Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 10:04:39 AM EDT
I need some direction to point my students.

I need to know an 1870's-1890's steam locomotive  that would have been prevalent in Wyoming.  

We have to find some photographs, diagrams, and or blue prints to make a large scale model.

Maybe something similar to "Jupiter"?  4-4-0?

Title edited for more clarification
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Case or Reeves would probably be the bigger names out there.  I would personally go closer to the turn of the century.  A early 1900s 40-140 Reeves would be a great model.  You will probably have better luck with Case engines.  There were more of them made and modern scale models are more common and prints are available.

OST!

Me on a half scale Case 65 dad and I built.

ETA:  Replied before your edit, I was thinking steam traction engines, not locomotives 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a railroad museum near you?  Chances are they have a life size locomotive and possibly more details that you are looking for, and I'm guessing they would be more than willing to assist with your project.

That's where I'd start if I were you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm eclipsing at a buddy's house in a couple of hours who's in the local steam engine club. He's got a couple small ones in his garage that he built that  I could probably  shoot you some pictures of if that would  help.

Upon further review, it appears you're looking for locomotives.  I was thinking stationary engines.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Little Engines American 4-4-0 would be a good example.  I believe they sell drawings for it.

4-4-0 American
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Might also contact Union Pacific's steam shop in Cheyenne.  They may be willing to help.

UP Steam
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#7]
lyons Park Cheyenne

Old Sadie is a historic treasure sitting on the north end of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens grounds. It is the oldest locomotive in Wyoming and one of the oldest intact locomotives ever to run in the Union Pacific (UP) fleet. This coal/steam powered locomotive was built in December, 1890, in New Jersey by Cooke Locomotive & Machine Works of Patterson, NJ.  It weighs 148,500 lbs, has 57? driver wheels and 19? x 24? cylinders. It operated a boiler pressure of 165 psi and had a tractive effort of 21,300 lbs. It ran from the Copper mines of Encampment the 45 mile Walcott-Saratoga-Encampment branch line from November of 1921 until May 15, 1954, when the Copper ran out after which the Union Pacific decided to pull the line out of the valley. It also hauled other products to and from the valley.

It was known as “The 1242,” but was lovingly called “Ol’ Sadie.” by those that worked on her and operated......
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
IN!  

ETA:  Was going to ask how the welding went this summer, and then I realize you're wanting to build a steam locomotive...  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IN!  

ETA:  Was going to ask how the welding went this summer, and then I realize you're wanting to build a steam locomotive...  
View Quote
This is not the "official thread ".

Welding didn't happen this summer.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
lyons Park Cheyenne

http://livinghistoryregistry.com/images/rail/UP-1242.jpg

Old Sadie is a historic treasure sitting on the north end of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens grounds. It is the oldest locomotive in Wyoming and one of the oldest intact locomotives ever to run in the Union Pacific (UP) fleet. This coal/steam powered locomotive was built in December, 1890, in New Jersey by Cooke Locomotive & Machine Works of Patterson, NJ.  It weighs 148,500 lbs, has 57? driver wheels and 19? x 24? cylinders. It operated a boiler pressure of 165 psi and had a tractive effort of 21,300 lbs. It ran from the Copper mines of Encampment the 45 mile Walcott-Saratoga-Encampment branch line from November of 1921 until May 15, 1954, when the Copper ran out after which the Union Pacific decided to pull the line out of the valley. It also hauled other products to and from the valley.

It was known as “The 1242,” but was lovingly called “Ol’ Sadie.” by those that worked on her and operated......
View Quote
Good stuff!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Guns what ever is the official address.....please link it here

OH almost forgot

TAG
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
1887-built Union Pacific number 737 as she appeared in the 1970s in the Nelson Blount collection.  #737 is currently owned and displayed in Stevenson, CA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking forward to a new project!

UP 533 is in Rawlins. Not quite as old as you mentioned, being built in 1903.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Close as I can get. Built in 1910. It is about one half mile from my house. My Grandson is infatuated with it.

Attachment Attached File

http://www.rgusrail.com/txfwd501.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1887-built Union Pacific number 737 as she appeared in the 1970s in the Nelson Blount collection.  #737 is currently owned and displayed in Stevenson, CA.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3791/12004902585_096301d5e7_b.jpg
View Quote

I think that's close to what we are going to go with.

I found lots of info on the Baldwin 4-4-0 series.    

Probably something like this.
[

When I get the official thread started, I'll share the link here.  Thanks for the help fellas!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Too late to suggest you could be a Wyoming heretic and build a Central Pacific locomotive?

My Great Uncles worked for Southern Pacific and would expect me to suggest nothing less that C. P. Huntngton

It is sitting in the California Railroad museum, where my Father in Law was a 10,000 hour docent.  He, and CarbineMom, would expect me to suggest nothing less.  And it only has two drive wheels to make

ETA:  you're building Jupiter in Wyoming?    Awesome
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Too late to suggest you could be a Wyoming heretic and build a Central Pacific locomotive?

My Great Uncles worked for Southern Pacific and would expect me to suggest nothing less that C. P. Huntngton

https://www.californiarailroad.museum/assets/images/Huntington-byJess-Newcomb.JPG

It is sitting in the California Railroad museum, where my Father in Law was a 10,000 hour docent.  He, and CarbineMom, would expect me to suggest nothing less.  And it only has two drive wheels to make

https://photos.smugmug.com/USA/California/California-State-Railroad/i-XqPhzzk/0/M/IMG_9596-M.jpg

ETA:  you're building Jupiter in Wyoming?    Awesome
View Quote
It won't be "Jupiter"....   just similar, Baldwin make, Union Pacific themed.

I might get away with hanging a "Nazi"Uboat in our high school, but putting up a Central Pacific locomotive would probably get me thrown out of town.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I would check with the steam shop at Tweetsie Railroad https://tweetsie.com/our-famous-steam-locomotive-shop/. Not only do they keep the trains at the park going they rebuild locos for other companies as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top