Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2004 2:32:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:38:24 AM EST
nah...cant say that i was TJ...but i can remember as a child...my father and all of his buddies being REALLY into their stereos. back when everything had a knob instead of a button, it was all seperate pieces, i.e. amp, rcvr, turntable, tapedeck, etc. and it was all heavier than chit!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:57:06 AM EST
Bang and Bose.
and,damn I'm aging myself....
remote control.

the stuff you 'kids' take for granted,hehehe.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:48:16 PM EST
I remember the guys in the barracks who PCS'd from Germany (83-85 timeframe) who always had these big rockin stereo's they got over there when the Dueschte Mark was like 3.5 to the dollar. and a few had reel to reel machines. those guys REALLY got into their music. I was to busy drinkin and hittin the strip joints to blow on that. Now with the techhnology the way it is, I think I made a wise invstement...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:03:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:54:36 PM EST
A buddy of mine had the blue faced Marantz. He used it as an alarm clock. I remember waking up to that blue faced bitch every morning for a year and three months. It sure was quiet after he DEROS'd.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:48:59 PM EST
Dad had a pretty nice (for 1969-70) system when he was in. I need to go check it out (brought it back with him from Da Nang & says it's mine whenever I want it). Reel to reel (dual head IIRC), tuner/amp, speakers, etc. He also has a ton of reels he recorded & quite a few albums (Iron Butterfly on reel!).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:15:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:25:37 PM EST
These days, Joe's taste (or lack of) in music usually means high quality sound is not as important as volume and "boom."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:59:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 2:59:57 PM EST by StykUrHedUp]

Originally Posted By Adam_White:
These days, Joe's taste (or lack of) in music usually means high quality sound is not as important as volume and "boom."

WERD
it does seem to have gone military wide hasnt it? it baffles me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:15:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:41:08 PM EST
Sorta old thread, but what the heck!

I was a “wannabee” stereophyle in the service.

I never got around (or maybe didn’t have the money) for a receiver.

I did get an Akai reel-to-reel tape recorder with built-in amplifier. It had small speakers build into the cabinet sides and weighed something like 60 pounds!

I also got a cheap set of Akai headphones, which had tone control knobs on either side that never seemed to do anything. I finally took the headphones apart and found that the knobs were dummies!

I got a set of bookshelf speakers made by Pioneer. (And I’ve heard better sound out of clock-radios!!)

I also got a Garrard Syncro-Lab 95 record changer which, being British-made, obviously never worked properly. (This was my cheap lesson regarding the quality of British-made goods; my more expensive lesson was learned from a 69 MGB Roadster that I bought at about the same time!)

IIRC, I got the electronic stuff mail order from Pacex (or something like that) in Japan.

(I got the MGB through Nement in New York City.)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:33:33 AM EST
Top Top