Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 6:48:47 AM EDT
It's a free board game originally by SSI, taken over by Matrix.  A new release 8.2 and a good game, give it a try.

www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
i loved steel panther - thanks for the heads-up.
mp
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thx, Chaingun
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my all time favorite games...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
There is also SPWW2 (Steel Panthers World War 2) and SPMBT (Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank)
which is a continuation by a private group of Steel Panthers 2.

This is the link to their site: SPCAMO

SPWW2 is combat from the late 1920s thru late 1945/early 1946.
SPMBT is combat from 1945 up to projected 2020 timeframe.

I'm not a code developer, but I've done some work on the icons (game vehicles) and the Order Of
Battle for several countries.

I haven't played SP:WAW, as it's something like 425 Megs, and I have dial-up at home, so I'd have
to download it at my wife's work, then burn to CD. (No can do with a CD burn at my work, unless I
want to be working at McD's next week)!

I think SP:WAW is based on SP3, which was platoon-level units, while SP2 was individual unit based. (More or less.) Good game!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Steel Panther's I and II was one of my favorites. 3D lost something so I'm hoping that this free download is truer to the early games.

Can't say for SP:WAW, but I think that the SPWW2 & SPMBT follow really true to the original games.
They just tweaked the code to get rid of bugs, added vehicles, etc. Both run around 70 or so Megs,
in size. Eventually, I might get around to downloading the 425 Megs or so that SP:WAW takes up,
but I'm happy with the other two right now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Steel Panther's I and II was one of my favorites. 3D lost something so I'm hoping that this free download is truer to the early games. I've since moved on to Comand and Concur and have been playing different versions of it for like ten years now.

I got hooked on C&C too, now I try and convince my friends to play so I can hand them their asses.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steel Panther's I and II was one of my favorites. 3D lost something so I'm hoping that this free download is truer to the early games.

Can't say for SP:WAW, but I think that the SPWW2 & SPMBT follow really true to the original games.
They just tweaked the code to get rid of bugs, added vehicles, etc. Both run around 70 or so Megs,
in size. Eventually, I might get around to downloading the 425 Megs or so that SP:WAW takes up,
but I'm happy with the other two right now.

Steel Panthers World at War v. 8.0  looks/plays basically like the original to me but tweaked to fix flaws. Version 8.2 is supposed to improve upon v. 8.0 which is outstanding.  I don't remember ever seeing a Steel Panthers 3D.  Steel Panthers 3 I did not care for because they changed unit sizes to reflect companies, brigades, regiments to broaden the battle scene instead of having you deal with individual units.

Command and Conquer, Red Alert, etc are fun but cannot be compared to Steel Panthers.  They are nothing alike.  A closer matching game that plays real time instead of turn based might be Sudden Strike.  I still like the turn based games better though, more of a thinking game instead of being able to click fast.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't remember ever seeing a Steel Panthers 3D.

I don't ever recall ever  hearing of a 3D either. I think that was a typo, on whoever's account that
posted it. I didn't like SP3 either as it went to larger units versus individual units or squads.

One thing that I do like about the upgraded game is that they've made the AI a LOT smarter, which
is a refreshing change from SP or SP2, where you had certain maneuvers that you could try, and
the computer was oblivious. Now the computer will try flanking maneuvers (quite deviously at times),
lay mines on the edges to prevent you from doing the same, etc.... Good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steel Panther's I and II was one of my favorites. 3D lost something so I'm hoping that this free download is truer to the early games. I've since moved on to Comand and Concur and have been playing different versions of it for like ten years now.

I am a huge fan of the Close Combat series from SSI. There is finally going to be a new one released this year and I am dyin to play it. The best company and squad level strategy games ever.

www.closecombat.com

No shit Brad?  A new CloseCombat PC game ?  The website you list indicates it's a first-person shooter set in Afghanistan.  That oughta be fun even if it is a departure from the old CC2,3,4,5 series of games!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top