Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:52:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 2:53:15 PM EST by FACTS]
...........I know that will take off and generate a massive amount of traffic.

How does one start a site simular?

How does this thing come to be? I have no idea, I'm just a drafter. But I believe my idea is a lock.

Where can I go to preserve this idea? Can I get a patent?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:52 PM EST
Good luck is all I have to say. Get a lawyer that knows his stuff first off, and second off, only listen to him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:03:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 3:05:22 PM EST by david_g17]
I've seen lots of social networking sites fail. Heck, I've worked on a few.

Even if the idea is good and unique, people may ignore it.

The first rule of thumb is to have a good domain name. Nothing too difficult to spell/remember.

eta:
Also, plan to spend a few years and lots of money trying to get traffic to it.

eta2:
Spammers will take over if you don't monitor it 24/7 - that will cause people to leave rather quickly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:06:59 PM EST
Buy the domain name and server space and get coding.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By odiedodi:

how do I find coding?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:52:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By FACTS:

how do I find coding?

You need to learn how to program or hire somebody to do it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:57:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By azych:
Originally Posted By FACTS:

how do I find coding?

You need to learn how to program or hire somebody to do it.

turns out this isn't my cup of tea.

My idea is for sale.

it will be full of traffic soon I'm sure.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:10:40 PM EST
Getting a single server up with a simple idea isn't all that bad. There are plenty of tools out there that let you do something fairly sophisticated pretty fast. The trick is getting it to scale out, so it's up 7/24/365, with millions of users, with multiple data center sites.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:16:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By mcgredo:
Getting a single server up with a simple idea isn't all that bad. There are plenty of tools out there that let you do something fairly sophisticated pretty fast. The trick is getting it to scale out, so it's up 7/24/365, with millions of users, with multiple data center sites.

It will have every one every day posting it.

I'll sell my idea but I'd rather keep my idea and profit.

It sounds odd but it needs to start now or someone else is going to take advantage.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:34:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 9:36:41 PM EST by zuuk]
I'll buy your idea for one penny.

getting traffic isn't the trick.

it's getting the right traffic for your potential advertisers since alot of internet marketing has moved away from paying per view, to paying per click - they want actions, not just eyes; no clicks, no advertisers, no money.

eta: plus you're comparing it to twitter which means they will be your direct competition. Not good either since they are well established.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:38:16 PM EST
My consulting fee starts at $175/hour - I will help you with everything from what type of servers, datacenters, network connections, storage connections, and programming languages to use.

Guns can be substituted for the fee....

And I am only partially joking. Deal with this stuff everyday - if you want to do it right the first time, it won't be cheap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:45:26 PM EST
I hate to burst your bubble a bit, but "ideas" rarely have value. Implementation has value. Infrastructure has value. Cash flow has value.

Anyone can come up with an idea. When I was a little kid, I "invented" speed dialing. I decided it would be handy to have a single button you could push and it would dial the number much faster than twirling that rotary dial around (yes, I guess I'm a geezer). Needless to say, the idea was all I had.

When I worked for AT&T many moons ago, I "invented" pre-paid cell phones, long before such a thing was available. I even submitted my idea to corporate HQ in hopes of getting a little bonus incentive. All I got was a form letter saying thanks for the idea, we'll think about it.

If you really want to sell it, flesh it out a bit. Write up screen shots and a basic review of what your web site will do, what it offers to those that come to your site, how you will earn money (pay per click ads, direct link ads, subscription fees from members, or a combination thereof), and a good reason why people will choose your site over your competition. If you don't have competition now, you will if you create a popular site.

Explain why you think people want your service, when they are seemingly perfectly content without it now (since as you claim no one else offers it). How did you determine it's a good idea? Do you have any studies or polls to back it up, or do you just like the idea and your cousin Jimmy said it would be cool?

There's a lot of work in selling a non-operating business idea. It's far easier to sell an existing operation with cash flow. If you really want the money, do the leg work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:06:28 PM EST
start up the site

get angel investors; see this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Calacanis

rebuild site but better

profit?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:11:47 PM EST
if you can't get someone to buy in to the extent that they'll work to build your vision, you don't have anything.
Top Top