Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 1:27:12 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
now THIS is a thread i can really masturbate to!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it just me, or is someone trying for a FOD in that 2nd image?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, that F-117 looks pretty haggard.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told yesterday that when a plane no matter how stealthy breaks the sound barrier the sonic boom shows up on radar thus they know something is coming.  True?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was told yesterday that when a plane no matter how stealthy breaks the sound barrier the sonic boom shows up on radar thus they know something is coming.  True?

Ask an Iranian radar operator in about a year.

Seriously, why would a sound wave show up on an electromagnetic sensor?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way it was explained to me was a sonic boom is the result of friction.  Displaced air causes noise and physical force, a sound wave can cause motion too.

ETA:  I seriously hope it does not take a year.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
where were these pics taken?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do clouds and stuff show up on radar?  Anybody ever see the pics of planes breaking the soundbarrier and having the ring of water vapor appearing around them?  The compressed air and water vapor might show up, but would the radar be tuned to not show clouds and things?  Someone said that the paint might be heated and lose some of its ram properties?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do clouds and stuff show up on radar?  Anybody ever see the pics of planes breaking the soundbarrier and having the ring of water vapor appearing around them?  The compressed air and water vapor might show up, but would the radar be tuned to not show clouds and things?  Someone said that the paint might be heated and lose some of its ram properties?

Depends on the radar, doppler weather radar would probably see the vapor trail (maybe) but can't get a skin paint.  Different types of radars for different uses.  If you are using a bandwidth that shows water vapor it will also block aircraft that are behind the vapor.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top