BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 7:31:27 AM EDT
I know all the tech, what I want to know is:

- Reliability (Function?)
- Reliability (parts breakage?)
- Cost? (Exc, with all accs)

If you have any first hand or reliable second hand information, I'd love to hear it.

PS: I know about the Rogak!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Me too, actually.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The Steyr GB is an interesting pistol - the unlocked breech, straight blow back, gas retarded action is truly odd.  (I believe the H&K P7 is the only other pistol to ever use it.)

It was fun to shoot back in the days when all my friends fired 7-shot 1911s and heads at the range would turn as I fired 18 rounds without reloading.  But now any garden variety Glock can just about match that and seems common these days.

It doesn't really point well, the trigger is horrible, and the safety is almost unusable unless you have thumbs like a gorilla.  And when you can find magazines and parts, be prepared to pay dearly for them!!

So if you're looking for a Wonder Nine or a shootable pistol, keep looking.  But if you want a unique, albeit not very practical, pistol just to have fun with and say you own one, go ahead.  I keep mine in the safe next to my H&K VP70Z.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know all the tech, what I want to know is:

- Reliability (Function?)
- Reliability (parts breakage?)
- Cost? (Exc, with all accs)

If you have any first hand or reliable second hand information, I'd love to hear it.

PS: I know about the Rogak!
View Quote

Rogak is junk in S/S - but pretty (I've one in a safe somewhere) - but the GB is a real pistol!

I've thousands and thousands of rounds through a couple GB's - shot one & two pistol combat ranges, sims, all sorts.  Shot them until they were too hot for anyone else to be willing to even pick them up, much less shoot them.

Finished one similation with a wrecked barrel when a Squib left a bullet in the bore which I unwittingly shot out.  The pistol had lost the extractor as well around that stage and was way too hot to handle (I had gone through just under 1000 rounds that session - rotating 12 mags weakhand/strong hand....)

GSI fixed it up without problems -  would have trashed a mere mortal of a pistol!

Sort of a run down:

Price - varies alot from folk who think they have the Holy Grail to Glock numbers.  Spare mags can be pricy.

A classic line of BS - lots of so called NIB unfired pistols seem to come up for offer - they shipped usually new with factory target and almost all actually show signs of being fired more than that.

Variations - lots! With/Without safeties, spur hammers or bobbed/rounded hammers, blued, blackened, parkerized finishes, the so called "Military Model" (Parkerized USA version), Austrian Police Versions, variations on import stampings... and so on.  Rare SAO version.

Sought after 'factory' accessories - the look cool but doesn't do much snap-on compensated nose piece often fetches 2/3rd's what a pistol will command in price.  Though a neat accessory a GB doesn't need one per say.

Spares situation - GSI said that I had the last new parts barrel here - grip screws (an odd sized head) have long been out of stock - the rest seems obtainable.

Accuracy - I've never failed to qualify and qualify well with any of my Steyr-GB's  Grip shape and size fits a full sized hand well indeed.  Longish sight radius promotes accuracy.  These are not Bullseye Pistols, but will outshoot 95% of service/carry out there.  On a par with a good P7.

Size - these are full sized pistols and holsters and concealed carry are issues.  Think of a 1911 bulk and you have the idea of the class they are in (I think in some dimensions they are actually bigger).

I will beg to differ with Steel_Rat's opinion, in that the Steyr-GB is a viable and practical choice, one still made by professionals worldwide.  Heads and shoulders above a VP70Z (mine stays in the safe too....)  In honesty I can't think of a finer 9mm I'd carry, and I do have HK P7M8, P7M13, USP, Walters, ..... and so on in the safes as well.

If I could only have one in 45acp - that would be ideal!

regards,

Clipper

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought this was gonna be about SteyrAug and GoatBoy.
View Quote

me to0, and now i am confused.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]

First a GB with Compensator installed:

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_001.JPG[/image]

The Rogak P-18 Illinois built Model:

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_008.JPG[/image]

Civilian Standard Model as Supplied New:

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_010.JPG[/image]

Less Common 'Military Model' as Supplied New:

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_011.JPG
[/image]

regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought this was gonna be about SteyrAug and GoatBoy.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Civilian Standard Model as Supplied New:

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_011.JPG[/image]

(try again)

Also the rather uncommon 'Austrian Police Model':

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_006.JPG[/image]

regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
In case you wanted to see one field stripped (the nose pieces are interchangeable - either standard or compensated):

[image]www.correstec.com/Steyr_GB_004.JPG[/image]

regards,

Clipper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top