Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
4/18/2021 9:59:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:15:52 PM EDT
This happened back in March but just ran across it while looking for something else...

State Police Conduct Driver's License Checkpoint <<< Video in that link including interview with the Trooper

WILKINSBURG, Pa. -- Pennsylvania State Police conducted a valid driver's license checkpoint on Monday on the Wilkinsburg ramp exit to the Parkway East.

Officers asked drivers if they had a valid driver's license. The lines were long and delays annoyed most drivers, but police said the checkpoint was worth the trouble.

"The reason that we do these checkpoints is to reduce the number of fatalities that we have on our highways," said state police Trooper Robin Mungo. "We also want to reduce the number of traffic crashes."

The checkpoint was conducted much like a DUI checkpoint, only police asked drivers for their license, registration and proof of insurance.

But Mungo said the checkpoints often bring in much more.

On Friday and Monday, during a total of nine hours, troopers issued 90 citations, arrested two wanted people, made two DUI arrests, one drug arrest, had four cars towed and wrote between about 60 warnings.

"It's just to make sure that everyone is carrying the documents they're supposed to be carrying and if you're doing the right thing, so what if you're only being held up five minutes, because there's going to be someone else who is not doing the right thing, and those are going to be the people you want us to get off of the road," said Mungo.

Have heard of DUI & Seatbelt checkpints, but this was the first DL checkpoint.

The exit ramp where that was held is a long blind curve - with no options for U-turns or exits. It's also one way, does that contradict SCOTUS rulng that U-turns had to be permitted or has that sort of gone away?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:21:02 PM EDT
Some states have ruled that DUI checkpoints are illegal,  so the cops come up with other excuses to set up DUI checkpoints under different names.    

It's simply an abuse of power.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:32:41 PM EDT

Quoted:
Some states have ruled that DUI checkpoints are illegal,  so the cops come up with other excuses to set up DUI checkpoints under different names.    

It's simply an abuse of power.

CJ

RTFO
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:34:08 PM EDT
I guess the "Papers, please" joke would be a little too damned easy for this story, since that's exactly what is happening.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:37:38 PM EDT
I am all for road side green card checkponts But they have to catch the seat belt violators first...no time for enforcing immigration laws
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:42:10 PM EDT
Wow you guys will whine about anything.

We did these all the time and almost always got some good arrests out of them.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:43:41 PM EDT

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:45:03 PM EDT

Quoted:
I guess the "Papers, please" joke would be a little too damned easy for this story, since that's exactly what is happening.

Quoted:

But as a honest citizen being detained at the goobermint's whim kinda kills "Land of the Free" don't it?

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:45:05 PM EDT

Quoted:

yeah, and the other 1000's of citizens who were just going about their lawful business, well too fucking bad for them huh?
all for the greater good.

Constitution?  what's that, we don't need that, it's all for the greater good.
JBT's indeed
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:45:51 PM EDT
I feel safer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:47:12 PM EDT

Quoted:

I don't have a problem with it.
Unfortunately, the dysfunctional part is, if you catch an illegal alien, and he has not commited any other crime, you would have to let him go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:48:43 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, the dysfunctional part is, if you catch an illegal alien, and he has not commited any other crime, you would have to let him go.

What about driving without a license?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:54:22 PM EDT

Quoted:

If "anything" is encroaching my Constitutional rights, yeah.  I'll do more than whine about it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:54:31 PM EDT

Quoted:

so if you do house to house searches and get some good arrests then that would be ok with you too?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:56:49 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, the dysfunctional part is, if you catch an illegal alien, and he has not committed any other crime, you would have to let him go.

What about driving without a license?

And what happens then? Would they be deported as they should be? No.
At worst jailed briefly and told to appear, then released, and never seen again.
This scenario repeats itself thousands of times every month across the US.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:00:12 PM EDT
Ihre papier bitte.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:04:03 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, they call ICE and get rid of the critters here. Happens all the time on I-80.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:24:08 PM EDT

Quoted:

Like what? People who maybe forgot their wallet at home?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:25:04 PM EDT
Glad they cant do checkpoints here
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:29:29 PM EDT
just show them your reg, dl and ins. card. takes a couple seconds, and you'll be on your way.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:35:01 PM EDT

Quoted:
just show them your reg, dl and ins. card. takes a couple seconds, and you'll be on your way.

Da, mein meister.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:49:36 PM EDT

Quoted:

And that make sit all right?

If the police did random, warrantless searches through peoples' homes, you'd get all sorts of "good arrests", too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:51:41 PM EDT

Quoted:

Your comment disgusts me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:54:12 PM EDT
Well I feel my constitutional rights are violated when a drunk driver runs into my house, my vehicle, or over myself or family.  I'm in favor of vehicle check points.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:54:59 PM EDT
I got stopped at a drivers license checkpoint on my way to the range yesterday, they had at least 20 cars lined up on the side of the road
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:01:15 PM EDT
Be sure to fly your flag tomorrow to honor those who have died fighting for your freedoms. So what if some want to stomp on them, if it gets a few good arrests.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:05:50 PM EDT
Robin looks like a dumb twat with that chinstrap and all....LOL
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:09:58 PM EDT

Quoted:

After you've waited in line for 15 minutes, anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:10:01 PM EDT

Quoted:

Yeah, after you fuggin' sit in a line, burning expensive-ass fuel for 20 minutes...

Screw that BS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:10:41 PM EDT
Freedom or 'security'.  Pick one.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:13:07 PM EDT

Quoted:
Freedom or 'security'.  Pick one.

FREEDOM!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:15:39 PM EDT
Police in my little one horse town set up a checkpoint every Friday and Saturday night.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:18:22 PM EDT
If you don't like it, don't drive on public roads
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:28:52 PM EDT
Makes the fuzz feel good to write a ticket. Sneaky fuzz wonder why people don't like them. Road blocks, hiding in medians, etc.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:31:22 PM EDT
I guess PA is a police state.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:36:12 PM EDT

Quoted:
I guess PA is a police state.

Most of the locals are pretty cool, but PSP has some real pieces of work.

The former State Police Commissioner (who was a zealot for these types of programs) was busted back in December after rear-ending a parked car. His BAC was 0.183

HIC

Story didn't even make the Philly or Pittsburgh news - bad PR for pet programs.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:47:21 PM EDT
This is purely a States Right issue.

In NY it is legal to stop traffic for a checkpoint; all traffic must be stopped in the same fashion.

In most cases they just visual the tags and stickers.

This is purely traffic enforcement.

Last week they removed some unsafe trucks from I490- I believe that to good police work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:55:50 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, they call ICE and get rid of the critters here. Happens all the time on I-80.

You are saying they deport them? Sure doesn't happen here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:03:12 PM EDT

Have heard of DUI & Seatbelt checkpints, but this was the first DL checkpoint.

All checkpoints are the same
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:06:06 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are saying they deport them? Sure doesn't happen here.

PA has an active 'catch & release' program for illegals See p3 for county by county breakdown & p12 for specific instances
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:17:07 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, and the other 1000's of citizens who were just going about their lawful business, well too fucking bad for them huh?
all for the greater good.

Constitution?  what's that, we don't need that, it's all for the greater good.
JBT's indeed

Well since the Constitution has nothing to do with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania enforcing it's drivers laws what the fuck are you and the other crybabies  dribbling about?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:20:20 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because you know shit about Constitutional law.  Now suppose you tell us what part of the Constitution applies, other than those giving the police powers to the states and commonwealths which they are lawfully applying.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:27:02 PM EDT

Quoted:

Sure, no problem!

And when they want to search your car, you know, "just to make sure you don't have anything you aren't supposed to", that just takes a minute or two.  If you argue, you'll be there for hours and they'll wind up searching anyway, right?

And the next time you want to board a plane or a train, or to cross state lines, and they want to ask you where you're going, for how long, for what purpose... just take a few seconds and answer them, right?  After all, it isn't like you have anything to hide, right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:28:26 PM EDT

Quoted:
Well I feel my constitutional rights are violated when a drunk driver runs into my house, my vehicle, or over myself or family.  I'm in favor of vehicle check points.

You might become a victim of random "gun violence", too, so surely you wouldn't object to some more reasonable gun control, right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:31:53 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because you know shit about Constitutional law.  Now suppose you tell us what part of the Constitution applies, other than those giving the police powers to the states and commonwealths which they are lawfully applying.

So the Constitution doesn't apply to the states, huh?  I guess the Fourteenth Amendment was repealed while I wasn't paying attention.  I suppose, next time your state wants to pass some gun control laws you won't be objecting, because sheeeit, the Constitution doesn't apply

What the fuck is going on here?  Now we have people openly applauding police state tactics?  What the fuck is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:00:44 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the Constitution doesn't apply to the states, huh?  I guess the Fourteenth Amendment was repealed while I wasn't paying attention.  I suppose, next time your state wants to pass some gun control laws you won't be objecting, because sheeeit, the Constitution doesn't apply

What the fuck is going on here?  Now we have people openly applauding police state tactics?  What the fuck is wrong with you?

No and if you had paid attention in High School Civics you would have learned that with few exceptions the Constitution DOES NOT apply to the states and almost ALL police powers are reserved to the states.  Some of the amendments have been incorporated to apply to the states and some haven't

Here's a little hint, why do the states all have different gun laws, why do most have different laws of arrest, search and seizure (although some of these have been incorporated), why do they all have different motor vehicle laws? (although many are VOLUNTARILY adopting the Uniform Vehicle Code)  because the states and commonwealths retain the police powers and in the case being discussed PA law applies.

And in case you haven't noticed even though you live here CA gun control laws??? have you ever wondered why they can pass the laws??  I suggest you look in the CA STATE Constitution and find out what it says about the right to keep and bear arms.  Because SHEEIT the 2nd Amendment does NOT apply.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:05:40 PM EDT
not only is this a blatant abuse of power, but they so t even do it right by arresting and deporting any illegals they find
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:20:01 PM EDT
Driving is not a constitutionally protected right. You are licensed by the state, therefore they have every legal right to see if you are operating with all required items, i.e. license, insurance, etc.

Alot of you people need some zoloft or atavan(sp?).
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:25:55 PM EDT
I always hear people go off the deep end about check points, invasion of privacy etc,..IMO if you are not drunk, have current vehicle registration,insurance and a valid DL then, who cares. I wouldn't be like the guy in the BP (border patrol) video, " Am I being detained " sir can I ask where you are coming from " Am I being detained ". I wouldn't resort to that type of bullshit might get you locked up for the night.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:27:12 PM EDT
pretty lame fishing expedition...

All you can do is offer your dl, insurance, and a firm 'go pound sand' when asked for consent to search...
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:28:10 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No and if you had paid attention in High School Civics you would have learned that with few exceptions the Constitution DOES NOT apply to the states and almost ALL police powers are reserved to the states.  Some of the amendments have been incorporated to apply to the states and some haven't

Here's a little hint, why do the states all have different gun laws, why do most have different laws of arrest, search and seizure (although some of these have been incorporated), why do they all have different motor vehicle laws? (although many are VOLUNTARILY adopting the Uniform Vehicle Code)  because the states and commonwealths retain the police powers and in the case being discussed PA law applies.

And in case you haven't noticed even though you live here CA gun control laws??? have you ever wondered why they can pass the laws??  I suggest you look in the CA STATE Constitution and find out what it says about the right to keep and bear arms.  Because SHEEIT the 2nd Amendment does NOT apply.

Whether it's up to the individual states or not, it's still bullshit, and just an excuse for a fishing expedition.  Seriously, a "driver's license checkpoint" was the best they could come up with?  As far as traffic laws go, I'm sure forgetting your license at the house ranks right at the top of the list of serious violations.  Even the DUI articles that appear in the newspaper rarely list someone committing that violation.  

Traffic enforcement indeed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top