Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2001 7:54:22 PM EDT
Anyone own a Steyr Aug?
I think i'm gonna get an Aug next, but i'm just curious are they good or bad?
Any opinion is welcome, preferrably someone that owns one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know...he seems sort of weird to me.  

Oh the rifle...uh...never mind.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
1 Aug
3 DCM Ar's
6 FAL's
10 SAR's
60 Lorcins
all cost [green]about[/green] the same.

The answer lies somewhere in between the AUG and the Lorcins......

[img]www.web-comm.com/ar15/Mc4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I just cannot imagine they would be worth the money. Now investment wise, it might be a good pickup.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess not many people here can afford one eh?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guess not many people here can afford one eh?
View Quote

I for damn sure can't afford to buy an AUG.
But if I was going to spend that kind of $$$ on hardware, it wouldn't be on an AUG.

And that's the gospel.

[img]www.web-comm.com/ar15/Mc4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I for damn sure can't afford to buy an AUG.
But if I was going to spend that kind of $$$ on hardware, it wouldn't be on an AUG.

And that's the gospel.
View Quote

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
My preban 16 inch BLK AUG is probably the shortest legal rifle available.  Same ballistics as a 16 inch M4 but much shorter.  It does require some getting used to.   Accurate, quick change barrels, modular design. The newer ones with the roller carriers are better.  Magazines are awesome, lots of engineering went into those.  You can run over one with a truck and it will still work.  Try that with a AR mag. But you are paying upto 3 times the price for one. Leftys watch out unless you have a lefty bolt.  Spent shells smacks you right in the face.  Trigger is squishy.  Expensive! You have to try one and see for yourself.  Unlike ARs there are less than 20,000 total rifles of all configurations imported in the US.  Hence the price.  There are hundreds of thousands of ARs.  They only cost a little more than an AR to mass produce from my understanding.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one once, and thought it was prety amazing.    It never jammed while I had it and it fire one hole groups at 100 yards.

In 1990, someone broke into my house and STOLE it.  My insurance company paid me what I paid for it, which was about half of the replacement cost.  I have a safe now, and a comprehensive monitored alarm system.  I wish I hadn't learned the hard way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The AUG is a good rifle to own.  The only problem you will have is paying for the high cost of available spare parts and accessories.  Pluses: Easy to change stock color and barrel lenghts, looks cool, simple to maintain and operate, and real realiable.
Minues: Accessories: big bucks, left-handed shotist: big bucks for left-handed bolt (unless you retrain yourself to overcome the inherent bullpup layout), mounting optics: major bug bucks for special receiver.  In other words,  you will spending a lot of money on this system.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't the Australian Army have such severe problems with their AUGs that they totally ditched them?  Think it had something to do with the plastic trigger pack melting under intense full-auto fire.

Obviously in semi-auto you won't have a problem like this.  Maybe.

Get two pre-ban anything else.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Eric, actually the Aussies problems were caused by subpar production facilities. They insisted on building their AUGs in-house instead of buying them from Steyr.
I owned a green-stock 20-inch AUG for a while and they are very neat guns, probably the best bullpup made. But all bullpups have tactical limitations and given that I don't think they are worth the obscene prices they sell for nowadays.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]

I dry-fired an aug a few years ago.  the trigger pull was kinda springy...like those old zebra toy guns that shot yellow pellets.  Not crisp like an AR.  I wouldnt mind owning one though for the b*tchin factor.

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunatley the Aussie Army...(Navy and Air Force)...still issue the F88 (Australian designation for the AUG)....the present issue is so so....the first ones were crap...!!!  And it is quiet correct that this was mainly due to the local production...as a weapon it has many problems that are caused by the design...if Australian was to "do it all again" it would choose the M16 family.  A number of specialized units in the ADF issue A2's in various configurations...mostly M4's but I have seen a couple of full size A2's (all fitted with 203's).

Andy
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I only saw two countries using the AUG in Kosovo ( Summer/Fall 2000 )- the Irish and the Austrians. Everyone else had SA-80's (British), the FAMAS ( French), AK-47/AK-74/AKSU-47/RPK/SVD variants ( Ukranians), M16A3's (Norwegians), etc. The German Army of course had their own weapons and - oh by the way - the German Army ( Bundeswehr) uses Uzis NOT MP-5's. Most of the other Eurpopean countries represented there used FN/FNC variants or Kalashnikov ripoffs. I saw a few soldiers from one South American country still carrying FN-FAL's. The Irish wanted to TRADE their AUG's for my M16A2/M203 with the Knights Rail System and Beta C-Mag :) The AUG looks different, unique, exotic, and all that happy s##t but I'll stick with a properly maintained M-16 or a good M-4. Notice I say "maintained" because some maintenance people in the military "fix" weapons wrong - like put s##t in upside down. Yes - it happens.    
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
If anybody is interested I've got a little story.

It's about a guy who put in his 3-4 years in the Airforce so he could pay for college.   I met this guy on the range while out shooting, he was tagging along with a guy that owned A TON of quality firearms and one of the guns in the collection was a nice AUG, a true rarity in Ca.

Anyhow, I'm sitting there talking to the guys on the firing line and shooting the shit with them.  I find out how the guy came about his collection and how most all of it was pre1989 stuff that quite obviously he's had for many years, even a honest to god HK91.

We get off onto the subject of AR15s as that's what I own and I was trying to talk with the guy who actually owns the collection to see what he has in the way of ARs when the Airforce twerp chimes in with this nice quote: "I was in the military and I hate the M16, it's crap."   Ofcourse he was trying to come off as an expert on the matter because he had military service, man what a wise guy.  What could he have had in 3-4 years military service in the Airforce, perhaps 10-12 range exercises that ran over the use of the M16 and during requals?   This wasn't any gun buff or anything, he was a computer programmer and you can damned sure bet that was what he was in the Airforce for was some kind of networking crap.

But man, I'll tell you one thing about that guy, in his expert opinion he sure did like the AUG that the guy had out on the firing line.  He thought it was such a better design even if the AUG "donut of death" reticle was hopelessly lacking for any kind of actual precision shooting, nevermind that the AUG is kinda a goofy mook of a rifle to do a reload drill with(I liken a mag change with the AUG to a tactical deodorant application, cram the magazine into your armpit and hope you hit the mag well).

Yep, in his half hour spent on the range he was fully reaffirmed in his belief that the AR is shit but the AUG is a blessing.

Personally, I think the AUG has decent ergonomics for fast point shooting and that it is certainly comfortable to shoot, I also think it's charging handle is located in a more friendly position.  I however think the AR has better ergonomics for lightning quick magazine changes and a more familiar manual of arms, and hell it's so much cheaper for even a preban.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't run into many ex-military types who think the M-16 is shit. The only vets I've talked to who don't like it were the ones issued it in Vietnam back when it was first issued to troops over there. Can't blame them, the M-16 had it's problems back then. Most of the guys from my generation and younger I talk to  who were issued one in the service thought well of them.

I would'nt own an AR-15 if I thought they were crap. Best assault style rifle as far as carry and ergonomics I've handled (though I freely admit my experience is'nt that much). I like the fact that the AR15/M16 was a firearm concept that originated in the good ole USA. Hell, I think they just look cool(and some people call them the ugly gun).
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't run into many ex-military types who think the M-16 is shit. The only vets I've talked to who don't like it were the ones issued it in Vietnam back when it was first issued to troops over there. Can't blame them, the M-16 had it's problems back then. Most of the guys from my generation and younger I talk to  who were issued one in the service thought well of them.

I would'nt own an AR-15 if I thought they were crap. Best assault style rifle as far as carry and ergonomics I've handled (though I freely admit my experience is'nt that much). I like the fact that the AR15/M16 was a firearm concept that originated in the good ole USA. Hell, I think they just look cool(and some people call them the ugly gun).
View Quote
                                           Ran into one of my old classmates at the range, last fall, who is a usmc nam` vet...he said he recently got a sprgfld m1a..that when he was "in" is what he carried, and he was lucky because at the time he had a choice (m14  or the new "black" rifle)...he wasn`t even interested about firing my m15a2....but i insisted....he was overwhelmed, and said "gee, i forget how nice these things shoot" remember, he had nothing to do with ar`s for 30 yrs!..anyway he then says "yeah, i like it, but i didn`t hit anything" well, i was watching his shots, and i said..."here, look"...he had hit a 3" group @ 100 yrds, open sites..just low/left due to the diff in shooter....he was sold! i made sure i said..the guns have come a long way in that many years..a convert!..it`s just that the "reputation" of bad m16`s has carried with a lot of veterans and told over and over to the point that it still exists rather strong....another vet i work with, same age, same "choice" senario, has a similar attitude...he, however, states ideas that totally are not correct...it`s because he has no knowlege of ar`s either..he does say correct statements about m14`s,since that`s what he used...hey, if i saw my buddies struggling with a bad rifle, i know I would hate them...forever...fortunately (i guess) i did not have to experience it.....[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Needless to say, I own AUGs. I have never had a feed problem, or any failure for that matter. Of course MY ARs never jam either. The AUG is a wonderful weapon with MANY very nice features.

That said it is NOT the ultimate wondertool for every job. I have arms that can be employed faster, are more accurate and costs less. That does not however make the AUG a "bad" gun.

The problem with AUGs is the price implies it is a better gun and this is NOT true. Like the SIG 550, fewer numbers were imported prior to 1989 when compared to HKs, FALs, etc. The SIG 550 is a great gun, but not worth 9K. The reason it costs 9K is because of George Bush. So keep in mind price does not equal performance, but usually availability.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw one come apart on the range at a national 3-gun match.  It was my buddy's.  Bolt parts just came flying out through the ejection port.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree that owning an AUG seems to be mostly a novelty.

I once had the opportunity to try one out. It felt unbalanced and generally akward. Maybe those things are eventually overcome, but it didn't feel as natural in my hands as the M16/AR15 initially did and still does. I wasn't any more impressed with the AUG mags than good USGI M16 mags and while firing the AUG I experienced a double feed and a failure to eject.

All in all, I don't think the AUG is a bad gun, but I do not consider it to be any better than an AR15 and certainly not worth the extreme difference in price. Add to that the cost and availability of magazines and spare parts and the AR becomes even more favorable.

I think many people confuse price with worth when discussing the AUG. I'm not so sure that it's so much a matter of few people here being able to afford an AUG as it is that most people simply see that there really is little value to be had in buying an AUG at current prices, the extra money buys you virtually nothing over an AR15, and for the cost-conscious the money is far better spent in other manners. If I had money to burn or the AUG cost about the same as a post ban AR15, I would probably own one, but given my own meager 6 digit income and the current cost of AUGs, I don't see myself owning one anytime soon. They are simply not worth 4-5 post ban ARs, 3 pre-ban Colt ARs, a pre-ban FAL and a pre-ban AR, a scoped M1A and a pre-ban AR, or a virtual plethora of other combinations for the same amount of money. If I were to dump that much money into any single gun, it would be towards a full auto or a .50 BMG rifle. If your financial picture or priorities are different, more power to you. I don't think you will be disappointed or poorly served with an AUG, but for those of us who pay a bit more attention to where our hard earned dollars go, at the very least the AR15 equals (and often exceeds, in my hunble opinion) the AUG in performance and without question stands head and shoulders above the it in terms of value and availability of spare parts and magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top