Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 3:47:57 AM EDT
KDKA NEWS LINK

(KDKA) CARNEGIE A Pennsylvania State Trooper is dead after being shot overnight on the Parkway West.

Just after 2 a.m., a Carnegie policeman discovered a state trooper slumped over the steering wheel of the trooper's cruiser on the Parkway West near the Rossyln Farms exit.

The trooper had apparently been shot.

His gun was missing.

Police are looking for a black Mercury Sedan with Pennsylvania license plate FXE 6527.

Police and search dogs are currently searching the near by woods because the suspects are now believed to be in the area.

There could be as many as four suspects.

Police believe they may have split up.

They also found a skull cap believed to belong to one of the suspects in Carnegie.

Many streets in the vicinity are closed.

The trooper's identity has not yet been released.

This sucks, I was just working with some guys from our western barracks this past week.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
damn. this is getting out of control

prayers to him  and his family

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Saw it on the news this morning and passed the scene on the way to work.  Needless to say there were some somber faces on the on/off ramp where the shooting occurred.

Godspeed Trooper,  you will be missed....

Postgazette article from AP
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The Trooper's name was released.  It was Cpl. Joseph Pokorny.  

Watch over the rest of us Cpl.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Update.....

Looks like they got the bastards surrounded.....

Updated Article
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
RIP brother.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Did we miss an announcement for national shoot a cop fest or something?  Seriously? how many is this recently.  R.I.P. Corporal. The more it happens the more I respect the rest of you guys out there hanging it all out to cover our asses.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
damn. this is getting out of control

prayers to him  and his family

Defiantly agree ColtM4, there has been to many post on officers killed.  Something needs to be done, and quick

Prayers sent

Everyone else please stay safe out there
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Update again....

Here

Trooper slain; 2 held after S. Side standoff

Monday, December 12, 2005
By Steve Levin, Jonathan D. Silver and Michael A. Fuoco

State, county and city police surrounded an apartment building on the South Side today and, after a long standoff, took two people into custody in connection with the fatal shooting of a state police corporal.

Cpl. Joseph Pokorny was shot while making a traffic stop shortly after 2 a.m. today in the parking lot of the Extended Stay America hotel near the Carnegie exit of the Parkway West, officials said. A Carnegie Borough officer on routine patrol discovered the body about 10 minutes later after spotting the empty patrol car.

An autopsy today determined Cpl. Pokorny died of a gunshot to the chest. Officials said he had been shot multiple times following what appeared to be a violent struggle.

Police were looking for a black 2001 Mercury sedan, while officers from several departments joined in a manhunt in a wooded area near the shooting, authorities said.

This morning, SWAT teams from several police agencies took up positions around an apartment building in the 2800 block of Sarah Street on the South Side. Several of the small, one-way streets in the area were blocked off.

Police first evacuated some of the units in the building before negotiating the surrender of an unnamed man and woman around 1:15 p.m.

Cpl. Pokorny, 45, was a 22-year veteran of the Pennsylvania State Police, having graduated from the academy in November 1983. He was promoted to corporal in September 2000 and worked as a patrol unit supervisor for Troop B, Pittsburgh, working out of the barracks in Moon.

Cpl. Pokorny was a 1978 graduate of Center Area High School in Monaca, Beaver County.

Cpl. Pokorny, who was twice divorced, is the father of a son, Joseph, 17, and a daughter, Alexandra, 15.

In 1999, he was among 20 federal, state and local law enforcement officers and prosecutors chosen as recipients of Outstanding Performance in Law Enforcement awards by the Law Enforcement Agency Directors, or L.E.A.D, created to encourage cooperation among the 17 law enforcement agencies in Western Pennsylvania.

The last state trooper killed during a traffic stop was Joseph J. Sepp Jr., 34, of Windber, Somerset County, who died Nov. 10, 2002. Trooper Sepp died a day after he was shot in the head following what began as a suspected drunken-driving stop in Ebensburg.

Mark Leach, 48, of New Germany, Cambria County, was convicted of first-degree murder for shooting Sepp and is serving a life sentence.

Please excuse my ignorance especially during the mourning of this fine officer, but if Cpl. Pokorny was wearing a vest, would this not have to be a rifle round that killed him based off of the description in the article?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#11]
looks like he was shot where the chest has no protection from the vest.  like on the side of the chest, under the arm.

the allegheny county poilce super stated this on the local news
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
looks like he was shot where the chest has no protection from the vest.  like on the side of the chest, under the arm.

Thanks, I have not been able to watch the news.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
This is my first post on this site having just deciding to register last night after reading it for several years. I was a friend of Cpl Pokorny's since I got on the job about 13 years ago and I appreciate the kind thoughts and prayers that go out to his family. I'm sure about anyone here would have really liked him and I would be very surprised if he didn't visit this site quite often. When I was new on the job I quickly became known as "one of those gun guys". I used to hang out after work during qualifications with one of the firearms instructors and they introduced me to Joe. We always got along well since we both liked 10mm handguns and thought that we should be carrying one on-duty. I would always try to buy his Colt Delta from him and he always wanted my Bren Ten. We never worked at the same station but always seemed to be in the same troop. Now that I'm a firearms instuctor too, I got to see him on the range during qualifications. He was good and took firearms training seriously. I can't believe this happened to him. I've been off for a few days now(strep throat) so I haven't gotten the whole story yet as to what occurred last night. Please continue to keep his family in your prayers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
RIP sir.

Was it a zylon vest?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with God Trooper
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
R.I.P. Brother
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
All our Prayers from all our Officers our with Cpl Joseph Pokorny's family . and his extended Family
The Troopers Of the Pennsylvania State Police..

If any Troopers are Reading this is there a Fund being setup to help his family through this most difficult times ?

And please post arraingements many of us in the area would like to attend..

We all feel this great loss .

Copk9

Just outside Pittsbugh
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They also found a skull cap believed to belong to one of the suspects in Carnegie.

Do you think they meant this:

or this:

???
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't go back to work until wed. at 1500. I'll post funeral arrangements then. If you're in L.E., I would imagine they will be sending a scope message out, if not, you could call PSP Pittsburgh. I'll also find out about any fund being set up for the family.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Sad....R.I.P and prayers to his family  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks psp6785
I'll check with Alleg Co 911 my dispatch also.
But I would appreciate any info you could post here.

Many of us would like to pay our respects .

Thanks again and be safe.

Copk9
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#22]
RIP Brother, my prayers are with your family.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Mat 5:9
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Tis the season  

Rip brother.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, I have not been able to watch the news.

From the way they were talking on the news, this sounds exactly like what happened. They said something to the effect that it wouldn't matter if he had a vest or not, the area he was shot in wasn't covered. Does this mean he didn't have a vest on? Would like some details about this, if possible.

I live and work not an hour from where this happened. We received a BOLO for the vehicle on Mon morning. Sounds like, from the news descriptions, they have most, if not all, of the perps in custody. I PRAY they bring the hammer down on these pieces of shit!

I've been told that our Sgt is looking into getting some guys together to go to calling hours. With the trouble we've had in filling shifts lately, I don't know if anyone will be able to go, but we're trying. RIP and Godspeed, Cpl. Pokorny.

Bub
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#26]
yes he had  a vest on.  the round missed the vest by 1/2 or so.   we also spent all monday night looking for some of the vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yes he had  a vest on.  the round missed the vest by 1/2 or so.   we also spent all monday night looking for some of the vehicles.

Thanks for the info, shindawia6. I can't see how Officers go on duty without them!

Good luck finding them. I almost hope they are armed and resist for you.

Bub
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry i'm late with this.  Viewing is wed. & thu. 1400-2100hrs at the darroch memorial chapel 2640 mill st aliquippa, pa 15001, Ph#724-375-5571. An FOP service will be held on thu at 1900hrs at the funeral home. Service is on Fri at 1000hrs at St Francis Cabrini Church  Chapel Rd Aliquippa,Pa. A memorial fund has been set up and contributions are being accepted. FOP-Cpl. Joe POKORNY Memorial Fund Citizens Bank, Moon Township Branch. Any questions concerning the memorial fund can be directed to the PSP Pittsburgh station, 412-787-2000. If you're going to call the station, I would probably wait until after the funeral when things calm back down a little. And yes, like the others said, he was wearing his vest but as we all know, it doesn't cover everything. I can't get into many details about it now, but alot of my questions were answered today. Sounds like he did everything as per our regulations (which will probably be changing real soon).  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#29]
RIP. I have a good friend who is a Sgt in the PSP and have not talked to him yet, I'm sure he knows him as they are only a couple years apart. I hope they fry the dirtbags who did this. I can't understand why someone would do this, I guess they have no respect for another human life.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]
PSP:

IM me if you get a chance.  Yours are off.

NorCal
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got back from Joe's funeral.  I never worked with Joe, but I work with many like him.

It was a very moving day.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#32]

RIP Trooper.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#33]
This is getting re-fuckin-diculous.

However many it's been, it's been too-damn many.

RIP Brother. Prayers of course for the family and friends. Check 6 everybody.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Just another update.  Stay safe out there guys, its too close to the holidays to lose another one.  Actually we should never lose another one.

Article

DA says trooper was shot with his own gun
Pokorny never unholstered in fatal stop

Thursday, December 22, 2005
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

State police Cpl. Joseph R. Pokorny was shot and killed with his own service weapon -- one that he likely never drew during a traffic stop that turned fatal, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said yesterday.

Cpl. Joseph R. Pokorny
It had been widely speculated after the Dec. 12 killing outside a Carnegie hotel that the shooter used Cpl. Pokorny's gun, inflicting a fatal wound in the chest and another in the back of his head.

But Mr. Zappala said yesterday that investigators believe Cpl. Pokorny did not unholster, much less fire, his gun as he approached a car with three men inside that he had been pursuing moments earlier at speeds of up to 90 mph.

Mr. Zappala declined to speculate on Cpl. Pokorny's actions and state police would not address the issue.

The fatal bullet entered Cpl. Pokorny's left arm in an area unprotected by the bulletproof vest he was wearing, and tore into his chest, Mr. Zappala said during a news conference.

Investigators have not found the trooper's department-issued weapon, a Beretta semiautomatic handgun. Investigators say they have linked another handgun -- fully loaded -- that was found at the scene to the suspect in Cpl. Pokorny's slaying, Leslie Mollett.

Mr. Zappala said he has not decided whether to seek the death penalty against Mr. Mollett, 30, a convicted drug dealer from Knoxville.

Investigators have charged Mr. Mollett with killing Cpl. Pokorny, 45, of Moon, about 2 a.m. Dec. 12 outside the Extended StayAmerica hotel in Carnegie along the Parkway West.

Mr. Mollett and several associates had been at the Downtown jazz club Dowe's on 9th before leaving in two vehicles, investigators believe. Mr. Mollett drove a car belonging to his girlfriend, Charise Cheatom. In the vehicle with him were Jabbar Odell James, 28, of St. Clair Village, and Phillip Andrew Peterson, 29, of Swissvale.

The other vehicle, eventually recovered in Mount Oliver, contained several people, including Jack Maurice Woods, 23, of McKees Rocks, and two women.

All four men, as well as a fifth, Byron Rice, 26, of Arlington Heights, were questioned by police in connection with Cpl. Pokorny's death.

Mr. Mollett apparently attracted Cpl. Pokorny's attention by speeding, although state police have declined to detail specifics about the pursuit or his radio transmissions with dispatchers.

Shortly after the chase began, Mr. Mollett pulled off the highway and wrecked the car along North Bell Avenue outside the Extended StayAmerica hotel. It is unclear where the other vehicle was at the time.

Mr. Mollett and the two other men left the wrecked car. Mr. Mollett told police that he drove away, leaving his passengers behind.

But the two passengers -- unidentified in the affidavit supporting Mr. Mollett's arrest -- told police that Mr. Mollett began to fight with Cpl. Pokorny. They said they heard multiple gunshots as they fled.

Neither of the passengers has been charged with any crime in connection with Cpl. Pokorny's slaying. Mr. Woods, a fugitive from a halfway house, was arraigned on escape charges, however. And Andrew Lamar Palmer, 21, of St. Clair Village, was charged with drug possession and distribution after police found more than a pound of heroin in a room he rented at the Extended StayAmerica hotel.

A Carnegie police sergeant on routine patrol in the area came upon Cpl. Pokorny's body.

Mr. Zappala yesterday railed against communications problems among police agencies, noting that Carnegie police do not hear state police transmission on their radios.

"I'm not saying the corporal's life could have been saved," Mr. Zappala said. But, he said, "Carnegie potentially could be sitting and waiting for the [traffic] stop to manifest itself."

Mr. Zappala referred to communications problems he said were encountered during a police chase after the 2004 slaying of Andrea Umphrey, 35, of Sheraden. Those issues, he said, have not been resolved despite pressure by his office and municipal police chiefs on county government.

"There's not a system in place that links [various emergency responders] successfully yet," he said. "We had a tragedy previously, and it should have been addressed."

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top