Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 4:44:20 PM EDT
I know I will get ranked on for this one, but I will ask anyways.  I already have a fine Remington 700 in .308 with an 18" barrel threaded for a M/B, shortened from a 26" PSS, H-S PST 59 stock, not the Remington LTR, H-S TG & mags, Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 triangle BAC.  I am thinking of using this rifle to mount a suppressor, and getting the Scout for general shooting, screwing around, and hunting.  I am a police officer, not a sniper, and neither will be in the trunk of my car.  I want to mount a scope, another Accupoint, in the standard location on the Scout.  I plan on getting the ten round kit and maybe the shell holder on the stock.  The Scout is what it is, a lighter rifle that can fit the bill.  I aslo honestly like the feel of the bolt and safety better than the 700.  From those that own/shoot the Scout, what are your feelings about it?  Have you had any big problems?  What do you like the best?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Styer Scout is a great rifle for the Wimmins
of the world!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Aren't they like $2800? Buy 4 LEGP's and you'll still have $$$$ left for ammo.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think any bolt gun is worth that much.
An M1A Scout is half the price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything I've heard about the Scout has been good. They are big bucks though. The guy that I bought my SBS from uses the Scout to hunt deer and he said it perfectly fit his needs. Light, short and a natural pointer. He had no problems nailing a buck at about 320 yards, a one shot instant kill. I like the Safe Bolt System better too, along with that gigantor cocking handle. The extra mag holder and built in tripod is pretty cool too.

http://www.remtek.com/arms/steyr/scout/scout.htm

I am not sure about the mount though. You might have to buy a expensive set of European, picatinny?, mounts and rings. I think that the SBS is the only Steyr that uses common A-bolt rings and mounts?

The mags are bucks too, about $90.00 for the 10 rounders. Although I think that the Scout comes with two and comes with the adapter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
SS109,

I understand the knee-jerk response.....but I hope you find a bolt gun that "da-da-damn, I gotta have that one" burns in your veins.

For me, it would be the M40A1 that I carried and "got to keep" in the school's armory during the period that I taught.  

Dave S

I think I'll go downstairs and check on my AR-10s...... [:D]

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one a few years ago, and got a good deal on it....something like $1700 for the gun and forward mounted scope. I have the 10 round extention and magz too.
I probably wouldn't pay retail for it.... too expensive for that kind of money...
It also kicks like a mule....harder than a Steyr PIIK, or any of my 308 guns. Ive mounted a regular scope on it once...and it knocks me in the nose! I guess the light stock and barrel doesn't help in recoil reduction. When my buddies shoot it, the first thing they say is....Owww.
On the positive side.... I love it! It is really accurate even with this low power scope...sub MOA is true.  Very light and I like the feel of the stock, and design of everything. Really unique design. The trigger is great too....very light....maybe around 3 or 4lb....can't remember exactly but its great.
I was thinking of buying the .223 version...but the price is just stoping me.
Overall, Im happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO the Scout is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I have built a few pseudo-scouts & find them a novelty at best. They are too light to control recoil. The magnification on the scope is miniscule. I have since gone back to the conventional setup. I reccomend you get an enfield or Mauser setup as a scout prior to blowing a bunch of money now. If it works for you, then buy the Scout.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KQAAAD4OXyOdFLmjXQ014Uqm04CCPOaRU!9vBNB9jqUvhEDHp*7pbU77av48LuCddbgBZDFlreE/scout2.jpg[/img]

11FL Savage-238.00/mount 42.00/leupold qd rings-40.00=320.00    6 1/2lbs loaded empty chamber with nylon sling.

I love the scout rifle but would not pay that much for a Steyr.Also built one on a 308 2A Enfield have abot 150 in that one including Leupold scope
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want to mount a low power EER scope in a "Scout" position.  I don't want a sporterized or scouterized 90 year old military rifle.  If I could pick and choose the features on the rifle I would drop the full length rail.  I want the ten round capacity and spare magazine storage.  I like the drop position of the magazine, fire single shots and still have twenty rounds loaded.  The bipod I could take or leave.  I prefer the butter knife handle, I have no need for a 1" knob on the bolt.  I wish the spare magazine was available on the Tactical carbine(20" standard or 20" HB).  That would be about what I want.  People say it is a rip off for a $1700 rifle, even though it offers features no other manufacturer offers, but people fight over a $1700 Colt GC, that sold for $500 new.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
SOMEONE WHO OWNS ONE... I first bought the Scout because it was a unique rifle that was as utilitarian as rifles get. I've done the bolt action rigmarole and I must say this rifle is made extremely well and does what they advertise. It is extremely acurate, easily carried without thinking about it, and has all the accessories built right into; including iron sights. The only down side to the rifle is price. But, you already know this. You won't be disapointed if you do one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it is a very nice rifle.  Being something like 6.5# it does have noticeable recoil, but the relatively straight stock makes it bearable.  My friend on the other hand has a Browning lever action in .308 which weighs about the same, and the recoil is much more annoying.  The trigger is super nice, light with a clean break.  And that stupid looking forward mounted scope is surprisingly effective, you can even shoot with both eyes open.
All in all a pretty neat gun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I've shot a Steyer Scout and I own an SBS Pro Hunter in .308.  The rifle is real light and kicks every bit as hard as my 7mm mag.  Shoots very well though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top