Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2012 12:56:59 PM EDT
With all the Penn State headlines, how long it went on, and how long ago some of the victims have said it happened to them, I started wondering. Is there a statute of limitations for such crimes? If someone is molested at 5-10 years old and decides to come forward for whatever reason at 20, where's the line where they say "Oh, that's terrible but we can't do anything now"? Or is it like murder and there is no limitation?
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Statute for molestation should be when the victim reaches the age of 22.  This gives them time to be oht of high school and possibly college as well.   All others in light of all the recent "me too" bandwagons we've seen i.e. Herman Cain should be set at 5 years if the victim has already reached the age of 18.  But that is  my. 02

ETA:  it varies by state.  In PA the child victim has until they reach the age of 50
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no statute of limitations for child molestation in TN or VA. TN charged and convicted an ex-priest last year for the crimes he committed 20+ years ago. The Commonwealth of VA wants him now for acts he committed when he took them across state lines.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
when the molested child gets to take a baseball bat to the molester..then the statute of limitions is set..

I'm a death penelty advocate for kiddie diddlers..public execution, after public flogging, after public humiliation of being dragged thru the streets
wearing a sign saying I RAPE CHILDRENS LIVES...
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Something you would care to share?

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm against molesters, but I'm also against false accusers.

If only there were a way to punish both...
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm against molesters, but I'm also against false accusers.

If only there were a way to punish both...

false accusers should serve the same time the accused would have gotten if found guilty
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Child Abuse Statute of Limitations for each State in the United States

The statute of limitations, or the time that must expire before legal proceedings can no longer be initiated, differs for each state.  
In many cases it can be very confusing.  
Below are the statute of limitations for child abuse civil and criminal cases for each state in the United States.

http://angelroar.com/foradults/c-child-abuse-resources-adults/childabusestatuteoflimitationsbystate

In my mind there should be no Statute of Limitations for crimes against children
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Statute for molestation should be when the victim reaches the age of 22.  This gives them time to be oht of high school and possibly college as well.   All others in light of all the recent "me too" bandwagons we've seen i.e. Herman Cain should be set at 5 years if the victim has already reached the age of 18.  But that is  my. 02

ETA:  it varies by state.  In PA the child victim has until they reach the age of 50

I find it abominable you or anyone else would give a child rapist/molester a get out of jail card.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

sure

I raised 5 adopted kids, 3 of them were molested by a family member before I bought them into my home.

Child molesters are monsters in people skin, there isnt a policy harsh enough for the SOB's be they male or female hetro or homo..MONSTERS
and Monsters need to be destroyed, heads removed, stakes thru hearts and bodies burned and ashes scattered.

I Pray daily I was able to thurn out normal, loved children into successful and reasonably happy adults..I did my best regardless of my own issues
and so far, my Baby is 19 and on his way to AfCrapistan next week..my oldest,,has problems, he drinks, he self mutilates,,I did my best..
the three in the middle are a Vetrinarian, a Computer Co VP and a ex Army ranger, now, post grad in Law School, God bless em all with success and happiness..
CHEF
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Only for Roman Catholic Priests.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure

I raised 5 adopted kids, 3 of them were molested by a family member before I bought them into my home.

Child molesters are monsters in people skin, there isnt a policy harsh enough for the SOB's be they male or female hetro or homo..MONSTERS
and Monsters need to be destroyed, heads removed, stakes thru hearts and bodies burned and ashes scattered.

I Pray daily I was able to thurn out normal, loved children into successful and reasonably happy adults..I did my best regardless of my own issues
and so far, my Baby is 19 and on his way to AfCrapistan next week..my oldest,,has problems, he drinks, he self mutilates,,I did my best..
the three in the middle are a Vetrinarian, a Computer Co VP and a ex Army ranger, now, post grad in Law School, God bless em all with success and happiness..
CHEF

God Bless you, CHEF
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

With all the Penn State headlines, how long it went on, and how long ago some of the victims have said it happened to them, I started wondering. Is there a statute of limitations for such crimes? If someone is molested at 5-10 years old and decides to come forward for whatever reason at 20, where's the line where they say "Oh, that's terrible but we can't do anything now"? Or is it like murder and there is no limitation?

It's there for evidence reasons.  As time passes people forget details and there is an increased risk of false convictions.  Someone could accuse you of something and you might have an iron clad alibi, but what are the odds that you would remember it?

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure

CHEF

God Bless you, CHEF.    

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure

CHEF

You know, I always thought you were a great guy because of the time you've spent and patience you've shown in your cooking threads but, I had no idea you were also a hero.

Thanks for reminding me I'm not done becoming a good person yet. Thanks, also, for what you've done for those kids.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's there for evidence reasons.  As time passes people forget details and there is an increased risk of false convictions.  Someone could accuse you of something and you might have an iron clad alibi, but what are the odds that you would remember it?

Or they just misremember something. I'm not sure I would screw someone's life up because someone thinks they remember something happening 20 plus years ago. Also these days a lot of criminals claim to be child abuse victims when it comes time for sentencing. I'd think twice about turning someone's life upside down because 20 years ago they had a neighbor who grew up into a piece of shit who needed something to create sympathy for them at sentencing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
when the molested child gets to take a baseball bat to the molester..then the statute of limitions is set..

I'm a death penelty advocate for kiddie diddlers..public execution, after public flogging, after public humiliation of being dragged thru the streets

I like the way you think.Sadly the law doesn't. I'm mainly asking because a coworker of mine has reported the possibility of a neighbor abusing their kid and nothing has been done. Curiosity made me start thinking worst case scenarios, and wonder how long the girl has to report things on her own.

ETA-What I just posted is all the details I know, he wouldn't share any more, as much as he hates the situation the girl's in he was still watching out for her privacy too(apparently she confided in him and that's how he found out.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the way you think.Sadly the law doesn't. I'm mainly asking because a coworker of mine has reported the possibility of a neighbor abusing their kid and nothing has been done. Curiosity made me start thinking worst case scenarios, and wonder how long the girl has to report things on her own.

ETA-What I just posted is all the details I know, he wouldn't share any more, as much as he hates the situation the girl's in he was still watching out for her privacy too(apparently she confided in him and that's how he found out.)

has he called the police, CPS, etc, gotten involved..these monsters need to be stopped and destroyed when ever they crawl out of the little hells they live in...please encourage him to do so..

chef
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you're asking if there's something in my past, no. If you're asking why I'd ask this, take my post above this one and add it to the news reports of now-adult child molestation victims. That's where the question comes from.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

has he called the police, CPS, etc, gotten involved..these monsters need to be stopped and destroyed when ever they crawl out of the little hells they live in...please encourage him to do so..

chef

He called DHS( Dept of Human Services,our version of CPS), and gotten a less than desirable response. This is the same department that my brother is dealing with in a custody fight, and the crazy ex girlfriend can do no wrong in their eyes, even though she has a criminal record as long as my arm(drugs, theft, trespassing, assaults). If you have a suggestion of who he can contact beyond local police and DHS let me know and I'll pass it on. He's definitely interested in a way to help the girl that does not end in a prison sentence for himself. He's just fed up with local channels and asked me for advice.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they just misremember something. I'm not sure I would screw someone's life up because someone thinks they remember something happening 20 plus years ago. Also these days a lot of criminals claim to be child abuse victims when it comes time for sentencing. I'd think twice about turning someone's life upside down because 20 years ago they had a neighbor who grew up into a piece of shit who needed something to create sympathy for them at sentencing.

There ahve been those cases, as well as cases ginned up by some headshrinker trying to score points with thier conpatriots...but, should the case be proven..they need to go under the jail...or read my  other posts for my personal feelings
CHEF
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a sister that is one. She is a monster.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure

CHEF

Sounds like you did pretty damned well.  You should be very proud!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top