Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/24/2010 3:34:08 AM EDT
States Weigh Letting Noncitizens Vote

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/24/states-weigh-letting-noncitizens-vote/#content

PORTLAND, Maine –– Like his neighbors, Claude Rwaganje pays taxes on his income and taxes on his cars. His children have gone to Portland's public schools. He's interested in the workings of Maine's largest city, which he has called home for 13 years.

There's one vital difference, though: Rwaganje isn't a U.S. citizen and isn't allowed to vote on those taxes or on school issues. That may soon change.

Portland residents will vote Nov. 2 on a proposal to give legal residents who are not U.S. citizens the right to vote in local elections, joining places like San Francisco and Chicago that have already loosened the rules or are considering it.

WAT.... WAT.....?!!?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the USSA, Komrade.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Take away the ballot box and we have a problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The people of Maine are not stupid, are they
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yet, we are the ones with the problem?

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck. That. Shit.  

Stirring the pot like this will open up a nasty can of worms.... but then the Libs will do anything for a vote.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
pledge your allegiance, take the oath. be then you can gain the respect and rights.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, they are not just fools, they are damm-fools!  If you are giving them the right to vote based on the taxes they pay, then it stands to reason that you would take away the vote from folks who can not produce a tax bill.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:59:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well, they are not just fools, they are damm-fools!  If you are giving them the right to vote based on the taxes they pay, then it stands to reason that you would take away the vote from folks who can not produce a tax bill.

not only that, but they fucked over their home countries politically, and now we want to let them make the same dumbass mistakes here?

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to need more ammo...

Don't forget to vote in the Mexican elections!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#11]
What about people that own a vacation home in a different part of the state or are from out of state? Shouldn't  they be allowed to vote also? It sure doesn't happen here in Michigan if you own a vacation place up north.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not go whole-hog and mail ballots to everyone in the world who applies for one? (Oops, shouldn't have given them the idea!)
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#13]
What's so wrong with letting " legal residents" (greencard holders) vote?

My co-worker is an ex-marine, gulf war I vet, came to the US from Norway when he was a kid, wasn't a US citizen (just his green card) until this year, this will be the first election he can vote in, and he's voting straight R....

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

it's arguable that every loosening of the voting standard has led to a lesser country. why would you expect this to be different?

also, if san francisco and chicago are considering the idea, i guarantee it is only going to lead one direction.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#15]
If Obama could have it his way, ONLY non-residents and non-taxpayers could vote.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#16]
If they want to vote that bad, they need to become a citizen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My co-worker is an ex-marine, gulf war I vet, came to the US from Norway when he was a kid, wasn't a US citizen (just his green card) until this year, this will be the first election he can vote in, and he's voting straight R....

You may feel more at home: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=389

You wouldn't get the troll like attention there that you crave, desire and need here.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If they want to vote that bad, they need to become a citizen.

this. /thread.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
+1
Just say no.

Legal resident is fine if its a stepping stone to naturalization.  Call it incentive.  EARNED incentive to decide where your money goes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

because legal residents are still citizens of their home countries.

if you want to vote become a citizen. it's that simple.

dear god don't they still teach civics in schools

apparently its not worth the $675 fee

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't really see much of a problem with this.  People should have a voice in the decisions that are made which affect them where they live.

That goes for all humans, not just Americans.  I think allowing this in local elections is a good compromise.

Citizenship doesn't mean what it once did.  

Disclaimer: this is coming from someone who looks forward to world government and wants to see a government similar to our own if not identical put in place.  the same protection of rights that we have should be extended to all people.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then it was his choice not to get his citizenship previously.  He could have done it when he was a child, with his military service, etc.  What was his excuse for waiting so long to become a U.S. citizen?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

because legal residents are still citizens of their home countries.

if you want to vote become a citizen. it's that simple.

dear god don't they still teach civics in schools

apparently its not worth the $675 fee

If he applies as a military applicant, the fee is waived:

Filing Fee :
   $675 ($595 plus a biometrics fee of $80). Applicants 75 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee; their fee total is $595. No fee is required for military applicants filing under Section 328 and 329 of the INA.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=480ccac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They are attempting to solve an age old problem.  If you don't like the electorate, get a new one.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but this just has WTF written all over it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#28]
? wtf... ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't really see much of a problem with this.  People should have a voice in the decisions that are made which affect them where they live.

That goes for all humans, not just Americans.  I think allowing this in local elections is a good compromise.

Disclaimer: this is coming from someone who looks forward to world government and wants to see a government similar to our own if not identical put in place.  the same protection of rights that we have should be extended to all people.

ETA: No one should be surprised.  Democrats realize that most immigrants vote D , so of course they are going to relax the rules for "their people" to vote.

Its just communism , whats the big deal. ?

Hopefully the people will nix this idea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All hail George Soros. College indoctrinated we are.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All hail George Soros. College indoctrinated we are.

First off, fuck Soros.  No.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fuck. That. Shit.  

Stirring the pot like this will open up a nasty can of worms.... but then the Libs will do anything for a vote.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#34]
This is a huge problem.  By definition, non-citizens have a true home elsewhere. if they have problems with the system in the US or how much they are taxed in it, they are welcome to return.  If they want to take full part in the US system, they need to nut up or shut up.  It's bad enough we have thousands of US citizens around the world who live and have primary loyalty to other countries, as they are merely citizens due to a carefully arranged "accident" of birth.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Get this proposition on the ballot so I can vote YES!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#36]
It's too early for me to wake up on Sunday and read this shit.

No. I don't want it.
Want a vote? Fucking become a citizen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#37]
States and localities should have control over this

If it's not a federal election, I don't really care

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#38]
How about FUCK NO! You want to vote become a citizen, otherwise STFU!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#39]
......think about the fraud and cheating that will be able to be held.

Bad times ahead brothers. Got to think about hunkering down in the future.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#40]
All you need to know- "I like the Democrats. I want to vote for Democrats, but I don't have citizenship," he said.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All you need to know- "I like the Democrats. I want to vote for Democrats, but I don't have citizenship," he said.

Sometimes a little bit says so much.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

There are other boxes.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Why don't we just pull a name out of a hat and let that one person pick the winner!!..............I can't believe my State of birth is going down the shitter like this!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's one of those arguments that seems to make sense on the surface, but in reality does NOT make sense.

On the one hand, the logic of the whole "no taxation without representation" and the logic (often espoused on ar15.com) that ONLY those who contribute to the system - i.e. pay taxes - should be allowed to vote, might lead one to the conclusion that legal foreign immigrants/residents should be allowed to vote, since (after all), they by definition followed the rules, pay taxes, etc.

But, as others in the thread have pointed out, there is an undeniable question of divided loyalty, by virtue of them being citizens of another country - where they almost certainly ARE allowed to vote (by absentee ballot), even if they live in the U.S.  

So, while the logic may seem to make sense, it really doesn't.

Also, I think we all can see pretty fucking clearly the door that is opened by this, which is that eventually ILLEGAL immigrants would be allowed to vote (as long as they pay taxes, haven't committed crimes, etc.)  Fuck that noise.

No shit. And beyond that, being caught in the country and deported should carry a penalty of disenfranchisment in the event that the individual ever DOES become a citizen. Break the rules and sneak in and get caught? No citizenship for you, no voting for you, no public assistance for you-EVER.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#45]

This is why revolution is far from off the table.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#46]
FO draws near.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#48]
And at the first court challenge, the law will be struck down with a iron fist.

MAJOR Constitutional violation-one MUST be a citizen to vote in ANY US election.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#49]
The fact that this proposal is actually being debated, as opposed to being outright dismissed as the mindless stupidity it is, is one more reason for me to not be optimistic about the future of this country. This nation is becoming a fucking free-for-all where anyone can show up, do what they want, get what they want, take part in the decision making process and demand that we adapt to their culture. I'm a goddamn citizen here and I'm being relegated to second class status. Fucking libs have puppy dogs and candy canes between their ears. They think everybody on the planet is just like their neighbor down the street.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Portland...why doesn't this surprise me...fucking idiots.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top