Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/20/2007 6:56:08 PM EDT
So I'm suppossed to get a small refund from the state, but instead I get a letter today that says it's being withheld to pay an outstanding debt from an Arizona court! WTF?

So I call the number on the letter and all it gives is a recording to input my SSN. Upon doing so I get a message that says I have an unpaid judgment out of Tolleson Justice Court and I need to contanct them. Well, I call Tolleson JC and they have no idea what I'm talking about, which I figured was the case. I don't owe anyone any money.

I call the AZ Dept of Revenue and they say it's a debt for 900 some dollars, but they have no other detail except it needs to be paid before I can get my refund. I told her I have no outstanding debts or court liens. She basically says I have no idea what to tell you, call the court. WTF!!

Did some asshole use my SSN? My credit is clean, I just checked it. I'm thinking the state fucked up somewhere on my info and I'm gonna play hell fixing it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:57:13 PM EDT
Sounds like it's time to call the state attorney general.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:59:42 PM EDT
My luck has sucked lately. First this online store charges me twice for something I paid 161 dollars for, and they refuse to admit I was billed twice despite proof, now this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:04:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Misery:
My luck has sucked lately. First this online store charges me twice for something I paid 161 dollars for, and they refuse to admit I was billed twice despite proof, now this.

Call your Credit Card company and demand to put a dispute on the charge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:04:42 PM EDT
Someone with a name very similar to yours owes child support, would be my guess.
You will get this straightened out, and have to do it again, and again, and again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2007 7:25:17 PM EDT by TomHighway]
I would probably write a letter to the AZ Dept of Revenue asking them to tell you specifically who you owe money to, the amount, when the debt arose, etc. If you already have this information (which you may), I would also write a letter to the agency or department that the AZ Dept of Revenue says caused the refund to be withheld. My sense is a letter will create a document that will make them research the issue, while a phone call may not. Chances are you will never get someone one the phone that knows anything about your case.

Another idea would be to go in person to the AZ Dept of Revenue or the agency at issue and talk to someone there. This can sometimes be a lot more effective than a phone call. When you deal with these folks, remember to keep the discussion focused on this debt that they say you owe, and not on your tax return. Make them show you documentation of what they are talking about. Get copies of all records they show you and keep them together in a file. The backup for their actions has to exist somewhere. Assuming this was a mistake, you should be able to find it pretty quick.

For this year's tax return, you might want to adjust your withholdings to make sure that you owe a little tax instead of a refund, just to be safe.

Good luck mate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:25:23 PM EDT
I'm an Arizona resident too & my state tax refund check is waaayyy over due, but its not worth it to me go hassle with those white trash idiots who work for state since its only a like a $10 refund.

I fear our AZ tax refund money is being gambled away by some thief in the tax department at Indian casino somewhere as we speak
Top Top