Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2011 2:03:23 AM EDT
Has anyone tried using stevia to sweeten their wines or ciders? I'm kind of new to all of this but according to the wiki page on it, it's non-fermentable so that should be good to go right?

I've read about people experiencing off flavors with Splenda after some time aging plus I have a shitload of this stevia stuff on hand so I may just end up experimenting

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't used it, but I'm about to use Splenda (possibly) on 3 gallons of cider (1/2 the batch).  Maybe we can both experiment and report?
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
That works for me, will do
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Well it turned out pretty good and everyone seems to like it.

I used a bit too much though, the mead tastes similar to a wine cooler but I guess lesson learned and it was just a gallon anyway
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
How much did you use per gallon?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Note:  I have tried to back sweeten apfelwein with several different unnatural sweeteners.  I do not like any of them.  They all have that fake sweetener taste to them.  

To me the only thing to do is add real sugar.  You could make up a bottle of simple syrup and sweeten it in the glass.  Some even use some sort of sweet soda of the lemon lime variety to sweeten apple ciders.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Note:  I have tried to back sweeten apfelwein with several different unnatural sweeteners.  I do not like any of them.  They all have that fake sweetener taste to them.  

To me the only thing to do is add real sugar.  You could make up a bottle of simple syrup and sweeten it in the glass.  Some even use some sort of sweet soda of the lemon lime variety to sweeten apple ciders.  

One of my most delicious creations is regular apfelwein (made with apple juice) topped off with cider.

Around 3-4 oz of cider of a 12 oz bottle of apfelwein seems to be right. It's so delicious.

Edit to say: However, in the future, I am going to try priming with corn sugar, sweetening with honey, waiting a few days for carbonation, and then pasteurizing to keep the sweetness without making bottle bombs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How much did you use per gallon?

The guy at my local HBS said I should use around 4 to 6 ounces per gallon. It was a bit much for me but just about all my friends that tried it loved it......but they're also Natty drinking ingrates for the most part

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Sugar by the 25lb bag at SAM's club FTW!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top