Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2007 11:40:42 PM EDT
You think this site can eat up your money, I've been spending time there.

Wait till you see what I'm getting in a few months.

Will post pics when it comes

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
COME ON, DUDE !  You gotta at least give us a few hints.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well , it's a surgical  bolt gun , with a suppressor . That's all I'm saying
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, there goes 8 to 10 grand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
"surgical"...lol

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
They turned me on to U.S. Optics,I've never looked back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"surgical bolt gun" means "terrorist rifle", IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
did you buy a real Surgeon rifle???    

I could easily dump $10K on a rifle with the help of that site.   Now if only I had an extra $10K
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
+1
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't post there much, but that's a good site.

I agree that the optics and custom guns can get you in very deep very quickly. Unfortunatley there are not a lot of places you can shoot long range in the northeast so I muddle by with my Remington/Leupold. I'd love to live in one of the areas where you can go out and shoot 600+ yards on public land.

If you ever visit California, on a vacation or something, even a business trip, drop me a line.  I'll take you out to our Club range - we shoot at 600+ yards regularly.  We have gongs out to 1200 yards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
come out here and shoot three fucking miles if you want...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep you start looking at all that cheap shit like GAP  badger and S&B
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
What have you done to me!?! - I'd never even heard of the site until this thread, and now I'm all over it.  You disgust me

I'm waiting for more specs on your project.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My guess is a very nice custom tactical rifle.  Probably from GAP or another reputable source.  The top it off with a nice Nightforce or USO scope.  Probably around 5-6k whole hog.  Does that dound about right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

i have a problem with words like surgical and gun.  what is it made of?  surgical grade steel?    can you put it in an Autoclave?  

if it is a 1/2 MOA gun that is all you need to say.  if it's a 1 MOA that's fine.  repeatable 1/4 MOA under field conditions is bull crap.  so you got a good gun.  i am happy for you.  

i just don't understand how people can justify selling someone a multi thousand dollar remington 700 by using terms like surgical.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

i have a problem with words like surgical and gun.  what is it made of?  surgical grade steel?    can you put it in an Autoclave?  

if it is a 1/2 MOA gun that is all you need to say.  if it's a 1 MOA that's fine.  repeatable 1/4 MOA under field conditions is bull crap.  so you got a good gun.  i am happy for you.  

i just don't understand how people can justify selling someone a multi thousand dollar remington 700 by using terms like surgical.  

Man ...you 're a party crasher!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/

Regarded as one of the best if not the best actions to build on for a tactical sniper type rifle.  Builds on the Hide get into the thousands.  Everytime I go to that site, I get the urge to build a custom bolt action on a AICS stock with all the do dad in 338 Lapua Magnum.  Then comes the realization of my wallet and the cost of ammo.  That, and I have no place that is open to the public that shoots out to 1000+ yards that is within driving distance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Regarded as one of the best if not the best actions to build on for a tactical sniper type rifle.  Builds on the Hide get into the thousands.  Everytime I go to that site, I get the urge to build a custom bolt action on a AICS stock with all the do dad in 338 Lapua Magnum.  Then comes the realization of my wallet and the cost of ammo.  That, and I have no place that is open to the public that shoots out to 1000+ yards that is within driving distance.

it's a tool that fires a hunk of metal that flies thru the air.  gusts of wind, humidity, ambient temperature, barrel temperature and a whole lot of other factors make it less of a surgical look like a scalpel and more like a very accurate rifle.  which is what it is.  it's not the finger of god and you are not zeus raining down lighting bolts that can't miss.

sometimes i just get sick of the hype.

(and you guys KNOW the week after he gets his end all be all super gun it may puke it's extractor every five rounds or fail to feed and it will be a $4000 piece of crap).  

i am just saying it's a tool.        
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

it's a tool that fires a hunk of metal that flies thru the air.  gusts of wind, humidity, ambient temperature, barrel temperature and a whole lot of other factors make it less of a surgical look like a scalpel and more like a very accurate rifle.  which is what it is.  it's not the finger of god and you are not zeus raining down lighting bolts that can't miss.

(and you guys KNOW the week after he gets his end all be all super gun it may puke it's extractor every five rounds or fail to feed and it will be a $4000 piece of crap).  

The funniest part is, while it will look very tacticool, and expensive, many typical Remington 700s will shoot darn near as well.   Most shooters would never know the difference.    

Not knocking your rifle.  I appreciate an accurate bolt gun more than most.  I just see guys spend that kind of money on hunting rifles all the time, with less than spectacular results; but they are happy, as you will be.    Although suppressed isn't something I see everyday.  I'm jealous.

Can't wait to see pictures.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Man ...you 're a party crasher!!!

He's just right, that's all.  I have a 700 classic .22-250 and a expensive trashco scope, that with handloads off a bench on a calm day will shoot 3/8" 5 shots groups more often than not.   Will all my 700s do that, no, but all shoot under 1MOA consistantly.

How much more can a "custom" gun guarentee?     Not going to happen.  

Does that make the rifle as cool, or as good?  No, but probably just as accurate; although the suppressed thing would be just a bit cooler

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

To be honest your comments kinda surprised me . While I'm well aware that a rifle
is just a tool. but there are tools and there are precision tools . While both might be able to get the job done in the end , some tools are just more enjoyable to use.

I understand your comment of being sick of all the hype and sometimes it can go overboard with calling everything Tactical from hats to gloves and everything else the manufactures want to attach the term to.

And I'm sure that I'm a little older and have worked just a bit longer than you.
And in my retirement which is growing near . In my opinion I have earned the right to buy my END ALL BE ALL SUPER RIFLE. piece of crap.

Thanks for posting your thought in my thread.

and to the other question here it will be built on a surgeon action.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Like with surgery and surgeons, its the hands of the shooter and the surgeon, not the gun or scapel tself, that makes it surgical.  Most high quality sniper rifles shoot more accurately than the ability of their owners.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't post there much, but that's a good site.

I agree that the optics and custom guns can get you in very deep very quickly. Unfortunatley there are not a lot of places you can shoot long range in the northeast so I muddle by with my Remington/Leupold. I'd love to live in one of the areas where you can go out and shoot 600+ yards on public land.

If you ever visit California, on a vacation or something, even a business trip, drop me a line.  I'll take you out to our Club range - we shoot at 600+ yards regularly.  We have gongs out to 1200 yards.

1200 yards! Damn, that'd be sweet. I think I'd need a better scope though

I recommend laying of the coffee the morning prior to going to the range, too.  At those distances, every little bit helps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Like with surgery and surgeons, its the hands of the shooter and the surgeon, not the gun or scapel tself, that makes it surgical.  Most high quality sniper rifles shoot more accurately than the ability of their owners.

Totally agree
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#29]
So, is it one of those sub-MOA's out of the box or do you have to have someone work on it?  Give us some clues as to what you're purchasing, if you don't mind.  I favor the Remington 700 PSS myself.  In a perfect world, I'd buy an Accuracy International, but I can't swing it right now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#30]

I recommend laying of the coffee the morning prior to going to the range, too. At those distances, every little bit helps.

I intentionally stop all caffeine consumption a few hours prior to
a shoot.  It does change my marksmanship slightly.  I DO recommend
hot decaf because it warms you up and keeps you from shivering.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I recommend laying of the coffee the morning prior to going to the range, too. At those distances, every little bit helps.

I intentionally stop all caffeine consumption a few hours prior to
a shoot.  It does change my marksmanship slightly.  I DO recommend
hot decaf because it warms you up and keeps you from shivering.

At 1200 yards, a slight movement on the shooter end translates to yards off the target at the target end.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]

come out here and shoot three fucking miles if you want.

You must live in town .......

GAP ...................338 Lapua ???????
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
So, is it one of those sub-MOA's out of the box or do you have to have someone work on it?  Give us some clues as to what you're purchasing, if you don't mind.  I favor the Remington 700 PSS myself.  In a perfect world, I'd buy an Accuracy International, but I can't swing it right now.

I'm going with a .308 , Krieger barrel , jewell trigger , and still working over the stock
choices , McMillan A5 or AI haven't decided yet. I'm going to shoot with AI stock
tuesday and get the feel of it if I like it. As for the suppressor I'm still looking
at manufactures.The only thing I have bought at this time is the action and the barrel.

Once I get the rifle finished in hand will decide on optics.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

come out here and shoot three fucking miles if you want.

You must live in town .......

GAP ...................338 Lapua ???????

I wish we had a range that long in CT to justify a 338 Lapua
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going with a .308 , Krieger barrel , jewell trigger , and still working over the stock
choices , McMillan A5 or AI haven't decided yet. I'm going to shoot with AI stock
tuesday and get the feel of it if I like it. As for the suppressor I'm still looking
at manufactures.The only thing I have bought at this time is the action and the barrel.

Once I get the rifle finished in hand will decide on optics.

I can tell you right now that you will love the AI stock.   With optics, moreso than other things, you definitely get what you pay for.

It sounds like you have money.  You can't go wrong with this one

www.opticsplanet.net/custom-leupold-vari-x-iii-35-10x40mm-rifle-scope.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Totally agree

You are misunderstanding his comment

He is not impling that he will be using this gun with "surgical " precision. He means he is buying a rifle made by Surgeon , most likely their "scalpel" - $4000 without optics !model or building a gun on a surgeon action.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"surgical"...lol

Totally agree

You are misunderstanding his comment

He is not impling that he will be using this gun with "surgical " precision. He means he is buying a rifle made by Surgeon , most likely their "scalpel" - $4000 without optics !model or building a gun on a surgeon action.  

Thanks , I think he understood that , or maybe not .It is a Surgeon action.

I hope that the readers don't think I'm implying that I will be shooting with surgical
precision just because I'm buying this rifle. I know that this will shoot much better than I can. I just wanted a very nice bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I hung out for just a few days at Snipers Hide and I bought this..

Savage 10FP with NightForce 5.5 to 22 X 56 with illuminate mildot

But it shoots like a dream... near 1/2 MOA out of the box with an untuned load
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

i15.tinypic.com/455n96f.jpg

i16.tinypic.com/2nrir2a.jpg

That site definitely has a way of doing that

Very nice
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Is that a HS stock?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a HS stock?

Yup...HS precision stock.

I like the way it fits me and it works just fine with the extra high rings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice gotta love Savage

I have 2 buddies that hang out at snipershide  a lot

One has a GAP and a SIG 3000

the other has a Savage

the Savage shoots tighter than either of the other guys rifles
and it annoys the shit out of him
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Nice gotta love Savage

I have 2 buddies that hang out at snipershide  a lot

One has a GAP and a SIG 3000

the other has a Savage

the Savage shoots tighter than either of the other guys rifles
and it annoys the shit out of him

But ... you can't beat the out of the box SIG Trigger.  Smoothest trigger I have ever felt.  That being said, you can always have a trigger job done on the gun you choose, if the feel is not to your liking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Precision rifles make for great black holes in your wallet.  I've recenly picked up a Blaser LRS II.  Now all I have to pick up is a scope, range finder...

I'm gonna be broke
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#45]
i've been a member there less than a year  

the updated link is   SNIPERSHIDE.net

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
www.snipershide.com/

Goatboy, if you're listening, please, PLEASE never think it's a good idea to add sound to arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#47]

That site is totally evil. It  made me buy a scope first and then find a rifle for it. When I was done the scope / rings  base is worth twice what the rifle is .  I wouldnt hesitate to do it again like this . Scope is a Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12 . Rifle is a Tikka in 308Win

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted:
www.snipershide.com/

Goatboy, if you're listening, please, PLEASE never think it's a good idea to add sound to arfcom.[/quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You think this site can eat up your money, I've been spending time there.

Wait till you see what I'm getting in a few months.

Will post pics when it comes

tell me about it

Lower rifle is Rem LTR in .308, US Optics SN-3, AIC 1.5 chassis

Other is FN SPR A3G .308 with a S-B 4X - 16X PMII with the new Premier reticle - out of the box best shooter I have ever owned!

that dog is a ham - always mugging for the camera
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
come out here and shoot three fucking miles if you want...
In that WYO wind that would be a real test. Land of 40 mile an hour light breazy days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top