an airplane you are dead....until you do something to prevent it. Thats definitely a rush. It keeps me going.
Freefall is a wild and different place that you have never been. I cant explain it to you but if you ever experience it you will understand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, I just recently passed 132 hours of freefall time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You have a good reason not to?
View Quote

Maybe Gravity and the splatter affect!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
This you?

[img]http://www.skydivecity.com/images/staff/billyporter.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Cy, check my first post.
Nothing worse than a pulled muscle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
i've said it before in one of your threads, and i'll say it again.................

it'll be a cold day in hell before anybody gets me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane

that being said, damn sad i missed the buying of beer............[;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My cyphering says 1,000 jumps per year@21 years=21,000 jumps!  

Good show!   Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cy, check my first post.
Nothing worse than a pulled muscle.
View Quote
Brother, pick some lotto numbers for me. IM them to me 6 numbers from 1-46 I'll split
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Its a tradition in skydiving. The buying of beer.
Any "first" accomplishment or significant milestone requires the purchase of a case of beer so your fellow skydivers can toast your accomplishment.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Would love to try it someday....but got to get over my fear of heights!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#23]
BobbyJ
If you read the post it says I have been a professional skydiver for 5 years. Thats 5000 jumps @ 1000 per year. The previous 16 years I did 4000 jumps=250 per year.
I dont pad my logbook. If you would like a list of my accomplishments in the sport, I will IM you. Have you ever jumped?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BobbyJ
If you read the post it says I have been a professional skydiver for 5 years. Thats 5000 jumps @ 1000 per year. The previous 16 years I did 4000 jumps=250 per year.
I dont pad my logbook. If you would like a list of my accomplishments in the sport, I will IM you. Have you ever jumped?
View Quote

No sir I can read them right here,and I'm like TexRedneck on this one(I sure ain't gonna jump out of a perfectly good plane,train,or auto)less need be!

I've worked a lot of rank cattle,bulls and such but I damn sure wouldn't ever get out in front of one with a damn table cloth!  

Hats off to you ,beer on me!

Bob[:D]   [beer]    [BOOZE]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome and congratulations.

I've only gone once myself.

I'd like to repeat.

Sadly I read in the paper a few years back that the company in central Texas I jumped with are all dead now - plane crash, no jokes please - they were good ladies and lads, full of life.  [:(]

-Lazy
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Captainpooby,

Congrats on your accompishments,I got into skydiving several years ago and made about 50 jumps one summer, had to give it up due to failing health and lack-o-money!!

Just wanted to add for those who haven't experieced it but want to try, DO IT, it was the most fun I ever had!! Was better than any sex I've ever had, before or since!! I never felt more alive than when falling through the air. The RUSH cannot be explained, only experienced. Take care, keep your 'wings' clean and untangled!...........AZMAN [8D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I toast to your milestone [beer].

I also raise a glass to those who have pasted enjoying the sport [beer]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]
captainpooby,

Congratulations on your milestone!

I've done only three static line jumps from 3500 feet.  Very cool, an incredible rush.

However, my landings kept getting worse:

Jump 1: Landed on my feet.
Jump 2: Landed on my feet, then knees.
Jump 3: Landed on my feet, knees, then chin.

I figured someone was telling me that I'd done enough "jumping out of perfectly good airplanes", so that was the end of it [;)]

You have to tell us when you're buying the beer for jump # 10,000.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Next time I buy beer will prolly be for my 2000th tandem jump. It should happen in a couple months.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I would prefer the beer BEFORE the jump. That way, if the backup fails as well, it won't hurt as much.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
for you guys who say you won't jump out of perfectly good airplanes, I have a question:  what about helicopters?  blackhawks and chinooks are jumpable.

what about balloons?  the royal thai army jumps balloons, and you can sometimes get in on a jump with them through groups like friendship airborne

as yet, I've never done any freefall jumps.  but as soon as I can afford it, I plan to get my A license through an AFF training program.  ideally, I'd go visit captainpooby and get the training there.  but that's even more expensive [:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats Captain!
You must be good at this to have done it so many times and lived. [:D]
Got a jump joke for ya.

The First Jump...

A young man joins the army and signs up with the paratroopers. He goes through basic training fine, and volunteers for Airborne School. He completes all the physical training, PLF (parachute landing fall) exercises, jumps successfully out of the 34-foot tower, and goes on to make his decent from the 250-foot tower, and finally builds up to his first real jump from a plane.

The next day he phones his dad to tell him the news

"So did you jump?" asks dad.

"Well let me tell you what happened," the lad explains.

We were assigned to "sticks" (units of men that jump as a group, although individually on the first jump).

We got in the plane and the sergeant stood the first stick up, and everyone checked their equipment. He took the 1st stick, had them "hook-up" and moved them to the door. The 1st stick exited without any problem, although there were a couple that looked a little green before they left the door. As each stick stood up and hooked-up (hooked their static line to the anchor line cable), the sticks moved towards the door as we had been trained. As things moved along however, several individuals were beginning to have second thoughts. The sergeant told the hesitant fledgling paratroopers to "unhook" and step to the rear of the plane for a pep-talk. When all the students who were willing to jump had exited the aircraft, the sergeant went back and gave us a rousing speech. Several of the other guys decided to jump, went to the door and jumped out.

"Is that when you jumped?" asks dad.

Um, not yet... Then the sergeant started to grab the other men one at a time and throw them out the door.'

"Did you jump then?" asks dad.

I'm getting to that. Everyone else had jumped and I was the last man left. He tried to push me out but I grabbed onto the door and refused to go. Finally he called over the jump master - a great big guy, about six-foot five and 300 pounds.

He said to me, "Boy, are you going to jump or not?"

I said, "No sir, I'm too scared!" The six-foot five, 300 pound jumpmaster unzipped his fly exposing himself, and said, "Boy, either you jump out of that door or I'm sticking this up your @$$."

"So did you jump?", asks dad.

"Well a little, at first."
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's one for you Hanna.

Plane load of Airborne soldiers on their first jump.
The same Sgt yells:
STAND UP!
HOOK UP!
CHECK EQUIPMENT!
The green light comes on and he screams:
NOW ALL YOU C***SUCKERS GET OUT OF THE PLANE!!!!
Everyone jumps except one guy and the Sgt. walks up to him and screams:
WHAT THE F##K ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE SOLDIER??
The soldier says to the Sgt:
"Sure was a lot of c***suckers on this airplane huh Sarge?"
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's one for you Hanna.

Plane load of Airborne soldiers on their first jump.
The same Sgt yells:
STAND UP!
HOOK UP!
CHECK EQUIPMENT!
The green light comes on and he screams:
NOW ALL YOU C***SUCKERS GET OUT OF THE PLANE!!!!
Everyone jumps except one guy and the Sgt. walks up to him and screams:
WHAT THE F##K ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE SOLDIER??
The soldier says to the Sgt:
"Sure was a lot of c***suckers on this airplane huh Sarge?"
View Quote
[lol]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#36]
hehehehehe [:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I only did a static jump once. Now, with a wife and child, and me being the bread winner for the family....I know it's safe, but I don't want to chance being more infamous than ComputerGuy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#38]
9000 jumps is what?  Octa Diamond Wings?
132 hrs free fall =  Hex Diamond Free fall badge?
2000 tandems = Diamond Tamdem Wings?

Keep up the good work.

Just one jump for me, but lots of hours drivng the bus.  

Ben, The(JumpPilot)Emu
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have lots of accomplishments in my 21 years in the sport but my biggest by far is how safe I've been.
View Quote

Ok.  I mean, I don't considering jumping out of an airplane to be an inherrently safe thing to do, but ok [:)]

I've always wanted to do it, but I think if the fall didn't kill me, my girlfriend would shortly afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Octa Diamond wings
Ruby Freefall badge
No award for tandems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top