BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It better be steam piston driven.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Alot of great guns are already steampunk. The Bayard Bergman, Maxim 08, the Webley Fosbery,C96 carbines are some wonderful examples. Go here for ideas.

ETA
try this
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the belt fed .22 LR uppers done in Burnt Bronze would be pretty punk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It will be very difficult to do this on the cheap, but it should end up awesome.

CNC wax halves for investment cast reciever.  Brass is not out of the realm of feasibility for a backyard metal caster.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Remember this no matter what else: FUNCTION PRECEDES FORM, EVEN FOR STEAMPUNK

1. Instead of an "upper" handguard section, leave that part above the barrel to expose the gas works. DI vs piston is probably not that important, but use copper tubing to surround and protect the gas tube. Bonus points if the tubing is ported with little window sections.

2. The gas block itself could probably be custom made rather easily from copper or stainless steel to give it a retro-futuristic look. If you can find an adjustable gas block, see if you can throw some functional gears on it.

3. Front and rear sights could probably be crafted from a discarded gun of yesteryear if you can locate one, and you could make the rear sight adjustable using gears ..... maybe run the gear array down to thumb level so you can actually adjust the rear sights without take your hands off the trigger grip. Bonus points if it's ambidexterous.

4. Get rid of the dust cover on the upper, since you'll want a TiN or Nitrided bolt carrier to be exposed for all to see.

5. I personally think the Seekins lower is perfect for steampunk with it's curvature. Call Glen and see if he'll make you an unanodized one so you can bronze it to your own specs.

6. You gotta have a blunderbluss muzzle device, you just gotta.

7. Find an A2 wood stock or two and see what you can do with them in terms of customizing.

ETA:  8.  Forgot about the stainless steel LPK's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot, along those lines, you might even redesign the reciever a bit.

Leave the location of all the important holes alone, then go hog wild in CAD.  Make it mo betta.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tagged...
I do steampunk art.

I also do steamspunk artistry

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/images/Engraving/schgold.gif

the leaver and butt place  - not to mention the maple.  Hell, even the sight would not be half bad - likewise the front rest (not it picture) would probably be good to add as well.  Hell even the gold/brass inlays are cool.

Damn Schuetzen highwalls are sexy.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/696/1/BP-SCH-50-B  

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/696/2/BP-SCH-90-B

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/948/1/TG-MA-71-B

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but the first one is pure heresy. Gaying up a Han Solo-esque blaster trying to make it look all lamepunked out?

I'm not a big Bolshevism fan, but your statement is pure heresy. Gaying up a C96 mauser trying to make it look all space fantasy?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Here you go

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Just put...
Oh, I've been beaten to that suggestion.

Put beer cans and gears on it. Make it redneck steampunk.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Remember this no matter what else: FUNCTION PRECEDES FORM, EVEN FOR STEAMPUNK

1. Instead of an "upper" handguard section, leave that part above the barrel to expose the gas works. DI vs piston is probably not that important, but use copper tubing to surround and protect the gas tube. Bonus points if the tubing is ported with little window sections.

2. The gas block itself could probably be custom made rather easily from copper or stainless steel to give it a retro-futuristic look. If you can find an adjustable gas block, see if you can throw some functional gears on it.

3. Front and rear sights could probably be crafted from a discarded gun of yesteryear if you can locate one, and you could make the rear sight adjustable using gears ..... maybe run the gear array down to thumb level so you can actually adjust the rear sights without take your hands off the trigger grip. Bonus points if it's ambidexterous.

4. Get rid of the dust cover on the upper, since you'll want a TiN or Nitrided bolt carrier to be exposed for all to see.

5. I personally think the Seekins lower is perfect for steampunk with it's curvature. Call Glen and see if he'll make you an unanodized one so you can bronze it to your own specs.

7. Find an A2 wood stock or two and see what you can do with them in terms of customizing.

ETA:  8.  Forgot about the stainless steel LPK's.
Brilliant!

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
where are the concept drawings already?  it's been hours!

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Along with the pressure gauge, how about some sort of device to count either the fired rounds or perhaps the remaining rounds in a 30 round magazine?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw a lower at Olympic Arms years ago that they made out of Beryllium I think it was.  It looked much like brass.  

Someone was selling the Henry rifle from the movie Wild Wild West at a gun show here a few years ago for something like $3600.  I wanted it in a bad way, but I couldn't afford it at the time.  It probably would have been a great investment with the popularity of steam punk stuff now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone with photoshop experience needs to be in this thread in a major way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I picture the butt stock as being adjustable, like a Crescent wrench. The buffer tube would have teeth on the bottom, and the stock would have a "spiral nut" that could be turned by hand to adjust the length. Crappy Photochop below...

I would also say the most awesome Steam Punk gun, that needs no modifying at all is the Lewis Gun. The Lewis was steam punk before steam punk even existed.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an H&R 12ga that I've been thinking of doing this to. Or I might just order one of those black powder blunderbusses....
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]
These guys make a bronze 80% lower ...

https://www.vbd.com//noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=127

Some wood furniture ideas ....

http://ar15wood.com/

We had a thread on wood furniture a while back ....

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=520123

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out Dixie Gun Works for alot of period leather products for slings and pouches,
brass accoutrements for wooden stocks like inlays, patch boxes, buttplates and such. Cool site for other stuff too.

DGW

Brass Buttplates
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
A lower and upper machined out of Beryllium Copper would look cool. I'd hate to think how much $$$ it would cost.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The charging handle could be operated by a lever that runs back the side of the stock, kind of like the cocking lever on some side charging air rifles.

Along the lines of:

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A lower and upper machined out of Beryllium Copper would look cool. I'd hate to think how much $$$ it would cost.

That's what I was thinking. About 5 or 6 years back The Tannery Shop used to have Bronze Uppers and Lowers (80%) for sale, and I really wish I would have snagged a few. I've been toying with the idea of a Steampunk build too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The charging handle could be operated by a lever that runs back the side of the stock, kind of like the cocking lever on some side charging air rifles.

Along the lines of:

http://www.micksguns.com/images/webb%203%20-%203.jpg

One of the basic rules of good Steampunk is that it isn't silly.

Using a lever to charge a spring - a spring that doesn't normally require any leverage to charge - is silly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:27:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe modify Pmags by cutting out the "windows" on the sides (to show the brass of  the cartridges), and create scripted numbers for rounds remaining on the side.  Maybe even fabricate a little brass "arrow" that attaches to the floorplate and runs along the side of the mag pointing to the round count.  Of cousre, some sort of metallic krylon for the mags would be in order.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:04:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh, he'll ya...

Analog chamber pressure gauge, analog gauge for the voltage of the red dot, brass upper and lower, antiqued wood furniture, that extends to the end of the barrel, very contorted thumbhole stock, over sized external gas tube, cone flash hider, and a chainmail or brushed stainless steel mesh sling....

I can dig it up

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brass sights.

some sort of sextant-looking thing would be awesome.  

Adapt a M203 quadrant sight perhaps.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#29]

That.
Is.
Funny.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Personally I think Steam-punk is "boyish" (AKA something a kid would do)

I think it would add weight and no functionality to an AR

If you really want to do something "Steampunk" I would
use a different rifle more fitting to the steam era.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It's art, that you can shoot with.

Tag to see where this goes.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagging for the finished project.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along the lines of:

Using a lever to charge a spring - a spring that doesn't normally require any leverage to charge - is silly.

The whole exercise is rather silly.

That said, given the time period:
a - the caliber would have likely been something on the far big boy side of 30, meaning the dimmunitive charging handle latch wouldn't be ideal
b - mass production of ammo wouldn't be as precise as it is today - jams would likely be more the norm
c - powders wouldn't have been as clean, again leading to more frequent jams and consistently dirty chambers
d - high tensile strength, thin materials like aluminum weren't available, everything was by necessity chunkier/beefier to achieve the same strength

The idea of a levered or ratcheted design on the charging handle is easily justifiable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Must...not...tag

Too late
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Honestly, is it any sillier than the Hello Kitty AR or AK? The hot pink AR? Sometimes people just need to explore their creative side and this gives them an outlet...
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, is it any sillier than the Hello Kitty AR or AK? The hot pink AR? Sometimes people just need to explore their creative side and this gives them an outlet...

I agree.  If you want the look of brass, brushed metal,  wood, leather, or even stone and other interesting things, you could use some 3m Di-NOC or Scotchprint vinyl.  

This is what I have done with some of their carbon fiber finish:

http://media.ak47.net/forums/t_6_19/360746_I_tried_my_hand_at_some_3M_DI_NOC_carbon_fiber_textured_vinyl_on_my_RFB_and_some_PMAGs_.html&page=1

Here are some of the other finishes they make.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=PPPPPr6wH0cpiuqRl7xsi7qbbs6nb06wEsQPbsQPbPPPPPP%E2%80%93%E2%80%93

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/architectural-markets/home/products/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GG2E0IM3L89RI1CV5000000_nid=CL7BTPDNPQbeVFJMDLXHJ8gl

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#38]
You want a steampunk AR?

Load all your rounds with black powder.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along the lines of:

I have never heard or seen evidence of that rule...
I always seem to get a "Rube Goldberg" vibe from most of the stuff I've seen. Over-improving dead end tech is the name of the game, right? I agree that most of the crap people put together ( throw some gears on it!) is stupid and pointless, but if the lever serves a function I'm good with it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just going to post that.

Although... from the linked thread above:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4714/picture2nxs.png

That almost looks like a Nerf gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I wonder how Ithaca got this look on their gun.

Would this fit the mold of what the OP is looking for as far as the upper and lower?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wonder how Ithaca got this look on their gun.

Would this fit the mold of what the OP is looking for as far as the upper and lower?

Napoleon tanerite works for Ithaca now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Go big and badass or go home, I say.

Want a rusty metal looking lower?  Great.  CAST IRON LOWER.

It'd be heavy as shit, but it would be the most badass steampunk AR-15 ever to spring from the imagination of Crom.

Want a blunderbuss looking barrel?  Sure.  But only because it's going to be chambered in some huge-ass caliber.  Which fits with steampunk, if you consider it a divergence of tech starting around the Victorian era.  

If it doesn't require a registration as a DD by the time you're done designing it, you're doing it wrong.

Another .02 free of charge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Coiled copper tubing for the gas tube.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Go big and badass or go home, I say.

Want a rusty metal looking lower?  Great.  CAST IRON LOWER.

It'd be heavy as shit, but it would be the most badass steampunk AR-15 ever to spring from the imagination of Crom.

Want a blunderbuss looking barrel?  Sure.  But only because it's going to be chambered in some huge-ass caliber.  Which fits with steampunk, if you consider it a divergence of tech starting around the Victorian era.  

If it doesn't require a registration as a DD by the time you're done designing it, you're doing it wrong.

Another .02 free of charge.

I was thinking about Iron Lowers last night.  Black Powder Cartridge combo would rock. Lots of smoke would be cool. Now I'm regretting not buying one of the bronze 80%  lowers that were available a few years back.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Coiled copper tubing for the gas tube.

Hell yes!
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Some inspiration

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll be a son of a gun, Bronze Coated lowers (unfinished) are still out there !
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top